Buying Epiphone Les Paul Standard: The China vs Korea manufacture.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Luciano90, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Luciano90

Luciano90 Junior Member

Hi there mylespaul community. I was wondering, I'm going to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Standard. But, I was told the ones from China aren't good as the ones from Korea. My problem is that, I'm from Argentina, and here is impossible (really) to find one from USA, so, the new ones are only from China. So, I can buy a new one from China, but I was told that wood is worst than the one's from Korea, and that the Koreans are good overall the Chinese ones. So, is it true that the Chinese one's are so bad?, What should I do?, do I really have to purchase one from Korea?, in this case I would have to buy a used one, but this is a problem because I can't use credit card, and I don't have all the money right now.

So, can anyone help me out to decide?, thanks.

Zack, >Photi G< and lespauljeff like this.
  2. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Many CHinese products are made in prison labor camps with less than decent materials, I would say try and wait till you have the money and search out a Korean

3. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

While this may be true, Epiphone has its own factory in China, and the Epi's are made there. I believe that prior to this, Samick was subcontracting to Gibson as their Epiphone manufacturer.

I have an Epi LP Standard Plaintop which I like a lot, and it was made in China. Therefore, I think that each guitar, regardless of manufacturing location, must be judged on an individual basis. Also, if you're waiting for a Korean Epi, it could be a long wait.

See this article: Epiphone debuts new models and first product from Gibson's China plant

4. overdriver

overdriver Banned

The made in China guitars are just as good as the made in Korea ones I have one of each , both are good. a person can get a bad guitar made any where from any maker Gibson, Fender etc. etc. You will not be dissapointed with the Chinese guitars IMO.

5. Luciano90

Luciano90 Junior Member

Thanks for the replys. When I get the money, if I can get a Korean used one, think I will buy one, if not, I will buy a new one from China.

By the way, the difference between a Les Paul Standard, and a Gold Top 56, are the pickups only?.

6. hedzeppelin

Not sure about that. When you buy an Epi, you should upgrade the pickups anyway. I put DiMarzios in mine.

7. overdriver

overdriver Banned

The difference between the 56 and standard, is pretty much the pickups yes, there is a lot of confusion about which woods are used in the making of the Epi les pauls, For a while it or I should say Epi web specs., were Mahogany/ Alder with a maple veener top , then some are all Mahogany, the 56 has a all Mahogany body and p-90 pick ups, these guitars are great sounding, can you try one any where around you.

Short answer is IMO the standard and 56 are pretty much the same except the pick ups.
    :thumb:

8. overdriver

overdriver Banned

When a person buys a Epi they SHOULD upgrade the pups LOL hed I like ya but hey not everyone wants to, or feels the need to! The stock pups in my made in china sound good enough for me. Not all Epi les pauls sound the same even with the same stock pups, and it is of the opinion of most 56 owners that the stock p-90s are great .:) Change is only required if the IMO owner feels the need to and if the guitar is dead sounding to begin with an upgrade can be a waste of time.If it sounds good right out of the box why bother. Some people change pups more often than I change my socks.:rofl:

9. Luciano90

Luciano90 Junior Member

Yes, I was told, but, I will expend all my money in the guitar, so, I will change the pickups when I need, and when I get money =P.

10. InTheEvening

InTheEvening Senior Member

^ Very good idea, i'm sure a change in pickups can help a lot. However like overdriver said the stock ones "usually" are satisfactory enough for normal use until you have enough to upgrade. I still use the stock ones and have had no problems as of yet. Though I plan on putting some sort of Jimmy Page wiring and a PAF style pickup.

As for the China and Korea thing, I have a Korean made Les Paul atleast that's what it says on the headstock. :p
    Anyways it's great, but honestly just try a bunch of guitars (doesn't matter if it's Chinese or Korean), find the one that really feels nice and plays well and go with that. Location of the factory might have an effect on the quality but you should be the one to decide which guitar is good by finding the best for you.

I heard the new LP standards are better cause they are all mahogany now, my Korean one is Alder/Mahogany still plays great though.

11. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

I have both Chinese and Korean Epiphone Dots and Les Pauls.

The level of quality is pretty much the same.

As a matter of fact..... the new Epis coming out are better than ever!! I have a 2007 Trans Black Epi Les Paul Standard (made in China) that is extremely good!! It's a little nicer playing and more comfy than my others.

