Burtbucker Pro to '57 Classic conversion question + quick connect question

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by mesaray, Nov 9, 2017.

1. mesaray

mesaray Member

Hi everyone,

I just have one quick\simple question and I wanted to run it by the gurus before I took action.

I've got a 2016 Standard with 5 pin quick connect Burstbucker Pro's in it. I'm looking to swap out the BB Pros and get back into a set of '57 Classics. The BB Pros in my standard are coil splittable via push/pulls on the volume pots and I also have the in/out phase option as well via a push/pull on my neck tone pot. My question is this: If I grab a set of 5 pin - quick connect 57 Classics, will I lose any of my existing functionality? ie. the coil splitting and the ability to go in/out of phase. The '57 Classics that I'm looking at are 4 lead/5 pin, so wiring wise, they should be an exact match with my existing setup.

Extra credit question: I have one older '57 Classic but it is a 2 lead traditionally wired pickup and I haven't really been able to find a straight answer as to whether I could convert it to the quick connect system. I've seen the guys on ebay and reverb selling the kits with wiring and clips to do the conversion for other brands of 4 lead pickups but I'm not finding anything for converting a simple 2 lead pickup up to 5 pin quick connect. Am I just dreaming on this one or is there a way?

As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The braided lead would require a complete re-jig of the pickup internally to make it 5-wire. Not for the novice.

Are you set on 57 Classics?? I quite frankly picked up a GFS alnico 2 set that was like the 57 but didn't possess the muffled lows nor biting highs the 57 has.....an all round better pickup you can buy for fractions of the cost.

3. mesaray

mesaray Member

Ok I figured the conversion was above my pay grade. And yeah, I'm fairly set on the 57 Classics. Thanks for the reply!

4. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I believe that the Standard has the PCB harness for the 5 pin plug.

If your quick connect for the 57's has more than two wires (a green and black for the two wire I believe) attached I think that it is a good assumption that your push/pull features will work with the 57's.

FOR EXTRA CREDIT:
    If I want to use a 4 wire pickup with coil splits on a standard two wire harness I simply connect two of the 4 pickup wires together and solder as usual. If you want to use a 2 wire pickup on a 5 pin connector, you probably have to hardwire two of the pins together. Just a guess, but I see you're not going that route now.

5. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

As the others said, yes on the quicks, nope on the conversion surgery.

Provided Gibson respected their own color coding, you should have no problem installing a new set of 5-pin-connector equipped 57s. I've done it (love the 57s), no problems, it's intended to be easy and it actually is. I have seen the odd variant here and there on the PCBs, Gibson loves to be inconsistent, but on the connector/wiring side of things, they seem to be consistent throughout, so swapping Gibson pickup for another Gibson pickup should be okay.

As for the surgery, you're better off getting a factory 5-wire set used and doing something else with that pickup. I've done the surgery, it can be done, but one bad move and you kill the pickup, so it's really gotta be worth it. Ironically, I did it for the first time with a pickup that is unmarked, irreplaceable, quite unique and from a guitar which was made briefly, decades ago and is hard to come by, which was also my first guitar, so add some huge sentimental value to it.

Sounds awesome split, though.

yamariv likes this.
  6. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Ok, so this just happens to be something I have experience doing with my Standard....

First off, yes you can take a normal 57's with 2 lead and convert it to 5 wire so you can have all your out of phase and coil splitting options from your Standard. I ended up getting a set of Slash 2 Wire SD Pups (which sound amazing BTW..) and had them modded to 4 wire by a local pickup maker for $20 bucks each. I then ordered some Ebay 5 pin connectors wired to SD color codes, soldered those on to the new pickups and Bob's your Uncle. Plugged in the SD pups into my PCB board and had all the coil split and phase functions as normal. :dude:

Just beware that Gibson and their PCB's don't always follow the same wiring codes year to year (so I've heard). If you are gonna bother to get your 57's rewired with 4 wire, ask your local pickup maker to check and mark which wire is which exactly ie: coil start, end etc....

I recently ended up pulling out the PCB board and rewiring it all 50's style and am super happy with the sound. Even though it's 50's wiring, I still did push pull coil splits on it and am super happy I had the Slash Pups rewired to 4 wire.

Good Luck!