Buying Epiphone Les Paul Standard: The China vs Korea manufacture.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Luciano90, Nov 1, 2007.

1. a1terrier

a1terrier Senior Member

Hi Neand. Stamped on a metal plate????

2. Neanderpaul

Neanderpaul Senior Member

No. Into the back of the headstock. Not as deep as a Gibson but enough so that you can feel the texture when you run your fingers over it.

3. The Stig

The Stig Member

4. a1terrier

a1terrier Senior Member

This is my serial number plate. Any other MIK owners got this??

Attached Files:

5. longbow

longbow Senior Member

According to my serial number it is made in Korea but 2 years ago I purchased a MIC Standard that took me a few hours to pick out. I played about all of them at GC including Gibson standard LP's. You know the solid red cherry colored one. Forget the exact name of it. Anyways chose the Epi LP after alot of listening to me other folks and my wife play them. Needed cash so had to sell it.

Enter the Epi Standard in honeyburst or iced tea whatever they call it now. Apparently Korean made according to the serial number. As nice as the China made I bought mentioned above. Put new tone caps in it and it is extremely nice sounding now. The finish really is impeccable, you know no over runs globs etc.etc. Neck is nice and baseball bat like, which I really like. Actually the neck finish is wee bit thick but that can be remedied if I decide to keep it. Anyways thats it and mine doesn't have a plate on the back like that cause its a set neck. thanks

6. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Just about everyone who owns an LP300. :thumb:

7. Neanderpaul

Neanderpaul Senior Member

Well...that explains it. You have an LP300. Mine is a Standard.

8. shtdaprdtr

shtdaprdtr Senior Member

If you havent already bought a guitar and can only get a chinese Epi...then go for the Slash model.

9. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Killer Korean limited edition on my web page ,decent price for MLP member.

10. matthornet

matthornet Senior Member

Last I checked the new Epiphones are made in the Gibson Qingdao factory that is owned by Gibson & run by Gibson employees. Unless Gibson-americans have imprisoned some helpless chinese laborers who just signed up for a craftmen job to earn a decent living. Or else I believe the it is a well organized & reputable production factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. conners70

conners70 Junior Member

i own a les paul epiphone from korea i was lucky enuff to get the body on its own for $250 aud and then spent an extra 500$ aud on getting seymour duncan humbucker pick ups x2, sperzel machine heads volume control knobs and the same wiring as the gibson guitar so basicly i have a gibson but with a epiphone body. it is the best guitar sound i have ever had and its a beautifully made guitar for $750 .. you will find it dosent really matter where its made infact u could buy a gibson for $3,000 and stil not be happy with it,, i think its a mater of trying out alot of them because every guitar has a different sound in my eyes some are just made better than others you will find maybe korea guitars were over all better made but i think the chineese would make just as good and i dont think the wood is any different . i have a mate with a chinesse made gibson to be honest its very nice and the pickups came from my epi so it shows some epi`s wil have good sound and pickups no matter where its made.. they get the parts sent to them all they do is put them together. so it dont matter where its made after all epiphone are licenced bye gibson so its probably the same wood but less aged and cheaper parts for a cheaper price,, u get what u pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!after al if u spend more than normal on a gibson all u get better is longer aged wood maybe 50 yrs for a 14k usd guitar:slash:

12. -=[Shifty]=-

You paid $500 for 2 pickups, a set of tuners and a wiring harness? :shock:
    Now you have a Gibson with an Epiphone body? :laugh2::laugh2:
    Sorry, it's nothing but an Epiphone with a few ugrades.
    And, no, Epiphone does not use the same wood as Gibson.

13. Goostah

Goostah Senior Member

That's Australian arse raping pricing for ya man. Australian distributors and retailers do this :h5: after every sale.

14. -=[Shifty]=-

Wow. I knew that guitars were expensive in Australia, but dayyyum....

15. aussie2009

aussie2009 Senior Member

+1:thumb:

16. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

[​IMG]

17. L.Campionero

L.Campionero Banned

18. Bolognacorn

Bolognacorn Junior Member

Is there any price differace between a korean and a chineese made one?

19. Chocobo

Chocobo Member

to my belief, no. the models may differ, but an Epiphone Les Paul standard made in China or Korea will not be the different prices, referring to Retailers. To individual sellers, whatever can happen. Many sellers will try to put a higher price on a Korean made with the logic of "You can get mine, or go out there and get a geetar." Your choice.

20. Koop

Koop Senior Member

I bought my Chinese Epiphone Les Paul on impulse, I wasn't in the store shopping guitars but starting playing one and really liked it. At that point I tried out several. I found one that really felt right - a Standard Plain Top. There were Plus Tops that looked nicer but this once felt right and sounded good. I bought it and have no regrets. Having said that, I can't answer the OP, I don't have any experience with a MIK.