Buying from Japan possible again?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Ph03n1x, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

You just keep parroting the same thing. Post a VALID source.

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

About three weeks ago I bought a guitar from a Japanese seller on eBay. It came in 4 days, I was really important with the tracking system of the Japanese mail system.
    I have ordered parts from China, that always takes three weeks. It lays in customs for about a week. It hangs in New York for at least two full days. The order is always missing an item and the box looks peeped in. I stopped dealing with China directly or through eBay. I pay a little more to buy it from a us vendor.

3. radarlove

radarlove Senior Member

I've had great experiences purchasing from Ishibashi, of course it's their internet sales department. Great communication, very accurate descriptions, quick shipping. No worries. What they call a B+ instrument is Mint in the states--finish swirls. Johan and Hiroaki are always very helpful. I sure hope they get this settled with the bureaucrats, because they have some great deals. In many cases, US instruments cheaper (with shipping) than the states.

4. Dino Velvet

Dino Velvet Senior Member

Call them yourself

5. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

i don't think i could have problems with ishibashi cause they clearly annonce what they are going to do. their communication about instrument or cites is perfect. this is not the case with the different intermediate services. they sell us guitars without any paper and we buy it at our own risk.

6. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

They can't have a policy that is not part of their TOS. It has to be posted somewhere to enforce it. I have searched and found nothing.

7. Hogie34

Hogie34 Member

Knowing PayPal and how they decide on cases at their own will as long as it benefits them, they'd probably use their catch all policy from their website,

You are not eligible for paypal buyer protection if you:
    "Violate any law, statute, ordinance, or regulation ..."

8. Skit

If the seller doesn't file the proper paperwork how is the buyer breaking the law?

9. bertrand4070

because he buys without papers.

10. Skit

^ Where did you get that. Paperwork is on the seller. Proof does not rest on the buyer.

"52. I want to buy an instrument from someone in another country. How do I do that?

You do not need a U.S. CITES import permit from our office unless the instrument contains species listed in CITES Appendix I and the specimen is not pre-Convention. The United States does not require the issuance of import permits for CITES pre-Convention specimens. Keep in mind that there are additional restrictions for instruments with ESA-listed species such as elephant ivory, tortoiseshell, and marinemammals. Review our “What Can I Do With My Ivory” webpage and our “Can I Sell It?” factsheet for additional information.

Generally, the exporter (foreign seller), must obtain a CITES document from the country of export/re-export, which should accompany the instrument. You should keep a copy of the endorsed and validated permit in your permanent records.
    "

https://www.fws.gov/international/p...appendix-II-timber-listings-December-2016.pdf

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  11. bertrand4070

you are right:
    import certificate is required only for appendix I species which means only for brazillian rosewood in our case. only export certificate for the rest mahogany, ebony...

12. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Wow, look at that, actual information with a valid source. Thanks Skit!

This was the assumption I made after reading everything on the new CITES regs, that the responsibility was with the exporter.

13. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

I know my Japanese as well as other overseas clients are as pizzed as I am about the crap CITES regs.....

radarlove likes this.
  14. bertrand4070

anyway, the intermediate services doesn't give any paper. i'm sure it will be difficut to explain all that to the custom.

15. JohnInNJ

JohnInNJ Junior Member

According to CITES, it doesn't matter when a guitar (or anything else containing rosewood) was purchased or put up for sale. What matters is date of manufacture. As long as it has rosewood or customs suspects it has rosewood, you must also show when and where the rosewood was harvested or at least give an educated guess. At least, this is my understanding after reading pages and pages of commentary and the actual CITES regs pertaining to rosewood and effective 1/2/17. Here's a pretty good write-up on what CITES now requires. And why I just bought a used LP Standard rather than deal with Japanese imports at this time https://www.fretboardjournal.com/features/guitar-lovers-guide-cites-conservation-treaty/

16. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Member

My post-CITES Rinkya purchase was classed on the postage label as a gift. Is this how they get round the non-certification problem?

bertrand4070 likes this.
  17. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Your linked 'News' are dated 2008.......:hmm:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  18. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Of course, date of manufacture is what matters. My post was related to a previous question of why Ishibashi was refusing to ship guitars they acquired after 1/1/17.

19. JohnInNJ

JohnInNJ Junior Member

1 - It doesn't matter. The impact is the same. 2 - If you read further down he refers to 2010 in the past tense.

20. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

CITES-regulations have changed in 2017 - so what does 2008 or 2010 matter :hmm:

Skit likes this.