Buy a low end Gibson or high end Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Rock Star, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Rock Star

Rock Star Premium Member

Let's say you had to pick a low end Gibson Studio Vintage Mahogany for $700 or a high end Epiphone Black Beauty also for $700.

Which one would you pick and why? :shock:

2. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

That's a tough one.

I did make that choice at one time. I went with the Black Beauty.

But I got an extremely good deal on it cause it was a "blem" from musician's friend.

It's pretty sweet!!

I really, really like the Gibson Vintage Mahogany though. I want one!

3. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

I would play both and see which one speaks to me... and go with that one.

4. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

best advise anyone can gicve!!! rock on bros!!!

5. Snakebite Music

Snakebite Music Member

Always go with the Gibson.

It will also retain most of it's value whenever you wanted to upgrade. No doubt you can get most of your money if you sell. Consider yourself lucky if you can sellt he Epi Custom for more than $400.

6. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

well thats a tough one there i dont have enough to make that one but i love epis and the one proplem as said above in a gibby you will more thamn likely get ur mony back its like haveing mony that u can play with and sell later:thumb: tough choice there man :shock:

7. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

I'd definitely disagree with this. If you buy a guitar just thinking about its resell value and not its playability then why even bother going down to test or try the guitars. Everyone, just go online and save yourself the hassle.

:slap:

8. KristianJ

KristianJ Member

At those prices (and assuming that I'd played both in a store, equally liking them) I'd go the Gibson - as much as the plainer look may be less pleasing (and I do prefer the look of binding on LPs as IMO it adds to the definition of the body shape), the electronics are sure to have the edge.

9. Marshal

Marshal Member

I'd have to play them and decide but at face value I'd go with the Gibson. Although the would be little difference between the quality of the 2 the Gibson is A Gibson!

10. WBPickups

WBPickups Guest

I would go with which ever feels the best for you in playability. I know the senses is that a Gibson is the flagship and Epi's are the black sheep cousin. But I would definitely go with which one is the most confortable to play. With the dollar amounts you are talking about. Resale value should not be an option. Bottom line, it's how they play & feel. If you are going to worry about resale. Save your money and get a something that would be considered an investment. For your information, I have an 10 year Epiphone Custom in our shop that has been played & played and other than some fret ware. Still keeps on rocking... So they are not that bad guitars at all.

11. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

I would go with the one that's best for playability and sound. If it's the Epiphone, then so be it.

I also disagree with the advice about always going with a Gibson for it's resale value, if you intend using the guitar for what it is intended for.

I never think about reselling when I am about to buy something. I just consider whether the thing I am buying is best for what I want it for.

Play both, if you can, and choose which you like

12. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

+1 to Jhon, if your planning on making an invetment like that, just do your homework, and get a keeper, and keep her. I used to throw my money away on cheap crap axes back in the day, go through as many as 10 per year, and finally had enough it, trading crap for crap just got me more crap, and all that money spent on crap could have easily bought me what I really wanted, but wouldnt save up for. Personally I'd go with gibson, its not as pretty, but if it were me, and i had the epi, the first thing I would do is yank ALL the electronics, replace them with gibson electronics, and a set of BB pros, all of which comes standard on the gibson at no extra charge. The mahogany actually looks nice as is, change out the plastic for cream, ditch the PG, and throw on some amber top hats, and it looks really hot, like a wine red standard without the binding.

13. MIDNIGHT

MIDNIGHT V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

im gonna have to agree with just playing both and find which one feels right.. :D

:hippie:

14. lp junior freak

lp junior freak V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

it all comes down to preferance i think everyone would agree:thumb:

15. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Definitely the one that feels right to you - but between the two... I'd probably take the Gibson - electronics are definitely superior. Although - the new Gibson LP's are real light weight - and I hate that. That being said, I went w/ an Epi Elitist LP Custom when I could have gotten a Gibson Studio, or Studio Faded, or BFG, or a number of other Gibsons for the same price or Less. The Epi Elitist, to me, was a much better playing and sounding guitar than the low end Gibbys, fit and finish, as well as materials top notch - and a big step up from my Epi LP Custom. At least give them a look if you're gonna spend around $1k.

16. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Epi makes some killer guitars. As a company, they've been around longer than Gibson, and some die hard players use them.

Hell, Sir Paul's acoustic guitar with the Red Wings sticker is an Epiphone... it don't get much more famous than that!

I love the tone of those Vintage Mahogany's though... and the look. But I also agree with the post above about binding on guitars.... I love it.

Good luck my friend! It is a head scratcher. Personally I'd probably try to find a used Gibson Explorer or SG in that price range... or an Alpine White *or Wine Red* Studio thats a few years old, has the hard shell case and is already worked in!

Just a note on my own recent personal experience... I found a killer deal in a pawn shop, bought a 50th Anniversary Strat for 300 bucks, in mint condition, traded it up for something better, and then traded up again, and then 1 more time.

Came out of it with an Ebony Les Paul Standard. Today I threw a Classic 57 in the bridge and an APH-1 in the neck, did a full cleaning and setup, and this guitar is one of the best sounding/playing Gibsons I've ever owned.

Total cost? $300 plus 7 bucks for some pure nickel Fender Bullets. It sounds so good, I can't even describe it. I'll try to get a recording from our show tomorrow night.

17. Gigan

Gigan Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tough choice :(

18. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

19. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

Oh yeah....... pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

The only feature on the Epiphone Customs that bothers me is the Ebony. Customs need ebony!

Other than that, and the weight differences, the Epiphone Customs are the same as their 'bigger' brothers. I actually find that Epi neck profile very comfortable to play.