Calling all Tokai experts - SG question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Family Man, Mar 6, 2018.

1. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Senior Member

paruwi likes this.
  2. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Here's one on YJ for around $350. Probably end up at $500 to $550 all in using Rinkya. Some cosmetic issues, looks like it had a tremelo installed at some point. Looking through the completed listings, they come up every now and then for 25-35k yen.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x529913361

brokentoeswalker likes this.
  3. Family Man

Family Man Senior Member

I saw that same one on ebay yesterday for $600ish. How do you search and navigate listings like this? It's all in Japanese...

4. currypowder

I use Google Chrome browser, which auto-translates. You can also use Rinkya's search engine, and they translate for you.

Roxy13 and Family Man like this.
  5. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

6. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Just be aware that if you are new to Rinkya the registration has gotten ugly :( $200 registration charge per $1k of bidding power now. So if you want $2k worth of bidding power, $400 to them. I went to register as there was a guitar I was interested in, and decided against it. $200 registration, plus fee to them plus shipping and that guitar was no longer worth it to me.

Family Man and brokentoeswalker like this.
  7. currypowder

I'm not sure that's correct. From the way I read it, Rinkya will AUTHORIZE your credit card for 20% of your initial bidding limit to make sure it's a good credit card. But they won't actually CHARGE the card. Similar to what a hotel might do when you check in. That was my experience when I signed up earlier this year, I saw an authorization from Rinkya, but no actual charge. Here's the language from their website:

Credit Card: We'll ask you to enter your credit card details, which will be sent over a secure service to our processor (they won't touch our server, we won't even know what they are). Then we'll make a so called 'authorization' to your card. The authorization is the first step in a two part charge process, except we won't do the final 'capture' step, and instead void the transactions. The first one allows us to verify whether the charge would be good to go though, so that's all we need, no money is actually charged :)

Family Man likes this.
  8. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Well, I was charged the first $20 for actually registering that only got me $100 bidding power. When I saw it go straight to payment again when I asked to raise my bidding power, I backed off.

Family Man likes this.
  9. currypowder

Can't blame you there. I would have done the same thing. Seems to be a strange business model.

10. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

That $20 charge did go immediately through my bank and I got the notification in seconds. So yes, I decided I wouldn't be buying through Rinkya. If one knew they would be buying several guitars then it might be worth it, but I doubt I will.

Family Man likes this.
  11. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

This is my Mick Abrahams by 'Vintage'. Inexpensive but nice. Now with Irongear P90s.
    mick a SG irongear P90s.JPG

Family Man and brokentoeswalker like this.