Buy a low end Gibson or high end Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Rock Star, Sep 6, 2007.

1. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Im_bored - I was expecting some debate!!

Seriously, though - I really miss the crap out of my Alpine White Studio - I'll absolutely have another once I can afford to get more "toys." Because I miss her so:

[​IMG]

Its the little things that Gibson did to cut corners that bother me w/ the Studio. The savings is mainly in the lack of binding - which is great - who really needs to spend the extra money on that. I can even see the neck inlays as not being important. But why... WHY... didn't they use a graphite or bone nut?

It was really hard for me to get past the headstock when I made my decision to go w/ the Elitist. And, the nitro finish and ebony fretboard are two very key things that are lacking from the Elitist. The woods used on both are excellent. I had to get real objective, sit there, and decide if I wanted a great guitar from Gibson, or a slightly "better" guitar from Epiphone (based on my observations) - it was a tough call.

And I'll be honest - a big factor in my purchase was the fact that I already have an Alpine White Epiphone Les Paul Custom... I figured... "I can sneak this right under the wife's nose!!"

And it worked!

[​IMG]

I was really trying to be argumentative in my initial statement... so I'll concede that they are both with their pros and cons - and those pros/cons are polar opposites of each other. As a consumer, I'd gladly have paid a couple hundred extra for a Studio if they'd get rid of some unneeded plastic, and several hundred extra for the Elitist if they'd go w/ the nitro and ebony fretboard. Anyways, if you're sitting around with $1000-1200, its nice to know that you can get a professional grade Paul from Gibson or their Elitist line that will sound like a $3000 guitar.

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Absolutely! Binding doesn't do a whole lot to make a guitar sound better :D We pay a lot extra for the "looks" that we want - flame top, binding, whatever - I think that the Studio is the most guitar for your money from the Gibson lineup.

3. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Cool, I actually had my nut replaced with a bone nut. :) I bought mine in flawless condition from ebay for $800 with a brand new case. It's from mid 2006 and isn't chambered, so, all fine for me! Oh and Ibanez gems are over $2000 and they have plastic inlays. That always angered me, such a nice guitar, and with plastic inlays!?
    Cool to hear your views, I'll recommend an elitist to my rhythm guitarist, who is planning to buy a faded studio. :thumb: Btw..I had to go to dictionary.com to get the spelling of rhythm right! GAH

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Those Fadeds are a good price - but the Elitist is definitely worth if he's in the market!

Good upgrade there w/ the bone nut! I had a number of Ibanez guitars way back when I was in high school (EX, Talman, Iceman, AX7 string) - and then I got my hands on that Gibson Studio and I haven't turned back from the Les Paul since!!

5. alpinestudio

alpinestudio Senior Member

Same here diceman. I came from an Ibanez heritage as well. Owned several Prestige Japanese models..quality is top notch, but the sound didn't do it for me. I guess it sounds like the Elitist and the Studio models are neck and neck..just that the Elitist is up by a hair. I equip EMG's in my guitars and I probably won't hear the Elitist's solid body in all its glory as the pickups take a way the wood tone a bit vs. passive pickups.

6. InTheEvening

InTheEvening Senior Member

Wow I should look into the Elitist for my next guitar, I don't see them in the stores though.

Or maybe a used Studio for $600 or $700, then I can upgrade a lot of the parts.

Great looking Epiphones BTW.:hippie:

7. alpinestudio

Another question for Diceman. Are the Gibson parts ie.. pickup rings/pickguard swappable with the Elitists. I heard Gibson parts are not swappable with regular Epiphone models.

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I'm thinking yes - to an extent. I know the Elitist uses the small posts on the bridge - I'm not sure about the thread pattern being standard or metric. Pickup Rings should be the same though - since the pickups are made at Gibson USA - switches too, pots, all that. That would probably be a good question for Gibson customer service, though! I'm not sure, as mine is still stock.

9. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Thanks! Either option would be a good one. There is an elitist standard with a tobacco burst that is sweet! There's one on Ebay right now like that. My Gibson dealer has a few Elitists, but they're not really a huge seller - it takes someone who really knows what they want to spend Gibson prices on an "Epiphone," but Elitist owners have a cult-like following and reverance for their guitars...

10. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Who needs binding.

[​IMG]

11. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Those premium plus Studios ROCK! Great lookin' axe - I love the "no pickguard" look as well.

12. alpinestudio

I love the look and color on the premiums.