Callaham ABR-1 replacement

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Kølabrennern, May 31, 2009.

1. marianozz

marianozz Senior Member

I have an ABR1, a Tele brige, and a Strat bridge from Bill, and they've each done wonders for the guitars they went in...

That said, over $100 for a tailpiece makes my butt hurt :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  2. chrisuk

chrisuk Senior Member

It won't make mine hurt - I'll be sticking with my Faber ali tailpiece.

2 people like this.
  3. chriscolt

chriscolt Junior Member

I have owned and used a Callaham ABR-1 Billet steel bridge on my Gibson R8 now for over 2 years. As far as tone - the improvement was night and day. To be honest my expectation was not high - I have changed stop-tails from Zinc to Aluminum on a few guitars and the change was subtle, not at all the case with the bridge change - it was dramatic. I would honestly say that the change for the better can be compared to changing Pickups from stock to WCR Darkbursts - which I did about a year earlier - and that change was dramatic - the ABR change to Callaham was almost as dramatic - tone is clearer, more defined, more harmonics, much improved touch response, incredible sustain and much more gain - acoustically as well as when plugged in. The change was so huge that at first I was wondering if it made the guitar too bright - all that really was - was the elimination of all the muddiness you get with the tone sucking zinc bridge. The dramatic change did cause me to double-check and adjust all of the settings, intonation, truss rod/string height and especially, p/u height (and left to right p/u balance) because of the extra gain - I noticed right away that there was a big volume difference between the bridge and neck p/u - which was cured by correctly adjusting the height of the p/us to factory spec. I did not have any buzzing problems with the saddles and I chose to notch my own so that I can align strings perfectly - not too difficult with the right tools. The guitar is set up with DR Pure Blues Nickel 11's (I switch betw 10's and 11's) and strings wrapped around the aluminum stoptail ala Bonamassa - which seems to make bending a little easier (could be all in my mind too!!). Callaham ABR-1 IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - I promise that you will notice a huge difference.

Chris:dude:

4. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Like chriscolt, one of the first things I noticed was the gain, along with the clairity and a lot of bite with sustain. I too, ended up having to reset up my guitar. The change was unbelievable. You can't go wrong with this bridge.

5. woolenmammoth

woolenmammoth Senior Member

I just installed a bridge and tail piece. If you have a guitar that is lacking balls or is too bright, this is the solution, period. This particular guitar had all the gibson shit parts removed, the bridge, post and tail piece was all that was left and man, what an impact. Not sure if I'll keep the tail piece or go to aluminum, but this is the ultimate solution if you are looking for a dry sounding les paul, thats for sure. Incredible piece of craftsmanship as well.

6. sapi

sapi Senior Member

I love this ABR-1 on my HM R9. Replaced my Pigtail. Both good, but the Callaham stays. It has more clarity, boldness and definition across the strings.

7. sapi

sapi Senior Member

I have the RS solid alum TP, which, for ME, was an improvement on the Pigtail, but i would like to try this.

8. tdarian

tdarian Premium Member

Helpful stuff. Thanks all.

9. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

May be you can help me, I want to know this lenght,

Thank you guys .

[​IMG]