BYO Blizzard of 59 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ii-V-I, Jan 5, 2018.

1. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I bought a set and installed in them in an older Epiphone with the stock 57CH / HOTCH combo. They're by far and away the best value out there. Nickel silver from top to bottom, AlNiCo 2 bars, etc. and that 8k bridge / 7k neck spec point is a tried and true, much duplicated spec point that people are willing to pay big money for. The bridge tone is firm, the neck is clear as a bell. And BYO is offering both neck and bridge for .. $70 ?!? It almost seems like a pricing error or something. IMO, everyone ought to buy a set, even if they have nothing to install them in, because if they disappear from the market, the nearest comparable set, in terms of quality and specs, would be perhaps $120 Toneriders, and even the Toneriders are not as nice as these, as they have a slightly off shape cover and their brand name etched into the base plate.

When you unbox the BYOs, it's like you've just bought a boutique set, and this is true of their Strat and Tele sets as well. It's a certainty that some domestic winders source parts from the East, then wind and assemble the pickup domestically, and what I suspect is the case is that BYO is sourcing the same parts, and then just having them fully assembled in China. Similar to Tonerider's model, but seemingly with more "boutique" looking parts. This is just a guess on my part, but considering the economics at work, I don't see any other likely explanation.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Deviljho and bucklester like this.
  3. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Ok, I'm sold. Thanks for the response. I got the covered ones for $79.99. They were on Amazon prime, so free shipping. Even if they don't work out in my Bacchus Les Paul copy I'll find a guitar for them, I'm sure.

I only wish they'd offer them in an unpotted version.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  4. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

If its any consolation, there isn't very much wax. For a waxed covered humbuckers, it's easily one of the cleanest I've seen.

[​IMG]

truckermde likes this.
  5. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Oh that's good. Hopefully they're pretty alive sounding then. Those look pretty legit to me. I just read your exhaustive analysis at tdpri. I'm excited to give these pickups a try.

6. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

The pickups arrived quickly. They seem really nice.

Attached Files:

truckermde likes this.
  7. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

The hand written dc resistances is a nice touch, usually reserved for pricier pickups, such as seymour duncan antiquities.

8. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Update?
    I just ordered a set and am interested in what you think of yours.

9. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Honestly, I'm so far kinda digging the pickups that came in the bacchus guitar. They sound pretty good and are satisfyingly bright. I haven't installed the BYOs yet. I will try them soon and promise to post my thoughts here once I try them out.

10. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

Wax potted automatically turns me off

bulletproof likes this.
  11. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Yeah, me too. Antigua's research shows they're very lightly potted, at least. I know I should have tried them out by now, but I'm still spending time with the guitar the way it was when it showed up to me. Thing is, I might swap out the bridge too. I'll get around to trying the pickups eventually.

12. charlie chitlins

Me, too.
    I'll hit them with a blow drier and at least get the wax out from between the cover and bobbins.

13. charlie chitlins

I installed these in my new Epi korina V and I am SERIOUSLY impressed.
    I have another V with a Duncan 59 and a Pearly and these budget models are at least as nice.
    I did hit them with a blowdrier to get wax out from between the covers and bobbins...frankly, I forgot to tap on the body to see if I got any microphonics...but they sound soooo sweet.
    All that great woody touch-sensitive goodness I hoped for.
    I've been playing 50s and 60s Gibsons with P90s for MANY years, and I seldom hear a humbucker that has any of the complexity I like.
    I confess, I haven't sampled any of the high-end boutique stuff, but I know what a PAF-style humbucker is supposed to sound like and I think these pickups nailed it.
    I like to crank it up and blast some Blues (I generally gig a 58 Bassman and rehearsal last night was with a 56 Deluxe), but I also play a lot of Jump, so I depend on a fat clean tone with just a touch of hair on it.
    I'm really looking forward to gigging this thing.

14. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

That's a great review, and it's good news to read this. This is making me excited to try mine. I've basically decided the stock pickups in my bacchus are good sounding but that I gotta try some others. I'm more of a single coil kinda guy usually, and a slight lack of complexity and a slightly strident quality are my minor complaints with them. Glad to hear the BYOs are working out!

15. bucklester

bucklester Senior Member

I took antiqua's advise and got a pair. I took my epi les paul and the blizzards to the tech yesterday.
    I'll let you guys know when I get it back. I do have a question about the tech,so what would be
    the right forum to discuss this topic in?

16. charlie chitlins

Let us know how you like them! I still need to take a couple humbucker guitars to rehearsal so I can compare them in context. What I hear at home seldom holds up in a band context.
    I suppose a question about your luthier/tech would be best in Luthier's Corner.

bucklester likes this.
  17. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

"lightly potted" lol!

bulletproof likes this.
  18. charlie chitlins

Yeah...sketchy, right?
    But...someone here took a set apart and there was very little wax under the cover, where, with many pickups, the entire space is filled.
    And...I hit mine with a blowdrier (rather than taking the covers off) and I saw just the tiniest bit of wax. It just stayed in the inside edge of the cover and didn't even come out.
    Epi ones that I've heated make a big puddle.
    So...maybe potting is potting, and the amount makes no difference, but I would say that the term "lightly potted" is the truth.

19. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

Well, there's lots of confusion on this subject, though it's been covered here plenty, so I'll try to explain....

First - only a single molecule thick layer of wax is what's needed to bind a strand of coil wire to its neighbors, eliminating the sonic benefits of a slightly microphonic (unpotted) coil.

Second - the description states "vacuum wax potted." You can't get any more wax in the coils than by potting under vacuum.

3rd - Antigua's "research" doesn't show the coils, the only place it counts. It wouldn't matter if the entire cover was full of wax, but only if there is any wax in the coils or not. Someone wiping down the pickup after potting might be a nice courtesy of a visually clean pickup but it doesn't do anything to restore the clarity of potted coils.

They probably have to be potted. For the pickup set to be sold for $69, they must be made for about $18 of parts each at most and you can't get highly precise and consistent parts for that, so potting is probably a must for things to not oscillate.

bulletproof likes this.
  20. charlie chitlins

Not defending anybody or anything, but I have had the 100% real experience of melting the wax out of a pickup and having it become microphonic.
    I did this not 2 weeks ago with a pair of Epi humbuckers.
    One became microphonic, yet the other didn't.
    I don't know why.
    I had assumed, like you say, the tiniest bit of wax would bind the coil wire, so the difference must be in the space between the cover and the coils.
    I could of course, be wrong...it's conjecture.
    I've also had the experience of putting covers on potted pickups (a Duncan 59 and a Pearly) and having them become quite microphonic and delicious.
    The covers are not soldered.
    This leads me to believe that there is SOMETHING going on with covers that wax may mitigate.
    YMMV, but this is my real experience.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018