Can anyone tell me how this was recorded?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by yeti, Mar 26, 2017.

1. yeti

yeti Senior Member

https://youtu.be/3bKG0p6Tv9Q

I assume it's matching audio to the video but I don't see any microphones (well,maybe I see one microphone)but it sounds awesome yet there's nothing visible on those showman amps, drums and bassman amp. How did they do it?

2. mcphaul

mcphaul Senior Member

I assume that clip was a scene from a movie? I doesn't look to me to be from a live performance because the close up shots of the drummer. You don't see a camera man or camera rig in the wide shot.

The guitar cabs are closed back so that rules out mics behind the cabs.

Playing to a pre recorded track. Lip Synking.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It does sound awesome! I've only ever heard the studio recording. I now have a whole new appreciation for the drummer and especially the guitar player. wow!

I think it's a "lip synch".

If I were a betting man I think that they may have recorded the band that very day with everything miked (listen to the separation/panning) and then cleaned the stage up and reshot the video to the audio. It clearly is a live recording, and they are matching what we hear extremely closely....it's the only way I can figure it.

4. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

+1 for a sync track. They did this a lot in the old TV and movie days, mostly due to the fact that it was hard and inconsistent to do a live audio mix while filming. Now they do it because the "talent" can't sing in tune! :laugh2:

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yes but I think the interesting thing here is that they did record it right on that stage, cleared the mics and then shot video to the mix. It's not a polished mix either....pretty raw (which gives it excitement IMO)....listen to the reverb at the beginning, then they pull the returns back @ the 14 second mark when they think it's too much.

You can see these guys are so well rehearsed, they are like machines...every little lick and movement the same every time. Especially on the same day...I really do believe this!

6. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Seems like he's a little lazy on the drumming in that one from what I remember. Here is the original.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7r_SfdOr3E[/ame]

7. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Sync is a pretty hard thing to detect these days, everything we use to display, stream, watch on TV or DVD or whatever has latency. I deal with this every day at work and if I NEED to know I look at glass (CRT monitor) but to my eyes it looks too close to be synced to playback after the fact, and that's less about actual sync (this is film at 24fps, enter pulldowns, etc) and more about the fact that they seem to mostly play what you hear. I have seen enough lip-synced footage from that era to know that many musicians simply won't or can't visually reproduce the actual parts they played on the recording during the lip-sync taping. I'll admit that around the 2:00 mark, during the drum break , it falls apart a bit but that my be a function of the film editing, the bass player isn't even playing the bass breaks, that might be a lip-synced redo, who knows? And what about that horrible film edit and the foul note in the lead guitar at 3:19ish? And the drummer missed his last hit right before the audience applause starts, sounding totally different. Just thinking out loud and wondering how they did this back then , if it really is them. It is a freakishly exciting version of what I always thought to be something my grandparents might enjoy.

8. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I don't think that they would have bothered with stereo music mixes in 1966, bass panned hard right??? It sounds live but seems to be a remix but how would they have multi-tracked on location in 1966? Yes , they do seem to match very well in the beginning but the audio quality , besides the mix being rough (reverb being pulled down abruptly, like you mentioned) is vastly different between the performance and the applause at the end.
    Whatever it is, I LOVE it.

9. yeti

yeti Senior Member

One more thing, I'm convinced we're hearing those JBL loaded Showman cabs, something about the overdriven tone that sound like them speakers, something they probably wouldn't have used cranked in the studio (too freaking loud).

10. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Yea, having re-watched it I would have to agree. Amazing band!