Burstbucker 2 and 3 Vs Alnico II Pro

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by HarryAndAGuitar, Jan 30, 2011.

1. HarryAndAGuitar

HarryAndAGuitar Senior Member

I'm looking at swapping the Burstbuckers out of my R8 to get that more ballsy rock sound.

I'm playing through a JCM800 and the pickups just seem to weak, muddy and trebly.

Would it be worth it swapping them out for the Alnico II Pros?

Thanks

Harry

2. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

i think its worth swapping them out for anything :laugh2:

they are either too "ice pick" or too "mud" cant wait to get mine out!

i think those pick up's your after will be great in a r8..

3. HarryAndAGuitar

Yeah haha, i'm contemplating between the regular alnico's and the slash alnico's.

I'm a big slash fan but i don't know if it's worth the extra price....

4. steeler80

steeler80 Senior Member

What exactly (and I know this has been covered before, but I can't find it at the moment) is the difference between the Slash model and the regular Alnico II Pros? I think I remember a little higher output. Are there other major differences that would justify forking out the extra $?

5. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

Go on Sduncans site. Description AND sound bites, which is nice...

6. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

Well, I like them. They have alnico 11 magnets in but uneven wiring gives them edge. Sounds perfect for what you want? I have an alnico 11pro, good on cleans but not so good with gain. I guess try the hot 460 500 ceramics then?

7. Tweety

Tweety Member

I've got some Slash ones and they have a rounder sound than my burstbuckers, and in my opinion will great for a rock tone. :dude:

8. HarryAndAGuitar

Do they sound alot better than the burstbuckers?

9. Tweety

Tweety Member

Better is so subjective, but from my experience some Burstbuckers in some Les Pauls can sound a bit ice picky and not so good with certain amps under distortion, and in these cases the Slash pups will be better suited.
    I think the Burstbuckers sound great clean with the volume backed off a little.
    I have a Gray Moore aged Les Paul and the Burstbuckers in that sound great to my ears with distortion, so it kind of depends on the wood of the guitar.
    The Slash pups are really good and you wont be disappointed, they sound great clean and distorted. If you're unhappy with Burstbuckers the Slash pups are a good choice.
    Sorry to be so vague, and I hope that helps.

10. HarryAndAGuitar

Yeah that helped alot thanks, i know what you mean about ice pick, i can't wait to get some alnico ii pros.

Is it worth getting the slash ones over the regular ones because the regular ones are a bunch cheaper....

11. Tweety

Tweety Member

I've not tried the regular ones but if you think your guitar is on the bright side I'd go with Slash ones as the bridge is a little hotter and it may help smooth out the top end.

12. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

Remember when bb's are talked about, they are often refer to bb pro's v which are a bit shrill. BB#1,#2,#3 ARE alnico ll......

I would really reccomend getting some poi caps (from Jonesy) first. The fake gibson bees you have do make the pups brighter. But if your a slash wannabe then only those are going to do it for you. If your in UK and want to sell yours, let me know.

13. HarryAndAGuitar

I'm not so much a slash wannabe, but there must be a difference between the burstbucker 2+3 vs Alnico II Pro in terms of sound.

Also how much would you pay for the set of burstbuckers?

14. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

I will PM you. Ok, I have alnico pro in one LP and BB# in other. The BB# are bitier/edgier. Alnico pro smoother and a bit softer. similarish to 57's.I prefer the AII pro in neck than bridge. Since you have spent a load on your R8(very nice) try picking up an A pro S/H off Ebay. See whats good in YOUR guitar, and re sell either the BB or pro. Will only cost you a few quid in post and listing fees. This is the only way to get what you want to hear.We all have different ideas of what's good.

15. Hi NRG

Hi NRG Junior Member

H&AG:

I own (or have owned) LP's with the BB Pro's, A2P's and the '57 Classics. In general I agree with guitarcase's asessment of them. I will just throw out there that the Slash A2P's are the bomb. I really liked the tone of the regular A2P's and thought that Slash was just getting his cut for the new version, hence the increased price for the same pup. Then I got talked into buying his new Epi Appetite LP. They are hotter with more bite and better IMO than the others. Worth a bit more $$$ to me at least.

Having said all that, the BB Pro's are my favorite pickups on the planet. However, the difference between them is like choosing between Jennifer Anniston and Jessica Alba...you can't go wrong either way.

16. Phatius

Phatius Member

Jessica Alba hands down...

17. guitarcase

guitarcase Senior Member

Yes. I was thinking of Jessica with her hands down.......

18. HarryAndAGuitar

Haha jessics is definatly hotter.

Anyways

Yeah i got the slash a2ps in now and they're everthing i wanted them to be.