Callaham ABR-1 replacement

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Kølabrennern, May 31, 2009.

1. Quill

Quill Senior Member

Sawgwa, sorry to hear about your troubles, I wish you all the best and hope you have a speedy recovery! It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the bridge. I've decided it's staying put and am going to cut the saddles tonight.

... you must be thanking someone else about the Catto plans, though, yes? I've never seen them, myself! But I wouldn't mind trying an LP build myself, someday ... anyway, hope you get back to your projects soon.

2. Ole'Lefty

Ole'Lefty Premium Member

We are supporting your recovery. Medical matters are a bummer-and they affect everything. If there is anything we(I) can do from long distance, just holler out. I believe I speak for all of us. Mike

3. So Relax

So Relax Senior Member

Just bumping this thread back up. There's not really any conclusions on it and I'd really like the opinions fromt hose that have installed the callaham bridge.

4. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

March bump.

Pigtails, Faber or Callaham for quality and sound? (looks don't matter to me)

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

I'm considering FABER......they are German right?

6. redlir

redlir Senior Member

Well I pulled the trigger again for a Callaham ABR-1 for my R8.

I have one on my Standard, but it can be buzzy if you don't make sure the screws are 'locked' in when setting the intonation. Other than that, it had made my standard come to life at the time.

When I got the R8, it had all this great midrange, but the lows were muddy and loose. The tops had that fizzyness to them you don't quite realize until it's gone. The standard had this nice 'clear' sound about it ( although missing a lot of the complexity of the R8). The same WCR betset that were clear as a bell in the neck on the standard, we're muddy on the lows in the R8.

I had Bill send me up a distressed version so it would match my faber tail hardware. I'm pretty sure they've changed things since I received the original out of his first batch. The screws seem a lot tighter in that they don't even move or wiggle when the bridge isn't installed. Also gone are the two holes for the wire that it didn't ship with anyway.

I installed it, and there isn't a rattle to be found. On top of that, the clear, bell like sounds were now found in the R8 like they were in the standard. Neck position has 0 mud now, clear as day on the low strings. The highs are articulate but no piercing or fuzzy. The WCR betsets are very woody sounding like I remember them in the standard.

Cranked through a plexi is a nice dry even growl across the spectrum. No fizzle on the top end and no mush on the bottom.

I absolutely love what these bridges do. It really opened up the R8 and let it breathe.

It looks like they either went to tighter tolerances in later batches or the distressing helps close the gap. Either way I'm sold on these.

:thumb:

7. redlir

redlir Senior Member

Here's some quick shots of the bridge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Sea Ranch

Sea Ranch Senior Member

Thanks so much for your comments, evaluation of sound and pix. Helpful to hear your comparison of early and later production versions, too, redlir :thumb:

Quill . . . greetings from Surrey. If I was more forward, I'd invite myself over for a listen in person! :laugh2:

I'm planning on ordering one for my George "M" '59 LP kit . . . :fingersx:

Randy

9. redlir

redlir Senior Member

You're welcome.

I also confirmed today that Callaham are using a new 'plater' for their bridges who is able to deliver tighter thickenss tolerances than their first plater.

Blues4U likes this.
  10. Sea Ranch

Sea Ranch Senior Member

. . . which in turn will enable them to be a bit closer in their bridge part tolerances, I presume.

Well, I have a Callaham Tele bridge which I like. But I would not have guessed they'd have troubles with the fit of parts, etc. Lots of respect for Bill Callaham. But glad you "pioneers" of his new ABR have posted your experiences for us. And glad to hear Bill has "tightened" up the production.

Thanks again . . . :thumb:

Randy

11. Tuxedo Kaz

Tuxedo Kaz Senior Member

Looks like they're doing gold bridges soon. I'd like to try one at some point.

12. redlir

redlir Senior Member

I think they do a couple runs a year, but I 'think' you have to contact them to pre-order?

Cheers

13. Tuxedo Kaz

Tuxedo Kaz Senior Member

I think that is indeed the case. I'll probably have to pick one up during the fall run, as I have other priorities at the moment.

14. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

I am leaning towards a Distressed Callaham ABR-1 for my impending `59 Replica as well.

15. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

I want a Distressed Gold Callaham ABR-1 with nylon saddles!

16. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

What would be a good Stop tailpiece for this bridge? Thx.

17. Neodustin

Neodustin Senior Member

I'd buy the Gotoh Aluminum tailpiece from StewMac. It's only $30.00. Might as well save some cash where you can being that the bridge breaks the bank! I want a Callaham ABR for my R8, I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a bridge. Maybe one day...

18. markanini

markanini Senior Member

Been putting off getting Callaham abr for ages. Really dig what a $30 Kahler brass tailpiece has done to my tone and been looking to get rid of the tone-dulling zinc bridge. Tried a gotoh aluminum tailpiece on two guitars but the abundant sparklyness and loss of lows didnt have me sold so I'm sure Callaham is on to something using a steel bridge base. Had my mind set on an ABM all brass T-o-M for half the price of the Callaham but changed my mind thinking all that brass would be too much of a good thing on my maple-less LP copy.
    One thing's for sure, if Callaham makes any price drop I'll be the first to order! :D

19. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

I have an ABR-1 on my historic. I get all the sustain I need, and then some.
    I wonder how the guitar greats of the past got along before Callaham?

20. redlir

redlir Senior Member

Same way the bards of ol's got along without an electric.

Times change, technology changes.. sometimes even for the better :laugh2: