Can you genuinely purchase a world class mattress for $259? Six month review with stunning results

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by NRBQ, Feb 10, 2018.

1. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

"I am a piece of shit?" - SixAngryStrings

No you're not a road apple, truth be known, many good old down to earth folks are partial to a bit of the black cock from time to time; and that just seems to bring out the Gay in all of us. So lets all raise a stiff one lads and ladies and get that down your neck! Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    WaywerdSon and SixAngryStrings like this.
  2. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

3. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

YES Free market competition, i's a perfect example of how a smaller company can make a tremendous product at an amazingly low price and not cut corners on quality. Proof that the right combination of foam or foams doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. I'm sure we'll be seeing more and more of companies that make great beds and can use our advances to make them affordable to everyone. Now that I'm sleeping so wonderfully, it's not about "cheap" it's about "quality meets value" my mattress isn't cheap at all, it's inexpensive, there's a difference. HA Take that Temper Pedic Fat Cats!

wildhawk1 likes this.
  4. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

BTW For anyone that might have interest, here is the 'Best Price Mattress' official Web Page, that has more detail about them, their story all of that stuff. It's nice to see what they have to say.

http://www.bpmatt.com/

5. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

I shuffled our old one out to the garage before pitching it afraid that the new one would get a wifey reject.

Once given the thumbs up it was off to the dump with springster.

I'm sure at some point the old school mattress companies will have to cave and put their name on the new tech albeit at a much smaller profit per unit.

With tens of thousands of glowing reviews on memory foam mattresses it seemed silly to not give it a try.

6. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

How about the edges, do they collapse when you sit on them or lay on them awhile?

NRBQ likes this.
  7. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

Off gassing foam? I've slept on em before, had to do a push-up to turn on the darn thing to get out of the hole it forms around you. Deal breaker.
    Then there's the off gassing that you probably won't notice.

8. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I'm generally a hot sleeper and starting this summer when I got the mattress I've had no problems overheating or feeling like the mattress was too hot or was retaining too much heat. I bought one of the higher end soft waterproof mattress covers and since I only use a comforter and not a top sheet, I put the non fitted top sheet under the fitted sheet; if that makes sense. It's worked out very well, it's a little extra cotton underneath, it just ads a tad bit more comfort.

If I'm not mistaken that third vented layer is for flex and dispersing heat, I think that's what their info stated. I think I posted their web page, I'm so busy at work my mind is turning to jelly these days.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    electric head likes this.
  9. Malikon

for what it's worth you have me very interested in getting one. Especially because it's cheap and can be delivered easily.

I'm also somewhat curious just to see a mattress in a box that expands. :laugh2:

But my mattress sucks. Next time there's bulk pick-up in my neighborhood I think I'm going to ditch my crappy metal frame and mattress and spring for a nice frame and one of these foam ones. They sound pretty comfortable and my current mattress really sucks. My back and shoulders and ribs hurt every morning when I wake up from the springs poking them.

10. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I'll stay away from the mucky muck and just say that a traditional inner spring/box spring mattress combo has one and only one advantage over a foam bed; and that of course is the motion you can get from the ocean. But, the benefits of the kind of quality sleep you get from a foam bed over a traditional setup are well worth it. Get a F'n mask and sex swing already you lazy F*cks! Geez what do I have to tell you everything.

electric head likes this.
  11. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I've had no problems with that, it certainly doesn't feel soft on the edges. I'm about 180 and very firm on the edges. The interesting thing about this mattress is that it's really firm, then as you lay it sort of softens up a little, then in about 10 minutes or so it just eases up a bit more, and it becomes much softer than you would think as you just sit on it or lay down for a minute or two. It sort of transforms from firm to medium soft.

12. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I don't know what off gassing is, but I can say that I have smelled zero odor from the mattress. It's possible it's there and I'm just not noticing, but I think they use a couple of things like tea extract and charcoal to help neutralize the possible smells. Tea extract and charcoal, might as well be shampoo.

