Can someone please help me?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kossoff6, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

Out of no where I am suddenly experiencing the low E or bass E fretting out--- only when I fret the 9the fret. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I do play with a lot of relief. Could this be the problem?. The frets arent that worn as its only a 2013 Traditional. Nut slot is kinda low but Id imagine that wouldnt matter since it doesnt buzz when played open. Thanks in advance!

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Check your bridge height. Has the adjustment for your bridge height moved? If the bridge lowered just a smidge you could be just contacting a high fret that wasnt an issue with the bridge at its original height.

Its not that hard to accidentally move that adjustment while changing strings, etc...

1 person likes this.
  3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzirIfsQPo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzirIfsQPo[/ame]

5 people like this.
  4. Skyjerk

5. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Ill check this out when i get home

6. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

Hey guys. Neither one of those issues appear to be the problem to my eye. The low E is bent though where it makes contact with the 9th fret. Do you think thats because a fret is high, or actually the culprit in itself? Any other suggestions?

7. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

A bent string could definitely cause a buzz. Could have been hit/dropped or could be from extra pressure trying to manually eliminate the buzz. I would check for fret level in the suspect area with a fret rocker or similar tool. I would actually check the whole board but seems like 9th(9,10)fret is your only concern. And some fresh strings. The new strings may be all you need.

Haven't done my homework yet so now I'm going to watch the video Freddy posted.

Good luck

8. Skyjerk

If the string is literally bent, throw a new set of strings on there and see if the issue goes away :)

9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

How on earth would you expect a bent string (!) to fret properly? Come on. Once you've replaced it, maybe you can make some useful observations. If you play with a lot of relief, well... don't. Unless you're seriously detuning, excess relief makes no sense and runs counter to good action and intonation. Next up: bridge height. It's always smart to eliminate the macro faults (bent string, excess relief) before looking at smaller possibilities (high/low frets, etc.).

10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Precisely!

actually the culprit is a pretty good assumption.

11. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

if the bridge had been lowered you would have issues with buzz on more than one specific fret. the string could have been kinked when you were installing it but you likely would have noticed that.

my guess is that fret is worn more in that spot than the rest

12. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

Frets appear to be perfectly level. String isnt kinked so to speak, more of a bump in it. Didnt notice it before, but then again dont play c# in that position that often to begin with. Just changed the strings last week. Always liked above average relief for the feel, never had a problem. Definitely not the bridge. Going to change strings tomorrow and see what the deal is. Again, thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated!!

13. Kossoff6

Kossoff6 Senior Member

BTW, it was in fact the slightly kinked E string. Didn't even notice that when I changed strings. Put new ones on and all buzzing went away. You could barely even see it and it was only noticeable at very close examination but that thing caused a world of buzzing. Thanks for all the input guys!

14. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

yeah i have had that problem before i only found it as the last thing i checked, even did a fret level before i checked the strings