Can anyone tell me about the differences in top carves?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by ZWILDZR1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

I had a '16 R8 and sold it to fund a 335. Now I have a '16 R9. I noticed the bridge on my R9 does sit lower than the bridge did on the R8.

Given how automated the manufacturing process is, I was wondering why there would be any difference. There's still plenty of room to adjust it and the action is how I like it. But having the bridge sit lower seems to be more sturdy than one that sits higher.

Of course, both guitars sound amazing. But even today, no two LP's are alike. It sounds like there are many things that can be different due to how the sanding processes of tops and necks are done. Then you add in variances in pickups and there are even more differences in tone from one to another.

I guess wood and weight matter too. It never ends, and why it's important to play a few before deciding which one sounds best to you ears.

I played a half dozen R8's and 9's before deciding on mine. All were slightly different from one another. One was real trebley in a bad way. That seems like it would be more pickup related though.

Each guitar definitely has its own personality. Maybe the player helps bring that out too?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

But the finish sanding process is not at all automated.

If you take the copy carver machine and trace/carve the top you get the Gary Moore BFG look. Thats where the automation ends. The rest after that is most likely slack belt sander. As such, there will be variations. The neck angle is only finalised once the top is sanded to a fine grit. All the routing of tenon and pickups takes place after this step.