Cadillac Fret De-Tanger

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by charisjapan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

I am impressed with the Stew-Mac Fret Tang tool! It cuts VERY nicely, but ...

OUCH!!! I have some issues with my hands (getting old), and using this tool was tortuous. Surely they could do something about those slippery, hard, excruciatingly difficult to use handles, huh?!

Well, those straight, hard handles DID make it easy to attach a solution. Mind you, this is still a work in progress ... I will slim the grips down a bit more, and finish them with oil or something. But I really wanted to finish the fretboard for my Limba6, so invested a couple hours (well-spent time!) to make these. Oh, and they stand up! ;)

:cheers2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Very cool, how are you keeping them attached?

3. charisjapan

They're a pretty tight fit, and don't really need anything, but I put a little low-adhesion double-sided tape on it for now. After using it today, I really like the palm side (very comfy), but the finger side should be a carved a bit more aggressively. Also, I will completely flatten the bottoms for stability ... I find it really handy to be able to stand it up while working. I guess while I'm at it, I will add a "cover" to hide the inside bar completely.

I guess I should add that the reason the tool is so uncomfortable for me is that I have been having tendinitis in the crook of my thumb. I have had this on and off for years from riding motorcycles, but this time it seems to be from using hand planes! I may end up making a new handle for my beloved No. 5-1/2 ... a bit wider. But no Gel Pads!!! ;)

:cheers2:

SlingBlader likes this.
  4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

That's way better than duct-tape!

To go high-tech, you should integrate a counter in the tool, to keep track of the number of frets you've done. ;)

[​IMG]

charisjapan likes this.
  5. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Paging Stew Mac, pay Chris for solving a huge gripe about your fret tang cutter.
    Every review I've read about those is the handles sucks but the tool works great.

Who likes this.
  6. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Very clever. No doubt we'll see these at SM before long. :thumb:

:hmm:

Who likes this.
  7. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Does stew-mac still sell these? I know me and many others have major beef with "stew-cack" but I don't have one of these, and I feel like I REALLY should...

8. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

9. JMT Guitars

Says "sorry, unavailable for purchase or backorder at this time"...

10. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

11. JMT Guitars

Ah great, I forgot to look on allparts! :facepalm:

update: still out of stock...

12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I've got both the Allparts nipper which is great for SS wire and the older style Stew mac which I use for nickel silver. I like the stew mac nipper, does a nice clean cut....fast and easy to use....it just can't handle SS wire.

I can't say I like the look of Stew mac's "new improved" version though...not a fan of having to change parts for different size wire. Doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

13. charisjapan

I may have done a disservice to Stew-Mac. :( Indeed, my fret de-tanger is the ALLPARTS Fret Tang Nipper ...

So now I'll lay into ALLPARTS for making such a painful tool!!!!! ;)

Which is now indeed a "Cadillac" ... comfy and good looking. (the good looking part is based on my memory of Caddys many decades ago, not IMHO the modern ones) I slimmed the cherry wood handles down a LOT, taking nearly a half inch off the grip while retaining a nice, wide palm support. This is just a few coats of Tung Oil from a can that has been unopened for 20+ years. (and it's still full! must've made a lot better cans back then! :)) Now that the tool is usable, I think I'll be binding the next fretboard, too!

A few glamour shots ... (of a fret tang nipper?!?! :p)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jkes01, Freddy G and mux164 like this.
  14. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

15. JMT Guitars

I haven't actually said how much I like the mods by the way, great job- looks swell and must be a major improvement!

16. Ayrton

Ayrton Senior Member

The handles look fantastic.

Has anyone found replacement blades for the Allparts nippers? My first pair from AP broke, and it took months to replace those due to no stock, and the replacement set has a chipped blade.

17. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I think it would sound better if you used Honduran Mahogany though! (J/K) LOL

Beautiful and Quite Useful work!