Burstbuckers..my evaluation and tips...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by ArchEtech, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ArchEtech

ArchEtech V.I.P. Member

BURSTBUCKER PRO:

Tons of output. Very bright. They actually overdrive my Valvetronix amp at its highest gain settings.

They are VERY sensitive to volume and tone knobs. You can really change the sound significantly. Even more so than the 57 classics and 498 in my SG. At half volume they have the warmth of my SG's neck pickup, and full volume way more harmonics and sustain almost too much.

Pinch harmonics are HUGE in both bridge and neck positions. The neck has more pinch harmonic sustain than anything I've ever used, even more than EMGs just not as quiet. They are however, much quieter than the pickups in my other gibsons. Particularly if you turn down the volume just slightly - hum goes away, without any noticable loss of sound.

They are VERY VERY sensitive to distance from the strings. I'm still playing with this. But it effects tone significantly, not just volume. They sound warmer to me farther away, tons more bitty up close.

This may all be elementary to all of you, but I've only become interested and skilled enough in the last 6 months to notice such things!

2. overdriver

overdriver Banned

Glad you like them nice looking Epi as well I think dcoopper830 just got one of those trans black guys also.:thumb: I would like to see one such as yours with cream P-90s IMO it would be sweet as well.

3. thomaso

thomaso Junior Member

I really dig the BB alnico 1 neck and alnico 2 bridge. I tried some pickups ( Bareknuckles VH2 and Steve Stevens, WB 67/07, AERO, Q-tuner, Gibson 498 and 57/57+) They still are my favorites, pinch harmonics have no equal and really jump out, but they always have a good warmth.
    I have the impression that only the bb do my Class 5 justice. The others are great, but have no this " magic".
    It's only after several tests that i arrived to this conclusion.
    Just my opinion.

4. ArchEtech

ArchEtech V.I.P. Member

It ain't an epi~!~!

I agree that the soft cream accents look good!

I'm actually putting a pickguard on it from the seller on this forum that mkes the type you don't have to drill into the body to install.

I think cream Bill Lawrence with the chrome ring would look fantasic in it but I like the BB's

5. HolyGrail

HolyGrail V.I.P. Member

I find the same with Burst Buckers. Drop both pickups 1/16" to 1/8" ( Just a starting point ) below Ring hight on a reissue and they sweeten up. :naughty:

6. overdriver

overdriver Banned

opps sorry about that must have had Epi on the brain:eek2:

7. terence_tez

terence_tez V.I.P. Member

i love them!!!

8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I've played quite a few Burstbuckers and for the most part, I think they are a pretty decent pickup.

9. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I put a BB 3 in the rear of my Orville LP, with a Classic 57 in the neck by suggestion of my local Gibson dealer buddy Jerry, lowered like Holy explained, sounds great

10. ArchEtech

ArchEtech V.I.P. Member

I moved both pickups to just slightly below the ring. The neck is very warm and about as choppy as my SG in the neck but with more harmonics. The bridge has a very tight metal sound at hight, or bright Dick Dale sound with some reverb set heavy. There is a tiny loss of harmonics with the bridge so low, but it allows me to run full volume without overdriving the signal to the amp.

11. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

I bought a LPVM several weeks ago and I'd like opinions concerning the Burstbuckers in regards to playing clean with little to no overdrive or distortion. I don't have a valve amp but I'd be curious to hear thoughts on how they sound with a combo valve amp playing clean... Thanks, Gibsonblues... :)