CAN MINI HUMBUCKERS BE MOUNTED IN A 2015 LES PAUL DOUBLE CUT?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Woman Tone Man, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Woman Tone Man

Woman Tone Man Senior Member

I want to install a pair of Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers which have 3-48 nuts soldered to the lugs I think due to them originally not being factory threaded?

Does the 2015 Les Paul Double Cutaways have mounting plates in the pickup cavities that accept both P90's and mini-humbuckers? What would I need to do with the pickups if they have nuts soldered to what appears to be non threaded lugs to mount them in my 2015 Les Paul Double Cut?

I also want to install a push/push pot for coil tapping options. Should I go with a 250K or 500K pot? Would there by anything else I need to consider as in values of tone capacitors and how are they mounted in a 2015 Les Paul Double Cut?
    upload_2018-12-9_17-30-28.png

Seymour Duncan Minis.jpg

Thank you! :dunno:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

This guitar?

[​IMG]

Take it to a luthier, if you insist on putting those humbuckers in. You'll have to have some pickup mounting rings installed, the brackets removed from behind the soap bars, and mounting depth verified for the feet/nuts and routed, if necessary.

What type of sound are you after?

3. Woman Tone Man

Something different than my 1st LPDC like the one pictured above. My 2nd is a vintage sunburst and I want to put the set of above pictured Duncan mini's in it because I love the sound of my Les Paul deluxe which has the identical bridge pickup.

4. cooljuk

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. You want to put those Duncan Mini Humbuckers in a vintage Burst?

Can you post a photo of the guitar you are talking about so we can see the present pickups/route/mounting configuration?

5. Woman Tone Man

In a 2nd Les Paul Double Cut that I have in vintage sunburst. Sorry for any confusion.
    [​IMG]

6. cooljuk

Ok, than my first response still applies. It will need at least a little custom fitting to make it work. Perhaps lots. Best to take it to a pro, if you really want those particular pickups installed.

7. Woman Tone Man

Without pulling the strings up and removing a pickup I won't be able to tell. I posted this same thread in the Luthier's forum in which I am sure someone has swapped out the pickups to be able to answer my questions. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  8. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

If the P-90s have a plate installed that they're screwed into, then the mini-humbuckers are a direct replacement as the holes are already there (if they are made like a Gibson pup.) BUT: the route may not be deep enough, although P-90s need clearance for the pole screws protruding below the coils, so you should be OK there. Underneath the mounting plate, you might need to remove a bit of wood where the mini-hum screws come out of the plate. You will have to either replace the PCB (if so equipped) with new pots, or splice the mini-hum wires to the wires on the connectors to the PCB.

I put mini-hums in a Tribute, and the neck pickup needed a bit of wood removed directly below the mini-hum screw holes in the plate, as Gibson only routes enough wood for the P-90, not the legs on a mini-hum.

bulletproof likes this.
  9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Just to clarify, the minis use those nuts for regular mounting....it's not to do with drilling.
    The mini sits fixed in the surround, and the height adjustment is both the ring and pickup together. Those screws will thread into a plate in the rout base.

bulletproof likes this.
  10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Also, check to see if they are 4 wire humbuckers, as you can't split (not tap) 2 conductor ones. And those won't fit without quite a bit of modification to the guitar itself.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I don't know about mini humbuckers, but I had to remove the plate a do some slight depth routing to get this DiMarzio installed.

[​IMG]

12. Jewel the Sapphire

Jewel the Sapphire Senior Member

That looks great there!

Hey curious as how that Dimarzio DLX90 / DP164 sounds in comparison to the stock Gibson P90 tone?

northernguitarguy likes this.
  13. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Thanks, man. Love that guitar. The pickup is a DP209 Super Distortion. Sounds amazing for hard rock. The original P90 did, too, but it was just too much noise with the single coil hum. I would say the new pickup is thicker in the bass, creamier, and adds compression when the volume is all the way up when compared with the original P90.

The Super Distortion also pairs well with the P90 in the neck position.