Buzz/Hum unused switches

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Zenatty1, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Zenatty1

Zenatty1 Premium Member

I have a '78 LPC that someone thought should have 2 switches (for some hot rod mod, I am sure) installed...I disconnected everything and cleaned it up, bought new switches to replace the beat up older ones. I did not connect those switches when I replaced all the pots, caps, pups...but I did develop a buzz/hum...I replaced the pups, and reconnected everything making sure it was all proper... still have a buzz/hum... it finally occurred to me that by not connecting (grounding) the unused switches that they may be the source of the unwanted buzz/hum...Does this sound likely? If so, is it proper to either 1) place copper shielding tape over the switches (inside the cavity) or 2) use black ( I suppose any color would do) electrical tape to cover the switches inside the cavity...? I wanted to keep the switches to cosmetically make the front of the guitar look "normal"... any and all thoughts or responses, much appreciated. Thanks in advance... Mark

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

No. If they are not hooked up to anything, as you say, they cannot inject hum into the signal.

I'm more curious about where those wires went that you disconnected from those switches......

Were they coil split switches? Did you hard wire the coils on each pickup back together after you removed the wire from the switches?

If you left those wires just hanging THEY will contribute to your hum as they are open ended antennas loose inside there, and worse, if they WERE for coil splits they are now feeding signal directly into your pickup coils that they are attached to.

Not to mention that you will only be running on single coils in each hummer until they are properly re-connected.

Just a guess, pics would help.

EDIT: you replaced the pups too? With 2 wire or 4 wire?

Make sure the bridge and strings are grounded to your new hookup. Should be a bare wire in there for that.

All parts and pots need to be grounded.

Make sure your jack is not wired backward with hot and ground reversed.

3. Zenatty1

Zenatty1 Premium Member

Thanks- no- I did not leave any wiring "hanging"...I replaced everything...toggle switch, pots, caps, all wiring...I just left the two switches alone and hooked nothing to them- also made sure nothing metal was touching them...I decided to just go active...bought some EMG's and I will just leave it alone... for now...lol- thanks for the reply