Also I think the stock Epiphone pickups are quite good, and an upgrade is not absolutely necessary.

Here are some clips i've done with stock Epiphone pickups:

YouTube - Epiphone Les Paul Trans Black

YouTube - Epiphone Dot part 4

YouTube - Epiphone Dot part 3

If you do upgrade the pickups eventually....... it will be the icing on the cake! :)

12. hedzeppelin

My Plaintop With the DiMarzios....
    [​IMG]

rem22 likes this.
  13. skyblue

skyblue Junior Member

Yeah, where their organs are farmed and harvested to sell to an unsuspecting market. Jeez, you don't happen to spend your free time protesting in front of the Chinese embassy, do you? :fingersx:

Anyway, there's a very lively exchange currently going on in another forum about the same subject...You should probably read it before posting comments like these that take the thread completely off-tangent:

Are the made in Korea Epiphones better than the Chinese Epi's? - Harmony Central Musician Community Forums

14. Luciano90

Luciano90 Junior Member

I finished reading that thread. So, we got from experienced people like dcooper that says that are the same. And then we got some others claiming that china = ***t. And another bunch says that each guitar can be good or bad...

So, from what I saw, one of the chinese guitars had kinda some finish problems, but played right. The others I saw were good. I haven't seen any Korean one, except the Ultra, but, I want the Standard, and one of the Ultra's I saw kinda had the "problem" of the chinese, it's not a real problem, but the finish, it was a detail...

15. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Yes you can find faults in any model of guitar, or pick up, read reviews on Harmony any that have 10 or more reviews will have people liking the thing reviewed as well as disliking it. Get one which you like ,buy it from a store or person you know try before you buy,buy one you try. As I said, I have one of each both are good. Another way to look at it is IMO a good example of a Chinese standard will be as good as a good example of a Koreian one, I should know.:)

16. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Sky, I dont have time or a Chinese Embassy near by me now, I did actually live two blocks from the LA Consolate when I lived in LA. yeah, I do have some big big issues with China , I Can also say I really dont want to fuel their economy anymore than i am forced to . Due to the thread rules, I am not gonna get into my position on the Chinese. All I gotta say is investigate some of their " white papers" of past and present .

17. Paulo

Paulo Junior Member

Hi, Luciano

I recently bought one EPIPHONE Chinese Les Paul Standard (LA), which I liked very much ...I tried many of them at Guitar Center ... and I picked up the best for me ... I was insecure about the guitar but ... I can tell you that the pick ups are good ... I am not thinking to change anything for now, it holds in tune very well also, and the guitar has a good vibe!! I had others guitars in the past few years, more expensive guitars that came in a terrible set up, never holds the tune (American mades), better woods also ...

But none of this matters ... this all is a matter of luck and name. I looked the new Gibsons Vintage mahogany and I really prefer mine.

Good Luck!
    Paulo

Attached Files:

18. Luciano90

Luciano90 Junior Member

I went to a music store today, and I saw a Les Paul Standard, but it was SI******** (forgot the numbers) the serial, according to The Guitar Dater Project - Epiphone Serial Number Decoder it doesn't exists, tried only the 'I' and it says from Korea. But, the guitar had an sticker that said 'Made in Indonesia', but the sticker is the same in my current guitar (Washburn BT-3, from the same store), or is VERY simillar. This Les Paul I tried it before and it sounded the best for me, but, well it was the first I tried. So, I'm confused, is there any Epiphone plant in Indonesia?, maybe this guitar is fake? I doubt that, but... or, is it really from korea? because I really liked it.

Anyway, thanks for all the replys.

19. overdriver

overdriver Banned

SI That company has a plant in Korea And a new one in Indonesia. Also another Koreain Company U (unsung) has a Chinese plant and the guitars from it are UC*******

20. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

Here is what I have to say.

I own a 93' Epi LP Custom from Korea, and before I bought it I tried out all the new Epis like it, and I preferred it over the majority of the Chinese ones. But on the other hand, some of the brand new ones straight rocked and were better than the 14 year old one I bought. There is gonna be bad and good no matter where they come from.

In my eyes (and ears), Rock N' Roll isn't about labels. It don't matter where it came from. If it rocks, it rocks. If it dont, it dont. You feel me?