Buying from Japan possible again?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Ph03n1x, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I am seeing quite a few posts about people buying from Japan again. I thought Ischibashi and digimart were not shipping overseas due to CITEs. Are people just using intermediary services like Jauce etc?

2. LTigh

LTigh Member

You might want to clarify-- it's only ROSEWOOD fretboard/neck/whatever guitars that most of the major retailers in Japan are a bit squirrelly about shipping over. Whilst the Japanese are nearly as meticulous about paperwork and regulations as the Germans (I've lived in both places and currently deal with some Japanese and German wholesale and manufacturers b2b at the day-job. No, the NDAs I signed when I got hired do not permit me to indulge anyone's curiosity), it seems it's a bit harder right now getting rosewood certifications through the current governing body in Japan-- Ishibashi has attempted it but is currently suspending sales of rosewood-fretboard guitars until the various bureaucracies resolve their issues. At least that's what many of the newer listings on the English site now show.

There are people who may use various proxy services like Buyee and fromJapan to go around the rosewood restriction thanks to various loopholes in the system (if the buyer doesn't state the verboten terms "rosewood" or "honduran mahogany" when describing the guitar, it doesn't trip the warning bells and you're free to purchase and they're free to ship-- a weird version of "Don't ask, don't tell."

HOWEVER, you're still at the mercy of the Custom Gods of whatever your home country may be. In the U.S.A., that entails whatever state of mind or mood the Customs official happens to be in that day. He or she may waive the guitar through, or keep it for weeks and go over the contents of your package with a fine-toothed comb. Luck of the draw, really. Some people have indicated that they've gotten their rosewood-whatever guitars just fine despite fears of the CITES Secret Police and their malfeasant desire to keep us poor guitar enthusiasts from buying and trading our instruments across international borders (oh, yeah, and saving non-endangered rosewood because some bureaucrat believes that most customs officials are too stupid or lazy to tell the difference between sustainable plantation-grown rosewood and the Brazilian stuff-- er, I mean, we're saving the Earf, MAAAAAAAAN).

But any other guitars from Japan seem to be fine-- just got my hands on an Edwards John Sykes from Japan through Buyee. About 3 days from when they received it in Tokyo to when the mailman brought it to my door-- tracking indicates it spent about an hour in customs before being released and sent to my local post office. In fact, I got the guitar before the tracking indicated that it had left customs.

Ebony is wonderful that way.

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

4. paruwi

:thumb:

5. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Member

I have received two rosewood fretboard guitars from Japan since the new CITES restrictions came into force. The first, via Rinkya, arrived in a matter of days with no mention of CITES paperwork. The second, an eBay purchase from ookini55, was slower - it took Yuma ten days to get the paperwork sorted (faster than his two weeks estimate), and then he shipped. The guitar spent a week in UK customs for reasons unknown. (Tracking recorded a duty charge was raised the day after it arrived, then a week later a revised charge...which turned out to be exactly the same!)

kevinpaul likes this.
  6. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

I've used Rinkya for my last three MIJ guitar purchases and (thankfully) there was no hold-up at customs. All three came to my house less than 5 days time, which is reasonably quick.

I highly recommend Rinkya as a pass-through service. Just wish they wouldn't use those darn packing peanuts!

kevinpaul likes this.
  7. paruwi

was it past Jan 2017 or before ?

8. 64F100

64F100 Senior Member

I'be had 4 rosewood boards shipped through FromJapan via EMS and through O'Hare customs since Jan 2017.

9. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Post CITES inception, no issues.

10. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

All in March and April this year.

paruwi likes this.
  11. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Ok, cool. I know a few of you are in Canada as well. I asked Rinkya and they said technically they could still be stopped at customs. Does anyone know what happens then? Can you as the buyer fill out the CITEs paperwork, and then submit it to customs? Or does it have to come from the seller? Because I doubt Rinkya or the other guys would fill out those forms. (I tend to like to prepare for the worst case scenario)

kevinpaul likes this.
  12. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

It also depends on the value of the guitar. All of mine I bought under $700. It's around that threshold where import fees are charged and customs may get more involved.

Again, Rinkya was a breeze. They might know how to work the system. A little pricey, but worth it.

13. JohnInNJ

JohnInNJ Junior Member

I paid for a Greco from Ishibashi back on March 27, so its a bit over 1 month now and I haven't hear anything. I'm patient so I thought I would give them 6 or 7 weeks before I started asking questions. However if some sellers are taking only 10 days or so to complete the paperwork, something does seem off. If anything the guitar cost 154000 yen including shipping.

14. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

I assume that's for Canada? Good to know. Australia was 1000 but they are trying to scrap that to protect the monopolies they have in their own country. Not sure if it has changed yet. They are also trying to bring in an internet tax for all online purchases. Wankers!

15. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

it is what we can read on ishibashi site:

Note for instruments containing Rosewood or African Blackwood:
    You may have noticed we have started listing instruments made from Rosewood and African Blackwood again. Due to the new 2017 CITES regulations however, trade in these woods has become heavily regulated. Purchases of these instruments will incur an additional waiting period of approximately 2-4 weeks while we apply for individual trading permits for each instrument. Please note that this additional time frame is counted from the date you purchase the instrument as we can not apply for the permit until then. Despite this, there is still a possibility the application will be declined by the Japanese government. In this case we will of course offer a full refund.

GammyBird and paruwi like this.
  16. Dino Velvet

Dino Velvet Senior Member

For the Americans its a roll of the dice. Most sail thru as they always have, BUT...now if it gets stopped on a CITIES violation you lose the guitar and all your money. PP has said so as you are now engaged in an illegal activity. And they don't refund for that.

17. Evo8

Evo8 Senior Member

"CITES"
    What source did you find this?

18. bertrand4070

i don't really know the risk for france and i've asked shopping mall japan which is the service i use since four years. they say they don't know about the cites law and they will look forward. i'm apparently the first person talking to them about that. i'm really surprised.

19. JohnInNJ

JohnInNJ Junior Member

My purchase of a Greco EGF-1000 from Ishibashi came to a dead halt. I received this e-mail from Ishibashi today...
    "Your cites documents was returned yesterday, because the guitar you bought from us has Jakaranda fretboard.
    Unfortunately we can not get export lisence for the Jakaranda material...
    I am so sorry for the inconvenience in this time..."
    OUCH!
    I replied that I could not understand how guitars are being sold on eBay from Japan to the US on a daily basis with no problems other than a delay of a few weeks. I also can't understand why the guitar was not relisted on Ishibashi's website. Although I'm getting my money back, I somehow feel very "cheated" by the system.

20. bertrand4070

how would it be if your local custom discover the jacaranda ?
    with intermediate service or not.