Can my EMG pickup be repaired?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Rocco Crocco, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

About six months ago I took an EMG Het Set in trade for another set of pickups. I installed them on a guitar immediately and thought all was well.

I used the guitar at rehearsal at significant volume for the first time this past week. At high gain, the bridge pickup is squealing like crazy, and also appears to be microphonic. When I turn the volume knob down to 6 or lower, the squeal goes away (along with the desired tone). My two other EMG equipped guitars (81 in both) do not suffer with this issue.

I really like the sound of this pickup and I am hoping there is a way to repair it. I emailed EMG customer service on Thursday. Nobody has got back to me yet, but it's only been a couple days so I am hoping I am contacted next week.

Anyone know if this could be an issue other than a faulty pickup? Does anyone know who might be able to repair a microphonic active pickup?

2. metale

metale Senior Member

Those pickups are pretty sturdy and sealed. I would be on a wiring problem before a pickup problem. Was the active wiring already in place?

LSAR likes this.
  3. Rocco Crocco

Yes. I plugged the PUs into a guitar that was already wired for EMGs using those solderless connectors.

4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

Try it in another guitar and see if you still have the same problem. Could be the mounting of it.

Ultimately, if you can be sure it is a bad pickup and not the mounting or other problem, yes, it COULD be repaired. One could mill out the guts and build a new pickup inside the cover and re-pot it in epoxy. Realistically, that would cost more than a new pickup so it's just not worth it.

Rocco Crocco and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  5. Rocco Crocco

Thanks for the info. I am hoping EMG might hook me up somehow to get it fixed or replaced, even though I didn't buy it new. Otherwise, I'll just have to buy another one. Shame on me for not checking to make sure the pickup worked 100% right when I first got it.

Kris Ford likes this.
  6. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I don't there is anything that can fix EMGs to make them sound good
    [​IMG]

Who likes this.
  7. tzd

tzd Senior Member

If you don't get an email response, try calling (707) 525-9941 during office hours (Pacific Time).

I had a faulty pickup that came OEM with my new guitar and I made a video showing the problem, and called them up. They immediately set me up for RMA, I shipped them the pickup and got it back fixed within a week. Very smooth RMA experience.

8. Rocco Crocco

Hmmm... I just did some wiring inspection. Inside the cavity everything looks fine. Moving the wires around inside the cavity didn't create any unwanted noise, but when I checked the battery compartment and giggled with the battery, it started squealing like crazy.

The 9v connector is one of those cheap vinyl ones. I snipped it off and rigged the battery to the bare wire and the noise is gone. I think this may have solved my squeal problem, but I won't know for sure until I can play loud with a lot of gain (my loud speaker cab is at our rehearsal spot).

9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I have a 81 if you need it!

I also have harness parts..PM me!

Rocco Crocco, DarrellV and Who like this.
  10. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Nice! :thumbs:

Kris Ford likes this.
  11. Rocco Crocco

Thanks, man. Love my 81 in an Ibanez I have. I think I may have this sorted out. You should try the Hetfield. It's surprisingly versatile.

Kris Ford likes this.