Can you genuinely purchase a world class mattress for $259? Six month review with stunning results

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by NRBQ, Feb 10, 2018.

1. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

This is almost a public service announcement because I'm so happy with the purchase and my memory foam mattress and the increase in the quality of my sleep that it has lead me to post this thread in case any of my fellow MLP brethren may now be looking for a quality mattress but are light in the wallet as I was. Damn talk about your run on sentence.

The answer to the threads title in a word: YES! This is a six month review/followup from a review thread I posted here when I first got the mattress in July of 2017. The bottom line is this is the very best mattress I've ever owned by far, it's not even close. I will never buy another inner spring mattress again, I'm a foamer now boys! Well that sounded a little weird. Oh well I stand by it, I'm a foamer!

Choices: Temper-Pedic $5000 > $3000 not possible. All the new ones like Purple, and Leeza, and Caspar, all good, but even at $1500 or so to $800 was still too much, I just bought my first house, I'm tapped and need a true bargain that doesn't suck. Then you get into the cheap stuff "furniture warehouse our prices won't be beat" places.. worthless/pointless backbreaking crap. I'm screwed, I'm like a Dead Head high on acid with an " I need a Miracle" sign hanging around his unwashed hippie neck...kidding... so off to the internet I went.

Just by happenstance, I came across a group known as "Best Price Mattress Inc" and the price for their queen size was $289 on Walmart.com. I thought at least it was affordable, so I started looking at the reviews and was blown away by the sheer number of verified very satisfied customer reviews that were there. There were hundreds and hundreds of great reviews for all their mattresses, I kept reading on and on it went. That's what really caught my eye big time. All the reviews said the same thing..."I was skeptical because of the price but took a chance because of all the positive reviews, and I'm super glad I did" So I pulled the trigger, and like all the reviewers I'm super glad I did.

The ingredients used in the bed aren't descended from the technology Gods, just simple high quality foams. It's made of (top to bottom) 1" of plush foam, 2" of memory foam, 3" of ventilated foam (the crumple zone) and 6" of high density foam (you don't flip the mattress) and that's it. Nothing cutting edge technology wise, the mattress also has an absolutely top notch outer cover. It's very substantial; also a heavy substantial 80 or so lbs. There is no transfer of motion to partner either.

It's so amazingly comfortable that when I first slept in it, I'd have this almost euphoric feeling as I settled in, it was so embracing, I just couldn't believe it. I see the commercials on tv for this mattress or that, and they all say that's the way it is, but this was the first time I actually truly felt that way from a mattress. Seriously had a giddy feeling of bliss and slept like a baby for the first time in years. Very unexpected. Thought that feeling would would wear off like new white sneakers as they lose their luster, but that hasn't happened at all, it's the opposite, I get the most incredible feeling of comfort when I crash for the night, I know it's going to be great. It's 6 months in and the mattress feels even better now. It's truly uncanny regardless of price paid.

Just a heads up on it's personality.

It's a firm feeling bed (no need for a box spring btw) when you first lay down, and after a minute or so you feel it shift inward just a bit, then after about 5 or 10 minutes your body heat hits that third pleated level and it embraces you just a bit further, it is soft on pressure points for side sleepers like myself. So it becomes softer but it never swallows you up or is too soft to turn comfortably if your a flipper flipper....like me. Again, it's mind mindbogglingly comfortable in whatever position I chose and I move around much less now, just the greatest sleep I've ever had in my adult years and I'm not a good sleeper.

A link with all their details etc. One other thing, this is an incredibly beautiful mattress, the cover, and the quality and the weight, they are all there, it looks and feels luxurious and it looks like a very expensive top of the line mattress. In fact the mattress is indeed their top of the line mattress. PS. The pictures they have up on the web page are exactly what it looks like, they are very accurate in their depiction. But it's heavy!

HERE IS THE MATTRESS ON AMAZON:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HCZ0XC6/?tag=mylespaul04-20

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

Nothing.

3. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Mattress prices are worse than Gibson online. Thanks for the review!

Tone deaf likes this.
  4. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

i'm in the market, i'll have a look see... thanks for the review!

jeff_farkas likes this.
  5. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

To be honest, when I first started looking I kept thinking WTF WHY does "foam" have to be $3000!? Is their magic fairy dust sprinkled within? That Best Price Mattress said the same thing on their webpage, WHY? They said, we can do it better and for much less, it isn't rocket science, it's foam for cryin out loud. I thought Hmmm! Still it's the reviews that sold me, companies can say what they will, and they always do, but paying people, that's the ones you really want to perk up for. Seriously try it, even if it sucks ass, for $259 you haven't broken the bank if you F'd up, and you won't.

SteveGangi likes this.
  6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I just ordered it. it's made the same way as the one I bought 10 years ago( for 1600) that is turning into a hammock :laugh2:

that's 160 a year, so I figured even if this is "junk" it's still a win (provided it last's a year and a half). plus it does have a 10 year warranty. Thanks for the tip!

