Busting Tone Control Capacitor Myths!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Bytor1958, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

as a test, you should get another guitarist to try it. Tell them it sounds a bit trebley/harsh/brittle and watch as they turn down the tone control to fix it, but not realise it is not making any difference. :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  2. Anderton

Anderton Junior Member

Wow, thanks (I think) but you're giving me waaay too much credit. I wrote that pretty quickly...for example, the statement "All capacitors with the same value are the same" wasn't written with the intention of being deliberately obscure so people could read what they wanted into it. If I'd done another edit I might have thought to add "all the same stated value are the same," which is what I wanted to convey.

The fact that a thread like this can go on for all these pages gives a truer indication of what's involved in describing ALL the pros and cons of this topic. I did my best to convey true statements, and some nuances, in under 600 words.

But as a matter of personal preference, I try to stay away from personal opinions and stick to statements that are verifiably true. At the end it was made pretty clear (I think) that Gibson wasn't choosing Orange Drops because the company attributes mystical qualities to them, or are trying to put something over on customers who have some belief system that believes Orange Drop capacitors will make them sound like sunshine on a warm spring day. Being able to count on capacitors to be the value they claim to be and constructed in such a way that they won't screw up is an unexciting reason, but it's an important one to a manufacturer. Now, if there WAS a capacitor that could make guitars sound like sunshine on a warm spring day...I'm sure Gibson would find that well worth pursuing.

3 people like this.
  3. David Collins

David Collins Senior Member

For the record Craig, I did mean that as an honest nod and compliment. Whether carefully strategized or written plainly as you saw it, you demonstrate an admirable knack for sticking to substantive points which can be well received by most anyone, while stopping short of getting yourself tangled in disputable minutia which can disenfranchise readers of one vein or another.

If it sounded at all as though I may have been insinuating strategies of sneakiness or gross vagary in your writing, rest assured these were not my feelings. I could do well to work toward similar brevity and focus in my own communications, and better avoid ensnaring myself in discussions which have little chance of any resolution.

4. Armitage

Armitage Senior Member

I always liked the Duncan Techs response to the question of if different types of caps sounded different in a guitar, "If they did, we'd sell'm!"
    Notice also that DiMarzio doesn't seem to sell them, even as replacement parts.

5. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

6. skydog

skydog Senior Member

From your site:
    These guys are the real deal from the 60's.
    We got our hands on em now you can get them too!
    If you are after the “Holy Grail” Les Paul sound from
    the 50's then you need paper in oil capacitors.
    The Sprague Vitamin Q is new old stock and is
    as real as it gets. For that warm paper in oil cap
    the Sprague Vitamin Q is it! You can purchase them
    as an upgrade to your wiring harness or you
    can buy them separately!

1 person likes this.
  7. korus

korus Senior Member

Actually, the title of the thread is correct : ..... MythS, 'cause there are at least 2.

Myth #1

If proven by graphs, demos, blind tests that there is no difference based on material caps are made of, those who (believe to) hear the difference in material, will accept the facts and stop believing/hearing it.

Myth #2

If opposed/ridiculed enough by mere 'perception'/opinion/uncontrolled environment variables, those who know there is no difference based on material caps are made of, they will give up in proving there's no difference and accept - there is.

It might look bad - cause these can not be busted, it's by design of both these 2 myths and human mind. But it actually is not bad at all - they do not need to be busted at all, it's as simple as that. Why? Because 'the color of the hat' is irrelevant. Let's go get gold. And what 'our gold' is?

There is no difference in tone for the 2 tone caps made of different material. BUT, the fact stated in previous sentence is utterly obsolete as there is no way on Earth it can make/motivate a single player make a better tone/music once he/she know it/accepts it. OTOH no matter how 'personal' the impression/belief in some special tone caps' contribution to the tone is - it might/can/ and even if rarely I am positive in some cases - it will/does contribute to player's confidence and finally performance. Funny, ain't it? And guitars - with or without tone capacitors - are musical instruments, intended to - make music.

Now we all should post here some clips with some nice guitar playing of ours, that I hope will not be demos for various 'capacitors claims'. It might make the time and effort already spent here just a little bit meaningful, for all involved.

8. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Been watching your videos today, they're quite informative and well thought out. It's nice being able to hear a direct comparison between things like modern and 50s wiring. For anybody watching these I highly suggest getting out a good pair of headphones and a quality DAC. The biggest problem with youtube audio is often the computer it's coming out of.

9. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Not to mention a nice play on the "Holy Grail" reference as it pertains to guitar electronics.