Carbon or alkaline battery?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Alligatorbling, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

bossaddict and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Carbon = Vintage!
    Alkaline = Modeling!
    :D

3. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Oh no's I never use batteries! Have i been led astray by my fancy power supply? :Ohno:

northernguitarguy and LeftyF2003 like this.
  4. joff

joff Senior Member

Not if it has 'Battery Sag Controls'. :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I've been using alkaline in my Analogman Sun Face, but I'll give carbon a try after this. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

And as I'm reading/writing this, I remembered that I left the cable plugged into my Sun Face last night. :doh:

7. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Alkaline batteries are also the ones prone to bleeding.

If you have a pedal that you don't use very often NEVER leave an alkaline battery in it.

8. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I heard tell that Dwayne Allman used to like nearly dead batteries in his dirt pedal as it sounded better when it was starved for voltage. The only risk with that is the battery dying in the middle of a solo... :rofl:

9. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Basically all that article says in a reallllllly long winded way (although it is quite interesting) is that starving your fuzz pedal of a little bit of voltage will make it sound better/vintage correct.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, for pennies you can make a little voltage sag box to adjust the voltage into your pedal (so you could use it with whatever power supply you want)

10. ivan H

ivan H Member

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_pedschm.gif
    Here is R G Keen's (GEOFX) schematic for an adjustable voltage (sag) supply. In the past I have made these & they work very well. As carbon batteries run down the internal resistance of the battery increases. This effect can be simulated by placing a resistance of say, 100 - 150 ohms in series with the supply. This resistance is shown as Rbat on the above schematic. Can be made adjustable by using a pot. The supplies under my board feature adjustable supplies, I put a 120 ohm supply resistor internally on my germanium fuzz's & treble booster's. Cheers

Mookakian likes this.
  11. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Yup. I hate batteries, and using a power supply where you can adjust/sag voltage works fine for those few pedals for which it makes any difference, and has the huge benefit of reliability. It would be nice if the builders of pedals that thrive on lower voltages would build the sag right into their circuit.

12. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Believer here, germanium fuzz love carbon non alkaline, wont go back!

13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Can someone make this sag bix into a laymens term drawing... im pretty formiliar with scems but this is confusing me... id love to build something to add to my 9v 100mA out on the Ciosk DC10 for fuzz use, a perf board type diagram would be killer and i bet a few would try it if it was a little more friendly for dummies :)

Run a standard power cable into a small box then out of that into the fuzz, ive got a battery clip cable for the ciosk but need the sag effect, or i could easily add a standard female socket onn the fuzz.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 9:31 AM
  14. ivan H

ivan H Member

Ok, here is a couple of PCB layouts from the GEOFX page C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_pedalbd.gif coutesy of R G Keen.
    On the left of the pic is a layout incorporating a power supply transformer, on the right side of the pic is a layout for just the circuit board where you use your own AC supply. I would suggest going over to GEOFX home page. At the upper left of the page you will see a heading "Regular Features". Directly under that is the heading (title) "FX Skill/How-To's-Schematics and More". Click on that, then go down the page to find the pedal power supply (adjustable) article. I've tried posting a link to in the past & it just gets the home page. Hope this helps. Cheers

Edit; you need to use a 12VAC supply as the regulator needs to be supplied with a few volts more than the intended maximum output. All pedal power supplies work like this. An AC/9VDC wall wart has a transformer that outputs a minimum of 11VAC, same with 8 supply power bricks. The Weber transformer for a DIY 8 spot supply has 8 x 11VAC secondary windings. Cheers

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Mookakian likes this.
  15. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

I think Ivan is talking about building one from scratch.

If you just want to create a voltage sag control from your pedal supply, a simple box with a in and out for the 9v and a potentiometer is really all you need.

eg.

Divider voltage sag.gif

Mookakian likes this.
  16. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Thats what i were thinking broko... now im confused lol Ill just keep a good supply of batteries and play safe :)

17. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Depends on the pedal. Vintage style Wah's and Germanium Fuzz boxes seem to prefer Alkaline...

That said, I dumped using 9V batteries years ago. I've done enough damage polluting the world with dead batteries for my FX.