Capacitor Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by gtrwanka, Jan 21, 2009.

1. gtrwanka

gtrwanka Member

Hi

Im doing some upgrade on my les paul and I wanted your opinions or suggestions.

Im completely new to the whole capacitor thing so anything would be appreciated.

Im soon getting a set of Rio Grande humbuckers and was wondering what cap would work well with these and where I can get them?

2. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

Try no caps, thats what I do. I take em' out.

:thumb:

3. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

There are many opinions and nearly as many threads as opinions on this forum. Search a bit, you'll see what I mean.

4. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I installed a BBQ Humbucker in an MLP member's R8 tonight, and he had the .022 Luxe BumbleBee repros in it...sounded great.

Those are available at RS Guitarworks.

I also installed some WB Firewaters in his LP Traditional, and we used some .022 PIO Hyrel caps (like Vitamin Qs) from MLP member Jonesy...also sounded great.

Either way you can't lose.

BB

5. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

Gotta be careful with those Bar-B-Q 'buckers...those things are thick as a brick...

My suggestion is to go with an RS Guitarcap, which is transparent when the Tone control is on '10'...or no cap at all..

Yes, those pickups are that dark....

YMMV/My 2ยข/IMHO/void in Rhode Island:naughty:

6. gtrwanka

gtrwanka Member

Im confused. If I dont put a cap in, wont the tone knob not work?

What exactly is it that the cap does then?

7. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Hey Billy--we A/B'd the guitarcap vs the Luxe.

To our ears, the Guitarcap opened up up the pickup, but seemed to roll off some low end. We put the Luxe back in, and it brought it all back.

With my amp we liked the Luxe, but Jeff needs to run that guitar through the Bogner...that'll be the final call. :D

Thanks for help with that, btw. :dude::wave:

BB

PS--burned myself TWICE doing those two guitars...managed to drop a small blob of molten solder on the back of my hand, and drew the tip across the top of a finger...self-critiquing, that is...

:D

8. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

No need to be confused. I just don't use tone controls on the guitar, so I disconnect them. Get them out of the signal chain, and out of my way. I want the full power from the pickups to the amp.
    Wide F**kin' Open!

:dude:

9. b-squared

b-squared Banned

That all depends on your style of music and the rig you're using as well, right?

If you're EVH, then sure--no cap or tone control needed...play on 10, open the amps all the way.

Me--I have to cover Jazzy stuff to Drop-D rock...I need the tone controls.

BB

10. WildeStarr

WildeStarr V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I know many guys use them. I just never do, so a few years ago.... I went through most of my guitars and disconnected the tone pots. I like it simple, direct, and straightforward like that.

:thumb:

11. gtrwanka

gtrwanka Member

SO should i go for the .022s?

Also, since im changing the caps, should i replace the pots as well? What will influence the tone more? The pots, caps or everything put togehter? Maybe i should get the pre-wired modern set from RS?

Sorry for being such a noob...

12. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Hey man--a couple of years ago I was in the same boat.

I got hooked up with Billy on another forum, and ordered a kit--tried installing it myself after he encouraged me. I got a pre-wired vintage kit for my R9. The sound change was dramatic...literally--like a blanket was pulled off the cab. :D (Side note: I sent my guitar to RS for some work, and Billy gently chided me on my soldering job--the ground just came off in his hands...lol. I've since gotten much better.:D)

My stock pots had no taper to speak of; they were pretty much on/off switches. The RS stuff kicks butt.

I have their Superpots (for volume) and CTS pots (tone) in 4 of my guitars. :D

Give them a call, and ask for Billy--he can help you out.

There are several vendors that sell this stuff; I got started with RS, and have used their parts pretty much exclusively...I like the way they do business. Southern hospitality and common sense. They also don't talk down to anybody...great folks out there in Kentucky. :D

Just my 2 cents.

BB

13. gtrwanka

gtrwanka Member

alright man. Thanks, i really appreciate it.

After i finally think ive figured out everything i need to know about guitar setup/maintenance, i find out that the smallest electronic parts of the guitar can dramatically affect the tone!

Well, so continues the search for perfection! (loving it too)

14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

true

15. gtrwanka

gtrwanka Member

i ordered an upgrade kit from them last night. 4 pots, 2 caps and a ground wire.

I have a ground plate in my guitar right now and from doing lots of browsing, it seems beneficial to remove that. I think i will remove that later. Only reason im a little hesitant is because i have no idea how to wire the braided cable to the pickup selector to the guts. any pictures or places i can look it up?

16. b-squared

b-squared Banned

There's plenty of wiring diagrams on the forum, it may even be a sticky in this forum. :D

If you have particular questions, call Billy--that's his job. :D

BB

17. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

I've always been a huge proponent of pitching the metal plate in Les Pauls---they didn't need them in 1952-1960, so.... :hmm: ...not to mention that they make the guitar muddy-sounding. My best example is a friend down in Florida was having trouble getting his LP to sound good, and I suggested that he remove the plate first. He did (and didn't change out the pots or caps), and he was amazed at the difference. There are examples with some members here on the MLP Forum. Others claim 'BS', but I stand by my claims.

I've wired up entire guitars (from the 3-way switch all the way to the individual pots to the pickups) over the phone. :cool: If it will help you, I make pre-wired 3-way switches---> >>Pre-Wired 3-Way Switch<<

If not, there are ways to utilize the existing 3-way switch harness that exists in your guitar---you just have to be a little creative with wire & solder...:D

[​IMG]

18. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

That's what I'm going to do...

[​IMG]

19. gtrwanka

gtrwanka Member

So were just replacing the colored wires with the braided cable. So you have to make sure you make sure the wires go to the right place in the pot cavity right? I should be able to do it if i replace each colored wire one at at time without mixing things up.

After that, i need a ground wire between the pots because Im getting rid of the ground plate.

sounds right?

20. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I'm getting rid of mine....