Buying from Japan possible again?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Ph03n1x, Apr 29, 2017.

1. radarlove

radarlove Senior Member

I'm thinking these CITES fellows aren't guitar players; or if they are, they have all the guitars they think they'll ever want. I hope they suffer from terminal GAS.

2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I tend to agree with the following....

3. radarlove

radarlove Senior Member

I offer the observation that the CITES bureaucrats should revisit their ruling and provide clear and concise guidance to facilitate the legal trade in musical instruments containing endangered species products. From the previous discussions and citations in the forum, combined with what I've received from conversations with Ishibashi reps, the guidance isn't clear and the implementation of the ban has been left to the county option of the various signatories to the treaty. Our CITES betters should understand the need to help stupid humans and not provide unintended incentives to circumvent the rules.

4. LTigh

LTigh Junior Member

It's interesting to note that in complicating and inadvertently restricting the free trade of products manufactured with plantation-grown renewable varieties of rosewood (used in most guitar manufacturing currently) intended to offset and curtail the harvesting of endangered species (because these paid suits are of the opinion that customs agents are too stupid to distinguish the former from the latter), said bureaucrats have possibly further exacerbated the issue.

5. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Anyone done any shipping between the US and Canada? Any issues?

6. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

The problem with shipping between Canada and the US is that some of the couriers charge a "brokerage" fee for going across the border. It is a total scam in itself.
    I am looking at selling my Ornetts goldtop and if someone from the US buys it I will drive across the border to ship it rather than deal with CITEs and the potential brokerage fee.
    The reciever of the package has to pay those fees BTW. Not everyone is that close to the border though I guess.

7. RyanC

RyanC I'm Ryan... I'm an AVH Premium Member

I rolled the dice and bought an old MIJ (with a Braz fretboard) via Rinkya, and just received USA customs clearance in less than an hour. FWIW, I did use the Rinkya Prime shipping option...

bertrand4070 likes this.
  8. JohnInNJ

JohnInNJ Junior Member

I said I wouldn't go on Ishibashi's web site until the CITES stuff was cleared up...but I did it anyway. I went on both their Japanese and English sites, found a guitar listed on both that was love-at-first-CITES. I wrote to Hiroaki and asked if, because the guitar was listed on their English web site, it would be available for export. His reply...

"We need to stop to ship the guitar which has Rosewood material for a while. Unfortunately, we have had to place a temporary stop on selling items that has any parts made of either Rosewood, Bubinga, African Blackwood, and/or Cocobolo, to customers outside of Japan. This is because of new directives from CITES.

You can read a bit more about the restriction here:
    https://cites.org/eng/new_CITES_trade_rules_come_into_effect_as_2017_starts_02012017

We already started to get export lisence for rosewood items,
    but only for the guitars we bought before 1st January 2017.
    Unfortunately we bought this guitar in June 2017...

So we can not get the export lisence for this item.
    I am sorry for the inconvenience in this time."

FWIW, a friend of mine is the manager of NYC's leading antique (mostly acoustic) guitar store. A good deal of their business came from Japan but the store owner decided he didn't want to go through the time and expense of filling out CITES papers. So the shop stopped exporting rosewood guitars anywhere.

But why do they tempt us?!

bertrand4070 likes this.
  9. JohnInNJ

JohnInNJ Junior Member

I wrote to Hiroaki asking if he would kindly inform me when Ishibashi will be able to ship items bought after Jan, 1, 2017 overseas. His reply...
    "We think this situation will not be changed.
    But if we can, then we will inform you.

Now, some of our customer used he following web site.
    Please check.

https://www.worldshopping.global/en"

I've went to this website, and when I tried a simple search for "guitar", I keep getting women's underwear. And nothing my size.

The guitar I had my eye on is now also on eBay from a 3rd party seller (he doesn't own the instrument) at a VERY steep premium over what Ishibashi was asking.

So why is Ishibashi using an English language website with rosewood guitars advertised for sale?

10. villager

villager Senior Member

try a middleman service like rinkya or buyee..

11. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Doesn't most of them deny shipping of items that fall under CITES?
    I was looking around a bit a week ago and many seemed to have it in their TOS now that they can't help with items in violation of CITES.

Although they probably don't have detail knowledge so if an auction/listing does not contain prohibited words you might get it shipped :fingersx:

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Ishibashi sucks... I hope CITES hits them hard... :rock:

13. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Some have specific restrictions and won't ship, others have general restrictions, but will ship. I've had several rosewood equipped guitars shipped to me via FromJapan without incident. I realize I'm taking a risk, so I'm keeping the $ amount for those fairly low.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Hiroaki has been a pleasure to work with. If anything, he overblows cosmetic issues. Generally I'm pleasantly surprised by the actual condition vs. his description.

radarlove likes this.
  14. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Hiroaki is a nice guy (although a little flighty)... and so is Jason (nice, not flighty)... but their employees, in general, could care less about their customers and the company has zero customer loyalty. I've bought many high-end guitars from them, spent countless hours in their various shops over the years, and helped dozens of people acquire tens of thousands of dollars worth of guitars from them... just to be lied to and treated inconsequentially. Well, since then I've routed tens of thousands of dollars worth of business to other companies and will no longer buy jack from them... and with the largest Les Paul group on Facebook to back me I will continue to do so and see how much I can cost their petty lying asses... in the meantime, please do continue to buy from them, I look forward to hearing from you when they screw you...

15. villager

villager Senior Member

not at all bitter then? lol...

16. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Well, you're in the business of selling guitars... if you screw your customers would you expect them to just shrug it off?

17. villager

villager Senior Member

i pride myself on impeccable customer service, and I have a separate page detailing my policies when dealing with customers and there is a clearly defined level of service that i provide, so the situation has never arisen.... what did they do to you?

18. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

They decided to up the price on something after it was already bought and paid for... they said the price was a misprint... which I could've lived with, but not the way they just blew me off after tens of thousands of dollars worth of purchases over the years and probably a hundred thousand dollars worth of assisted purchases and referrals. This was a couple years ago and by my tally, they are about a hundred thousand dollars down by now due to missed revenue because they didn't want to either pay the thousand dollars and honor their advertised price and/or offer a simple apology. Fvck Ishibashi... not that it matters to them, they are an extremely wealthy company and could care less about individual customers. If you want to continue to support them... feel free... I will continue to cost them money...

I have a friend working at Ishibashi who said that CITES has hit them really hard and they are losing money hand over fist because of it... I'm still laughing my a$$ off over that...

19. villager

villager Senior Member

unacceptable...