Burstbucker Pros vs Burstbucker #1 & #2

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by dkbarnwell, Oct 3, 2011.

1. dkbarnwell

dkbarnwell Senior Member

Hey Folks,

What's the difference between these sets of pups?

Thanks in advance,
    Derek

2. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

I can tell you that with the BB Pros many, including myself experience way too much mud in the neck.

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  3. Luckynumber3

Luckynumber3 Senior Member

From what I know, burstbucker 1 and 2 are a set where 1 should be the neck pickups and 2 at the bridge (or 2 at the neck and a 3 at the bridge). Basically 2 is a little higher output than a burstbucker 1 because its the bridge pup version.

Also, if I am correct, the 1 and 2 have alnico 2 magnets while the burstbucker pro is hotter than the 1 and 2 and has an alnico 5 magnet- I could be wrong however.

4. colchar

colchar Banned

On some models, such as the Don Felder Hotel California 1959 Les Paul, Gibson has the BB 1 in the bridge and the BB 2 in the neck.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...der-Hotel-California-1959-Les-Paul/Specs.aspx

5. Street-Survivor

Street-Survivor Senior Member

Also, BB Pros are wax potted, whereas BB 1 and 2 (as well as 3) are not.

6. Lipinhu

Lipinhu Senior Member

I had BBpros in my Studio Faded, I dindt like them, so I swaped. The BBp in the bridge is too bright and punchy, very low dinamics. I couldnt use pick dinamics when in distortion because it works like on/off. The BBp in the neck is very bluesy, not the best but decent. Like someone said is muddy, agreed, but it could make some things really good.
    I changed the caps first, and it gave me a lot more flexibility over the stock setup, they behave a little better.

I changed for SD AlnicoII Pro Slash and still not happy. I'll try the JB/59 setup.

I dont have any experience with BB1 or BB2, but my BB3 in my traditional is AWSOME. The BB1 and BB2 may have a little less output.

7. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

Switch the mag to an alnico 2 in burstbucker pros and it makes a great improvement

8. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I put BB 1&2 in my studio and replaced the pots (CTS 500k audio taper) and caps (MOD oil .022uf @ 600v caps) and couldn't be happier. I replaced the pups first then the pots and caps. In retrospect, I would have swapped the pots and caps first to see if I like the 498T and 490R any better, then switched the pups.

When I first put the BBs in, it sounded like someone threw a blanket over the amp. After switching the pots and caps, it sounded much, much better.

9. colchar

colchar Banned

They are waxed if they come stock. The ones sold separately are not wax potted.

10. colchar

colchar Banned

Is it better to change the pots, the caps, or both?

lespaul01 likes this.
  11. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

i would say the caps.. but i don;t know much about that

12. colchar

colchar Banned

Hmmm, because I mentioned those to a tech the other day and he brought out his secret stash of pots. Maybe he meant in addition to the caps the posts should be changed and I just missed his inference.

13. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Like I said I don;t know much.. But I sure know that I could care a less at the moment about my pots, but I really want to put in the 1959 Vintage Caps.. Just dying to hear them..

14. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

The stock pots are probably around 300k, the pots in my 06 standard were. Change them to CTS 500k pots & you will open up a whole world of tone, the paper/oil caps made a difference in mine also along with 50's wiring. I took out my BBpro's (too harsh & bright) & replaced them with Dimarzio virtual paf neck & virtual hot paf bridge. I like the regular BB's but they tend to squeal with high gain for me. My R8 has Pearly Gates which sound phenomenal.

15. Josh9114

Josh9114 Member

Hey, I am getting an epiphone les paul black beauty and I want to get the stock pick ups replaced with some burstbuckers (pros, or regulars) or something like that thats 4 conductor wiring so I can have it set up to do coil splitting. Now I was thinking about getting the burstbucker pros before I read the threads on this site and now I am not so sure. So I guess I am asking which burstbuckers would work best with the epi les paul black beauty? and I am wanting to get a '70s stones and led zeppelin type sound and a real blues type sound if its possible to get all that in one guitar. Thank you.

16. JMB1984

JMB1984 Premium Member

BBPros are higher output being Alnico 5 magnets. They are more modern sounding and more suited for modern styles of music. They require a lot of taming (rolling the volume and tone) so they are more ideal for tone tweakers than those that play on 10 all the time. They play better with tube amps because of this.

BB1 & BB2 Combo are more vintage sounding Alnico 2 magnets. Not really suited for metal, but great for other types of rock, blues etc... These are Gibson's top of the line PAF style pickups used in the reissue/historic guitars. Also great with tube amps to get more range. I personally like the cleans on these better.

17. bdubbs

bdubbs Senior Member

I have BB 1/2 combo that came in my traditional and I really like it. Def. more classic sounding than say the 498 in my studio. More mid and more grind.

18. drpietrzak

drpietrzak Senior Member

I have BB1 and 2 in a Epi 1960 V3. I had BB Pro's in a 05 LP Standard 50's neck. I moved them into a Carvin strat style (hardtail) solid mahogany guitar.

The BB1 and 2 are milder versions of the vintage PAF style pickups. They are airy and articulate without being ice pick. I do not play much high gain. In the low to mid gain range they are somewhat like the SD Seth Lover and Antiquity. Sweet and vintage. They are A2 mags I think. I like them. Others I like are the Seth Lovers, Antiquities, 57/57+ and 36th Ann.s.

The BB Pro is a higher output vintage style pickup that uses A5 mags. They have more of an SD 59 and C5 type vibe to me. They are bright and to my ears more ice pick. They work well with my JC2112RC amp and Tweeds (5e3 and Bassman LTD). I do not like them as well with my AC15C1 or brighter amps as tehy are a bit on the bright side for me already. I have kept them in the Carvin as it tends to be what I use with higher gain and I think they do that nicely. They have a different voice from my usual likeing (Seth Lovers, Antiquities, 36th Ann and 57/57+).

If I were to choose for me playing blues, classic rock and country styles (clean to mid gain) I would go with BB1 & 2. I really like the ones I have for what I do.

19. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally,for what and how I play,I hate the BB Pro: too powerful and they have something odd going on the hi-mids.
    Like the C57's for classic old school blues rock and prefer overall,the BB 1 & 2 for for where the C57's end.
    Very smooth,warm and ballsy pups.

20. colchar

colchar Banned

Mistaken post, ignore.