Buy a low end Gibson or high end Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Rock Star, Sep 6, 2007.

1. InTheEvening

InTheEvening Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2: Hahaha

2. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Well since I already had two duds in that department, my present policy is learners permits only, No more Marriage licences, now or anytime soon:rofl::rofl:
    Hmm I'd still go with either a low end Gibson for most models, I might make an exception for a Korean Korina V or Explorer though, of course with after market pickups

3. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Same here, Two strikes.........would take a real Venus
    to make me do it again!
    Learners Permit yes!!!!!!!!!!!! with lots of practice:wave:

Yea i agree also. I bought my Epi Les Paul Ultra two months
    ago put duncans on it,
    then my Gibson Les Paul studio, i hardly pick up my Ultra now.

4. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

LOL I hear ya on alot of practice
    The guitar thing, Thats why I have really come to appreciate Japanese Replica's Specially anything made in the Fuji Gen Gakko plant . they were the one hit hardest by the lawsuit by Gibson in the 70s . Their mid 80s guitars got Gibson into negotiations for the Orville and Orville by Gibson lines later , when Gibson tried to sue again in Japan

5. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Broken record routine here. Play 'em both and pick the one that sings to you the most.

6. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

And now, they make Elitists! :)

Its a wonderful world... There's no better deal out there...

7. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

I'll chime in as well and say get the one that feels best to you, the heck with the name on the headstock, resale value bedamned. I haven't sold a guitar in 15 years, I buy them to play and keep. 'Course I'm a stubborn SOB, and if something displeases me about a guitar, I'll keeping fiddling with it till it's right!

8. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I have to go with the "Low end" Gibsons. They may be cheaper, but I don't think they sound cheap at all. I haven't tried any High end Epiphones though.

9. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

You should! I've said it a lot already - but the Elitists really are gems.

10. im_b0r3d_

What are being considered as the high end epiphones? The elitists, or customs?
    Or both? I think I need to go compare them to Gibson's!

11. alpinestudio

alpinestudio Senior Member

Low end Gibsons as in the Studios vs. the high end Epiphone Elitists? Is this what we're comparing these too?

12. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I think it started as a Epiphone Custom v. Gibson Studio debate - but if the Elitists are thrown in the mix as a "high end" Epiphone - I think they'll take the cake!

13. im_b0r3d_

I think just the unfinished Gibsons. Not too sure, but my Studio easily beats any epiphone I've seen.

14. alpinestudio

alpinestudio Senior Member

LOL im_bored says Studio..and diceman says Elitist...explain!

15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Guest

why not a USED maple capped Studio (they made these since 1983) for $700?

16. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

:) OK - I've owned a Studio, and I own an Elitist. Don't get the Elitist confused with anything else that Epiphone makes. Elitist: Long neck tenon, bone nut, Gibson USA electronics and hardware - fit and finish far above that of Gibson (lets be honest) - not to mention all of the appointments - mother of pearl and abalone inlays (real), binding all over (its a Custom). Made in Japan, not China. Studio: Ebony fretboard (on the whites), nitrocellulose lacquer.

Those are the pros for each. The ONLY cons I can think of for the Elitist are the rosewood v. ebony fretboard, and the poly v. nitrocellulose lacquer. Cons for the Studio... PLASTIC nut (they say "molded" lol...), no binding, weight relieved (COME ON!! Thats only on the '07's and newer), +$200 in price, green key tuners (look nice - but don't function as well as the Gotohs) - also, I'm gonna guess that the neck inlays are plastic since they don't say in the data sheet.

NOW, if you haven't played an Elitist - not only are you missing out, but you can't possibly understand just how great they are! I had a great mid-90's Studio growing up (Alpine White - I intend to get another one thats about the same age when I come across one). I planned on getting a new one - and went to my local shop. I played a lot of guitars that day (all Les Pauls, of course!) - to include several Studios and several Elitists. HANDS DOWN, the Elitist was the winner in my book. Playability, sound, aesthetics, etc. Again, I wish it had an Ebony fretboard and Nitro finish - but the rest of the pros far outweighed the Studio's cons. I don't want to come across as saying that the Studio isn't a great guitar, because it is - but you're not getting as much guitar for the money as you are with the Elitist (and IMO, and in the opinion of my Gibson dealer, the Elitist is a considerably better overall guitar than the Studio..). I hardly see an argument there. You're paying for the headstock, and the fact that its made right here in the USA whereas the Elitist is made in the Fuji-gen custom shop in Japan. I love a good debate - and look forward to hearing any opinions that vary from mine - but I have a feeling that this one is sealed. Case closed. :)

17. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

(oh - one more quick pro for the Studio - I like the handle better on the case - the Elitist hard case still has a leather wrapped handle, but doesn't have a full leather handle. The Elitist case doesn't have a shroud either, I'm not sure if the Studio case still does or not)

18. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Why not a used Elitist Custom for $500, made in '05 or so? :)

There's another pro for the Studio - the resale value will be better. If you plan on selling it! I don't plan on letting mine go, but if you're someone who just wants to play a guitar for a while and flip it - always go Gibson...

Now that my "rant" is turned off - I will say that while the Elitist kills the low end Gibsons, that I have every intention of getting my hands on a Custom Shop LP Custom from Gibson (if I can find one that is finished well! My shop has sent 2 A. White Customs back for cosmetic problems - glaring I might add - and the white one that they have on the wall now still has a couple orange peel spots, but not nearly as bad...). I'd also like to get a nice tobacco burst Standard someday as well. And, no doubt, the Nitrocellulose lacquer ages sooo beautifully - which leans in favor of the Studio. ;) Gibson takes the cake with their "high end" stuff - and if I had the funds, I would have most definitely dropped $2-4k on one - but when it comes to wanting a high end guitar on a budget, you've gotta give the Elitist its credit, because it sure has earned it...

19. im_b0r3d_

If thats the case I'll NEED to try one out!! :)
    Although you make it sound like the elitist both sounds better, and is made with more expensive materials. Would that be because Japanese factory's have much cheaper labor? I know Japanese Factory's make high quality instruments. :hippie:

20. im_b0r3d_

Oh and to what you said, I'm not interested in arguing, especially when I havn't tried the elitist! :hippie::hippie: *Although I tried it against classics and standards, and was proud of it*