Buying Epiphone Les Paul Standard: The China vs Korea manufacture.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Luciano90, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Epiphone China caught up a long time ago. The Tribute + models are made in Qingdao and no one can complain about their quality in any way. The MiK vs. MiC controversy should have been put to bed years ago. There have been many less than perfect guitars come out of Korea over the years and numerous examples can be found all over the boards with pictures of crooked tuners, control knobs and other examples of terrible QC.

Judge each individual guitar on how it plays and feels, not where it was made.

3 people like this.
  2. Unsung Heroes

Unsung Heroes MLP Vendor

They should also have a listen to the comparisons I did here between Gibson '57s, Epiphone Open Alnicos and stock Epiphone covered Alnicos... there's a some difference for sure, but certainly not as a big a gap as some preconceptions lead people to believe...

So rather resemblant of Barcham's post above in that respect actually... [​IMG]

Welcome to the MLP Forum by the way :wave:

1 person likes this.
  3. TheAce93

TheAce93 Senior Member

My favourite Epiphones at the moment are my Indonesian LP Pro FX and my Chinese Black Beauty 3.

I guess I just have shit taste in guitars. :sadwave:

But at least my knobs and tuners in the right place... :naughty:

4. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

I bought a Chinese made (Quindao) in September last year new at guitar center. Bought a Standard plus top pro custom shop limited edition in desert or tea burst, still not sure what color burst it is. And after having and playing this guitar, I can only say, it is an amazing instrument, no matter where it was made. There is not one single thing i can fault on this guitar. It came set up very well. I have fine tuned the intonation, but it was near perfect. The finish and craftsmanship is far beyond what I would expect in a guitar this price. Don't let the made in china tag scare you. The stuff coming out of the Quindao factory is amazing, they are producing exceptional instruments. I would definitely buy another, because they're that good, and I picked a great one, this thing rings like a bell and the pickups are amazing, the probuckers compete with Gibsons any day of the week. :)
    Here's my baby, one the best guitars I've owned in any price range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Sambo

Sambo Junior Member

I have not tried a China Epi, but my 2000 Epi Standard is just as comfortable to play as my 2013 Gibson LP & after changing the pickups to P90 in the bridge & P94 in the neck sounds different of course but just as good but in a different way,,like single coils on steroids. My Epi was built at the Saine Plant in Korea and I see no reason to even try out a China Epiphone. No doubt the Chinese Epiphones are pretty, but pretty don't make you play better,,my Gibby ain't pretty either but neither am I.:cool: