Can’t figure out the OHM switch on Ampeg?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by mrdannyboy, Oct 18, 2018.

1. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Senior Member

371C55A1-05A3-4D7D-8BD0-A97602199279.jpeg Hey guys I bought this head it’s the AMPEG reverbrocket re-issue In the pic I don’t know which ohm setting is on when it’s flat across like it is there on there on the 16 ohm setting. Anybody know how those particular ones work Would it be when the flat pieces across like it is on 16 right now or when right now on 8 ohm it’s all in infented. I can’t find information anywhere on the web on this.

It’s going into a 212 cab wired at eight ohms. When I have it set so that flat piece is in front of the 16 ohm like it is now it’s louder than one that flat part of it is in front of the eight ohm if that helps at all. Don’t want to wreck anything so if anybody knows i’d really appreciate it Thanks

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its only got 2 settings - so then the switch will have 2 settings. As 16 is on the left the switch will be on 16 when in the left posi too.

mrdannyboy likes this.
  3. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Senior Member

I just don’t know if I’m explaining it right

See how right now there’s a flat part across the 16 and the eight is it’s a dig out area So what I’m trying to find out is whether the setting is on when the flat part is beside it ,like now on the 16 ohm. It literally doesn’t tell you in the manual

The only thing that I can tell that might help is when the flat part is on 16 the cab is louder when the flat part is on 8 it’s lower volume

Would I hurt anything bedroom levels if I have the wrong setting selected It’s just thrown me for a loop and everybody who I know who seen it who aren’t bands they’ve said I don’t know it could be either one I’m hoping on the guitar form that some people have this style of ohm switch

4. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

In your picture, it's in the 16 ohm setting. You can verify that by measuring the resistance with a multimeter. All you have to do is stick a speaker cable in the amp output but don't connect it to a cab, and measure the resistance between the center conductor and outer conductor of the connector. Of course, the amp should be off.

mrdannyboy likes this.
  5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Its a 2 position switch......you can literally only move it one direction from wherever its sitting now - surely its not so hard to put your hand on it and physically figure out the L and R directions???

Rotorhead, lakeburst and mrdannyboy like this.
  6. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Senior Member

I understand that man it’s not hard to switch or whatever I’m just trying to figure out which Way the switch needs to be on that particular ohm setting. I don’t know whether the One setting is selected one that Flat piece is beside it or whether it’s activated when the indented piece is beside it. That’s why I asked if I’m running an eight on carb and I put it on eight on what’s going to be loud or 1608 on because when I switch back-and-forth from whatever it is 8 to 16 or 16 to 8 there is a significant improvement or loudness in it So I’m trying to figure out whether it should be louder or less loud
    Like I said the manual doesn’t tell you whether it’s 16 ohms is selected one that flat pieces beside it or when the flat piece is away from it beside the 8 ohm I’m not sure whether you’re getting what I’m saying. Just trying to find out what activates eight and 16 ohms whether it’s the flat piece or the piece that is dug out piece. From the picture I posted what did you say what do you think is selected up there a ohm or 16 a ohm

7. lakeburst

lakeburst Senior Member

Like Eric said

mrdannyboy likes this.
  8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Senior Member

Slide it to the left for 16, slide it to the right for 8.

mrdannyboy and northernguitarguy like this.
  9. Big John

Big John bigger is better V.I.P. Member

Output volume changes happen all the time with head-cab ohm mismatches. Not a big deal, and I really wouldn't dwell on it too much. Just set it to the right for your 8 ohm cab and run with it.

mrdannyboy likes this.
  10. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Senior Member

Tell me that seems logical I just where is the manual would say it because there’s so little of me on a room for error sorry information on the Internet about these amps. And they’re absolutely fantastic Thanks for the reply

11. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Senior Member

from the picture I have up there To get the flat plastic thing in front of that 8 ohm you push to the left so that stuff that’s in front of 16 home right now goes underneath and the 8 ohm is covered flush to get the flat plastic thing in front of that you push to the left. thanks for your reply. I think I’ll try it with the multimeter. Cheers

12. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Senior Member

This is the unit. It’s real solid. Great tones
    Reissue 789F9A79-6498-4096-9F71-7AFC082C55EA.jpeg

lakeburst and RAG7890 like this.