Can A Die-Hard Vintage Tube Amp Player Be Convinced.............

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by NotScott, Oct 27, 2017.

1. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

I don't know about effortlessly - I mean, once it's set up, sure, but going through and tweaking the EQ in the relevant sections of the profile and configuring your selectable options to use/not use the IRs so that it's all "recallable" on demand. That sounds like kind of a faff, to be honest. ;)

Would be nice to have some kind of global "I'm using a guitar cab / I'm using a monitor" setting - or even to be able to select which cab type / speakers you're using and have it automatically adjust the profile EQ to sound like the original profiled rig. That'd be cool.

Haven't taken the plunge into modelling for live use yet. I use Guitar Rig on my Mac for home playing and it's great but I like having a traditional amp on stage. Mind you, if they release an AX8 or Kemper 2x12 combo with vintage styling my wallet might be in trouble ...

2. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

It is that easy. I set up my performances using an EQ curve I have stored for my guitar cab and keep the FOH feed flat. Simple button push and I am done for the night. There are also factory global presets for setting up that same configuration and a few others.

You do need to audition both feeds to make sure the rigs you select work well in both domains but once you have listened to several rigs, you can tell which rigs will work for you and which won't.

mdubya likes this.
  3. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Fantastic review! I have a Kemper and I love it.

Any chance you might share the profiles of those sweet tube amps you own???

NotScott likes this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

No truer words have ever been spoken on a guitar board. People don't care. They WANT to hear the singer. They WANT to be able to talk without having to go outside. Other guitarists can be jerks (lol) - there is ALWAYS a "competitive" streak between players/bands.....

Funny story....

In the early 2000's my band at the time was one of the hottest things in the original hard rock scene in the Tampa area. We played cool shows and great venues. I was dating a girl I was MADLY in love with and, surprisingly, she would come out to shows (despite NOT being a fan of ANY rock music). One night we headlined a show, and I was on FIRE....everything was happening right. My tone was perfect, my playing was spot-on, I was inspired and pulling off some KILLER licks and leads. The band sounded great. It was just one of those MAGICAL nights - everyone was firing on all cylinders.

After the show, I walked up to the chick - Rebecca. I said, "How was I????" I knew I was impressive. I knew I killed it. SHE knew I killed it (in my mind, anyway)....

Her response? I'll NEVER forget this as long as I live, lol.....

"Oh. I don't know. You're just there. I'm paying attention to the singer, not you. You're just the guitar player. I am sure you did great."

She smiled, turned, and went back to her drink.

The singer - my friend since 1st grade - turned and looked at me......his eyes were bugging, and his face was turning red....then he busted out laughing. I looked at him and started laughing too. I was like, "F***, talk about getting put in your place!!!!"

I dogged her about it a little over the following weeks, and she was real straight forward....

"I like your songs, but your guitar playing is all dirty sounding and squeally. I can't tell what you're playing. Plus, really - everybody wants to hear the words and the story of the song. What you are doing is distracting."

Again, NEVER forgot those words. It was hard to accept, but she was right.....

cherrysunburst00, frankv and cybermgk like this.
  5. NotScott

Thanks.

I still haven't had time to profile any of my amps. When I do, if I think they are up to snuff, I will make them available.

Sp8ctre and mmd like this.
  6. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Haha all valid points, I just meant philosophically I had been coming to peace with just enjoying the gear I already have! But I can feel the urge creeping back in :wow:

I agree it is surely an enabler when there are so many great profiles out there. I remember briefly thinking some packs of MBritt profiles were a lot of money but realizing its still vastly cheaper than a pedal and of course almost infinite options once you have it. I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a Kemper before year end, and I can't wait!

cybermgk likes this.
  7. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Very appreciated for the consideration!

8. NotScott

Just got home from my first gig with the new band and the Kemper. I do have a few comments:

1) The venue is primarily a musicians' hangout and the Kemper attracted a lot of attention. All of the feedback was positive though and there were a lot of questions. I was kind of surprised my PRS attracted as much attention as it did. Normally I play Strats, LPs and Teles. I only use the PRS for this gig because it is the most versatile guitar I own. However, PRS has a bit of a stigma in my area as a doctor-lawyer-wannabee axe so when real guitar players ask questions about it and the Kemper, I take notice.

2) The room is loud and I have an animal playing drums behind me (he actually broke a kick pedal tonight!) so I had to crank the Kemper louder than I ever have. It was up to the task and I had plenty of headroom and heard myself through my 1x12 very easily. However......

3) Any of you guys that have done loud gigs with vintage tube amps will appreciate what I am about to say. With my tube amps, once they get into clipping, the highs soften up a bit so I tend to set them up a little brighter than needed to compensate. The Kemper's 600W Class D amplifier is flat, and I mean FLAT in every sense of the word. There is no give, there's no compression. It is brutally honest. What goes in is what comes out, from the first song in the first set to the very last song of the evening. I found out as I was turning up the Kemper, I didn't have that cushion for the highs that I am used to.

I don't think this is a deal breaker by any means but, it is something that I will have to compensate for. I am thinking I am going to dial back the presence on my cabinet and use my guitar tone pots more judiciously to add the highs back where needed. As I have mentioned before, digital requires a different approach than analog tube devices if you want the most out of your gear. There is a bit of a learning curve there but so far, I think it's worth it.

So this weekend, I will be entertaining the neighbors a little louder than usual to make sure I am better prepared for the next loud gig. Fortunately, I like this kind of testing and my neighbors like me. :jam:

Bottom line, the Kemper has now passed the bedroom olympics, the home studio, the live rehearsal and now the live gig tests. It's time to stop playing with the damn thing and finish setting it up for my uses. Mine is a keeper. :cool2:

cybermgk, Stuff, frankv and 3 others like this.
  9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome!!

I gig a modeler and PRS guitars, too. Get ready - you are gonna start getting a TON of guitarists asking you about the Kemper. I use the Helix, and a gig does not go by where I am not cornered (in a good way, lol) after clearing the stage by guitarists asking question about my rig...and commenting on how awesome it sounded. It has been great to be out in the field using this gear because is SOOOO unknown at this point.

Today, I am driving to a festival my band is playing. It will be interesting to see the reactions today. There are 27 stages set-up around a quaint college town, and there will tons of opportunities to see other bands and gear. I am packing the Helix and a PRS Paul's Guitar. It'll be a blast!!

10. NotScott

That sounds like a cool gig! Enjoy!

mmd likes this.
  11. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

Did you marry her?

mmd likes this.
  12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no. We had a falling out later on. I married an awesome woman that comes to gigs, lets my expensive gear, and thinks I am WAY better of a guitarist than I really am, lol.

Thanks for asking!!

frankv likes this.