I do feel compelled to mention that these bastards are basically impossible to return however, you'll never get it back in the box it came in!

7. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

My wife bought our memory foam mattress from Wal-Mart a few years ago for a hundred or two. No complaints.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  8. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

hey, snakeoil is expensive these days

SteveGangi, rockinlespaul and Malikon like this.
  9. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

It's not cost, it's what makes you comfortable. Same thing with sheets, had some $180 Jennifer Lopez gazillion thread count Egyptian cotton sheets that I hated. Bought some 180 thread count percale cotton sheets Made In The USA off ebay from Georgia Towel, a hotel supply place, for like $20, best sheets ever.

10. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

No it's cool with return shipping, once the bed has expanded if you need to return it they send you a big box that fits the mattress at full size. They also send over 23 midgets to carry it out. You should see their truck. That price along with the reviews was what made me go for it, I thought, ok if it sucks it's a cheap mattress, out the door it goes it's only $250 not a poor house maker. If you make an $800 mistake or a $1200 mistake it's a whole different ball game. But I'm telling you, when you cut it from the plastic and it expands to full size you're just not going to believe how well made it is, how beautiful the cover material is, and how much it expands, it's really amazing. Only eclipsed by how comfortable it is night after night, it's a revelation. And best of all, at this pricel that financial risk is livable if it sucks, and I'm telling you it doesn't, you just struck Gold. And I am really hoping you'll follow up with good news, I'll be very curious if it was a good match. Fingers crossed of course. I do think you're going to sort of flip out like I did, hope so.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    matthew bear and Malikon like this.
  11. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

12. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

I got tired of buying $12 Walmart polyester sheets that felt like knots. And being the big spender that I am, I upgraded to Big Lots. They had a 500 thread count a hundred percent cotton queen size set for $29 which was pretty good. Bon Marche as far as I can tell.

slug_maine likes this.
  13. SixAngryStrings

SixAngryStrings SeƱor Member Premium Member

EDIT: Drunk post

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    wildhawk1 likes this.
  14. SGeoff

SGeoff Senior Member

yes, now go back to sleep:p I hear ya, the foam mattress is a good product and the price is getting more reasonable as time goes on. the newest design, that uses both "pocketed coils" and memory foam are pretty good too. they will get a little cheaper in time also

15. electric head

electric head Just passing thru Premium Member

How was it in the summer?
    Does it get hot or stay cool to the touch..

SGeoff likes this.
  16. SGeoff

SGeoff Senior Member

the older designs were known to be hot ish in the summer. in the past few years they have addressed the issue quite well, an additional top layer of a breathable foam makes them pretty comfy. should not be an issue on any of the decent ones

17. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

Perfect post timing.

Just bought a memory foam about six weeks ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4OO80/?tag=mylespaul04-20

The old spring expensive in its day one was shot and like the OP wanted a nice mattress that wasn't stupid priced. We could afford a $2000 one but I'm a cheap a$$ so I spent a day pouring over options and reviews online.

Saw the one above with thousands of great ratings and showed wifey.

She was beyond skeptical even with the reviews. No way a Queen size at that price could be any good. If it was a POS then what?

A mattress that comes rolled up in a box that puffs up when you take it out has to be junk. She was on a Google hunt to avoid me hitting the buy button.

In the meantime a coworker was carrying in a box to work from Amazon. I joked with her that everyone's house is full of Amazon boxes. She proceeded to tell me her and husband even ordered a mattress from Amazon a couple months back on the recommendation of a friend that bought one a year ago. They loved it. More ammo for me to convince wifey to give it a try.

She finally caved and ordered it.

Got home from work a few days later and the box was laying inside the door. Besides being heavy I think that if a catastrophic event was going to happen during its puff up she was going to make sure I took the shrapnel.

Hardest part was opening the box. Thick cardboard with the end flaps sealed with a ton of glue. Obvious they didn't want it going in poof mode between China and my bedroom.

I wanted a good platform for it so the day prior I bought some plywood, cut to fit and set it in place of the old mattress.

Now the fun part.

Dragged it up on the bed and carefully with scissors cut the plastics bands allowing it to unroll and do its thing.

After an hour it was almost fully expanded but waited til the next night to sleep on it.

She's a doubter no more. We're both sleeping better than ever.

We bought it for $229. The prices seem to fluctuate greatly with so many memory foam mattress companies in the game now.

Five star rating from this house.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Malikon and pnuggett like this.
  18. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

my bed sort of feels like a pile of rocks so I appreciate this thread. :thumb:

Caleb likes this.
  19. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

How does it perform while getting your romance on???

Does the memory foam mattress pose difficulties while changing positions? Does the memory foam hold stains, or is it easy clean up? What about smells...are they locked in or does the foam breathe adequately???

slug_maine likes this.
  20. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

they make plastic mattress covers you filthy animal. :laugh2: