BYOG Kit: Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Telzilla, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Telzilla

Telzilla Member

So I just got a BYOGuitar custom shop LP Jr. double cut kit, and I have a couple of questions:

1. The body has a knot on the top upper bout ("elbow" area). See attached.
    big.jpg
    bigger.jpg

What should I do? Can I return this for an unblemished body?

2. When I dryfit the neck, there was a little wiggle in the pocket. Is this normal?

What should I do? Return the whole deal?

2. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Yeah i dont like that wiggle, can you hold it up by the neck and the guitar body not just fall off? The knot is your preference, if it bothers you then send it back. The neck pocket will probably be the same on the next one. It can be fixed fairly easily if you have a router. Glue in some wood the re route the pocket making it tighter.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Nick, that video brought me to this one:

[​IMG]

:shock:

When you post a video of "your amp" on Youtube,
    shouldn't you get dressed?
    Just wondering...
    :D

P.S.: I don't like that knot one bit.

WhiteEpiLP and Who like this.
  4. Telzilla

Telzilla Member

Hmm. I dont really like the idea of buying a kit for $500 and having to retoute the neck pocket. Not to mention i dont have a template.

If i was a woodworker, I wouldnt need the kit. Id just buy a block of mahogany.

If i put the neck in the pocket, the body doesn't fall off, but it slides down a little. See attached
    BEC8B0A1-F3A6-4C2E-B98D-54C552F7D561.jpeg

5. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Some blemishes give character such as the one on my Custom built. But that knot does not IMO.
    It would bother me to no end. I'd send it back...

20171122_192507.jpg

6. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

I'd send it back. I hope the next neck pocket is better, its not the worst ever but could be tighter. That complied with the knot and for $500 I'd send it back.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  7. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I bought 2 kits from them.....and now everyone else has chimed in I'll tell you my experience:

Jaguar - not a single rout was the right size/shape to fit Fender parts. I had to do a lot of work after finishing - and of course these was in the days where I assumed that the body would work with hardware. I make sure now that any parts for the guitar I fit to it to doublecheck.

LP - biggest problem. The angled tenon cuts were off, making huge 2mm+ gaps at the heel both sides. I sent pics to them and they responded merely with 'looks like some finish sanding was missed' and denied there were any issues with the quality. Being halfway around the world I declined to spend the multiple hundreds of $$ to return it and simply worked on making the neck fit better. Of course I then had to re-rout the neck pickup as that was now too tight for a pickup to fit in.

After this experience I said 'surely I could do this better myself'. And have been doing so ever since by making my own guitars.

9. WezV

WezV Senior Member

The knot would only bother me on a natural finish. It’s not structural.

On the neck wiggle, it’s not ideal but it’s not the end of the world either. That amount of movement could simply be a bit of wood shrinkage on its round the world journey. If they did it with a perfect tight fit it probably wouldn’t go in at all by the time it reached you

It would make me want to glue with titebond original as a water based glue will swell it to fit better than it does now. I don’t think it’s severe enough to need rerouting.

There are a hell of a lot of expensive guitars with worse pockets and bigger wood flaws than this

rockinlespaul likes this.
  10. TheZ

TheZ Senior Member

For that cheap of a kit you actually got off pretty good. I'd keep it. Or return it and get one from Precision (not affiliated, just heard nothing but great things about them).

11. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

That is not a cheap kit, if it was $500. There are cheap kits for $150 which include all the hardware as well. Frankly I could build and sell a kit for that kind of money and it would fit perfectly and have no blemishes. Having said that, this is the type of stuff you get from a large kit manufacturer. I, and others, cannot compete with the "cheap" kit builders but certainly for that price range you could probably get one of us here to build you a rock solid kit. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

rockinlespaul and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  12. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

If you do decide to keep it, I would simply shim each side of the neck but and carefully sand/feather to fit snugly. As far as the knot, it doesn't bother me one bit and can be barely noticeable depending on the chosen finish.

13. Telzilla

Telzilla Member

$500 doesn't seems that cheap to me. the Precision one is cheaper. Maybe I should just get one of those.

I'm planning on a wipe on cherry finish, so the knot may be an issue. Maybe I'll just try to fill it or something.

So if you were to use this, you wouldn't use shims to ensure the neck was straight? Not that I really know how to do that...

Is that an offer? Do you guarantee your work? can I see examples? Any references?

14. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I would easily build a kit for someone I know, and like ;-), for that amount of money. You can search my build threads here I probably have 8 or 10 full and partial builds. Here are links some of my builds -

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/firebird-ish-build.379366/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/57-futura-build.392989/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/birds-eye-rick-build-kit.358996/

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/new-build-something-different.345844/#post-7196089

You may or may not fall into the category I mentioned above. ;-) LOL

Cheers Peter.

15. failsafe306

failsafe306 Senior Member

I’d prefer this to a loosey goosey neck joint. A little sanding and scraping and one could easily achieve a nice joint.

WhiteEpiLP and Telzilla like this.
  16. Telzilla

Telzilla Member

Wow, you're a charmer. Pass.

17. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

BTW - that was a joke.

There are lots of guys here that just like to build and will help others out. I have built quite a few guitars and part guitar kits for people here for just a little bit over my cost. It is a small tight knit community. Back to the OP - I would agree that $500 is not a cheap kit. I would advise sending it back and going with Precision. I have heard nothing but good things about them or find someone from here that would be willing to do it for you. Ideally someone close to you so shipping doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Where are you located? That may entice someone here to help out. Good luck in any case and I apologize if you didn't take the joke as it was intended.

Regards Peter.

18. WezV

WezV Senior Member

no, i would make from scratch and it would fit well.

What you have is well within factory tolerances and i dare say as good if not better fitted than many vintage or modern juniors.

Try what i am suggesting if you are unsure. Damp the tenon section inside and out, leave a few minutes, then put them together and see how much it wiggles. a water based glue will have exactly the same effect.

If you are not happy, return it

19. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

i don't know why neck tenons aren't machined a little full for kits, so builders can tune them in upon assembly. IMO, the main reason kits are bought is that many people don't have the equipment and/or skill set to do the more technical aspect of the neck joint, whereas those attempting to assemble a kit should certainly be able to tune up a neck tenon with scraper, rasp, sanding block to fit properly. I also agree, that for the type of money you paid, many here could offer a substantially better product. I built a kit for someone for that type of money that didn't have those issues. He bailed, so I just glued the neck in and will finish it myself if no one comes forward first.

20. failsafe306

failsafe306 Senior Member

I had this same thought when it came to my bridge stud holes. They are a hair too loose and I was thinking that if I used a little titebond, then it would swell the wood to make a tight fit. My only concern is, would the bridge holes -and in OPs case, neck joint- loosen back up after the water in the glue dries out?