Buying Historic Reissue in the London area

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Member

Could you guys please recommend me some shops that usually have a decent stock of Historics in the southern London area, preferably no more than 2 hours train ride from Sutton?

Also, is it common to get a discount on a Gibson Historic if one pays in cash (like it is in the USA, from what I heard?)? If so, is it a good idea to approach the shop by email (or phone) in order to get a rough estimate of a discount?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    GT40 likes this.
  2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Um. 'Decent stock' of Historics anywhere in the UK is a big ask. In your radius, Guitar Guitar (Camden) and Andertons (Guildford) will have a few. Stretch out a bit and there's Peach Guitars (Colchester). It's outside your range, but World Guitars (near Stroud) has perhaps the largest stock.

If you pay cash, you can negotiate. Don't expect pants down on their part, though.

3. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

You could try gak in brighton

4. Andy California

Andy California Member

So GAK ar based in Brighton and have all their stock over there?

5. Andy California

Andy California Member

Do you guys think it's a good idea to buy one online without trying first from Session.de?

6. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

They are in brighton. I gave them a ring before I went over as not all their stock was on show. And they had everything ready for me when I got there.
    I wouldn't buy on line. Simply because I went through many guitars before I pick my one. Bit like Harry potter picking his want lol

Stuff likes this.
  7. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I wouldn't. CS guitars have a lot of variety in how they sound and how they feel to play. What sounds - and/or feels - perfect to one player can be 'meh' or even 'hell no' to the very next person. Well worth auditioning them first.

Sounds like this'll be your first CS LP? If so, I'd recommend visiting several shops first and playing everything they have in stock. Every single CS LP. It's a good education, and may throw up a really good surprise.

I found two of my CS LPs that way: gone into the shop to buy something else, tried everything, ended up walking out with something different.

Good luck with your search. Looking forward to the HNGD post and pics when you find one :)

BBD and thinkgreen like this.
  8. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

I would search the online stores of the big players like Thomann and session in Germany, find a guitar I might like to own, talk to them either by mail or phone and try to negotiate a price, pay and have it sent to you. As long as Brexit isn't done yet, you have every consumer right as usual in the EU. means the full right to return without any reasons. They don't charge much for the shipment, maybe 25 Euros or so

9. cdscarter

cdscarter Senior Member

Could always look at Macaris in Charing Cross Road. Not particularly cheap but they may do a deal if you pay cash. They had a few historics hanging up when I went last week.

10. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

Buying online is fine as long as the place you are buying from is knowledgeable, willing to negotiate, and willing to accept returns.

11. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

they don't have to be willing, they are obliged to in the EU.

BTW, session charges absolutely no shipping costs from Germany to the UK for purchases over 199 Euros.

Session Frankfurt is only 30 minutes away from me. So, if there's a guitar you like and you would like to have checked out prior to ordering, I might be able to do it. Guitar has to be available in Frankfurt though

12. geddy

geddy Senior Member

I'd recommend Anderton's or guitar village in farnham. Maybe guitar guitar in Epsom.

13. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Forgot about Guitar Village - but IIRC they aren't Gibson dealers anymore. They do have a few Historics though.

14. Riffmaster

Riffmaster Premium Member

Is Richard Henry Guitars in London? That might be a good option.

15. Lefty Adams

Lefty Adams Senior Member

kitmac50 likes this.
  16. Andy California

Andy California Member

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I visited some of these shops, but ended up going to Sheffield and buying from Richtone Music.

It's so weird that most of these shops stock lemonbursts and all flavours of tea (iced and sunrise), some tobaccos, but very little washed cherries or bourbon bursts. Is it that everyone loves cherries and they sell best, or is it the opposite and therefore shops don't stock them?

Also, I noticed that some shops (for example, World Guitars) had some True Historics that were returned by buyers (therefore lower price). It seems quite odd as I didn't see any regular reissues returned by buyers there...

By the way, further from London (actually, close to Sheffield), I would recommend Wild Wire Guitars in Selby as they currently stock three 2017 reissues (one of them 60s model). The only thing, they advertise them for a crazy new price, but it's possible to get a better deal.

Stuff and thinkgreen like this.
  17. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Well, I hope you got a good one. It's a fair step from South of the river to Sheffield :)

There's a local tradition here where people post pictures...

18. Andy California

Andy California Member

Richtone had all the washed cherries that were missing from the other shops, so I figured it was worth the trip :)

I'm a bit too lazy to take photos, but I'll try to get myself to it :)

19. FlameTop

FlameTop Senior Member

You must remember that, in the UK at least, the shops get what Gibson offer them not the other way around. So if Gibson don't make many Cherry/Bourbon etc, short of made to measure, you wont see them in the shops.

As for trade-ins, shops like WG have a good selection of 'serial-swapper' customers :) There's nothing wrong with those THs, its just some people like to swap the highest end stuff once very couple of months.

20. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Congrats on the purchase. Really hope you do take photos at some point.

How was the experience buying from Richtone? They're not a shop that you see folks regularly recommending.