But the big thing I wanted to say is that this mattress does NOT envelop you or swallow you at all, no holes not caverns, and it's very easy to turn over, as I'm a side sleeper and a fairly consistent turner/flipper.

13. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I'm a side sleeper and I've got some shoulder problems and the daily pain I feel has subsided to a great degree because this bed has such great pressure point relief. And my back feels so much better. I still wake up with a sore back here and there, a bed can't erase life, but sure can soften the blow. I now get a really cool feeling before bed, just knowing that the moment I lay down that I'll feel super bliss. It's sort of crazy, but I'm not sh*tting you. When you see it unfurl as it were you just won't believe the quality, and the weight, it looks, feels, and sleeps like a very expensive mattress. You'll see.

Malikon likes this.
  14. Malikon

how do you tell the top from bottom? The pics online just look like a white box? Does it say 'this end up' ? :laugh2:

does it really take 72 hours to expand?

did you have to put a piece of wood or very thick cardboard over the bed-frame slats so the mattress doesn't sink inbetween the slats? (give it a totally flat surface to lay on?)

.....I could research all this but I'm feeling lazy so easier to just ask you. :laugh2:

I'm liking the look of some of these setups. Clean and simple looking.

71dVfHOdw5L._SL1500_.jpg

71x5Rh5mx4L._SL1500_.jpg

That 2nd pic looks nice /\/\/\ very simple and classy

15. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

That doesn't look like the same bed I purchased although the Best Price Mattress Inc makes a bunch of mattresses, even inner spring if I'm not mistaken. Mine is called the 12" Grand Queen I'm pretty sure. Again, it's in the OP and later on I posted their actual web site that has all kinds of info about their products etc. BTW, mine from the OP has a stripe or line that goes around the bed about a quarter from the top. The picture shows which side is up because of that line. I seem to remember that the instructions said it doesn't take that long to fully expand, I opened mine up in the morning and it seemed to expand to almost full size in minutes, and I slept on it that same night. I've had no problems at all to speak of, matter of fact, I'm refreshed this morning from a really comfortable nights sleep.

16. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

The matress in a box craze lately is a lot of people trying to get a piece of the pie. Matress margins are huge and there are not many quality memory foam MFG’s in North America. Remember I said “quality”. Most are using the same foam and dressing it up differently. They are decent, don’t get me wrong, but mattresses now have quite a bit of technology and R&D behind them now than 20 years ago. Still, it is any furniture companies #1 money maker.

17. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Although I couldn't tell you for sure, I'd bet that my mattress was made in China, just a slightly educated hunch. To me none of it makes any difference at all if it isn't comfortable to sleep on nightly. I lucked out because I just couldn't spend the higher dollars on a bed, just didn't have it. It's a marvel and proof positive that you don't need high end technology to make an incredibly comfortable mattress. I don't need any science to tell me that, I know it's true because I get a great nights sleep every night, night after night.

Hey maybe it's kaput in three years, only time will tell, but for $260 it's not a big deal either way. And I suspect this mattress will long endure. I'd like to thank Abe Lincoln for that last bit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  18. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

The off gassing is an important factor for anything made overseas. Domestic stuff can do the same but you hope that NA standards keep things in check. If you can sleep well on it and it feels good to you then you have won. Some people have very specific needs and preferences for sleeping which necessitates moving into a higher price bracket. You do get more but there are diminishing returns on comfort when you get into the super high end range. MFG’s spend a lot of time developing the ticking pattern (basically the design on the top of the bed) for beds even though most people put sheets on and would never see it. We buy with our eyes too as much as actual comfort.

19. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Yeah I'm just like that, I have very specific needs for sleeping too. Small world.

20. Malikon

I've spent half my life sleeping like a rat on the floor in a pile of blankets. :laugh2: I'm not really that picky usually, when I'm tired I can sleep almost anywhere.

This bed in a box mattress for a couple hundred bucks has me interested though. I could buy a nice looking frame and mattress for $500. or less? that's a score. :dude: