Burny ID Help?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by aaronl, Nov 7, 2017.

1. aaronl

aaronl Senior Member

I was told it is a mid 80s RPC 60
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Pots date it to November 1988, headstock went to the lightning bolt style in 1989 so a 1988 RLC60 seems good.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. aaronl

aaronl Senior Member

But it is still Made in Japan? Also does it have the LPC-8000 pickups?

4. Troy McClure

Yes it's MIJ , not L800x's, around 1986 or 87 the pups were referred to as VH1's with the grey wire not the original and sought after VH1's. But they still may be the same spec as the L800x etc just renamed because of the good reputation of the original VH1's. There are quite a few threads around about the pups so you'd need the resistances to check . I've seen them named as VH2's also, have a check of the catalogues online to get the specs.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. aaronl

aaronl Senior Member

OK are they alnico? I looked at them but can't tell, they have a bar which is what I am used to alnico looking like but I don't know if ceramics are the same way.

They looked like this
    [​IMG]

6. Troy McClure

Not exactly sure but I do think the later VH1's were ceramic, I had an 89 Burny and pretty sure the pup magnets were ceramic, I didn't like them whatever they were. If you have a multimeter you can see if it conducts electricity as ceramic won't whereas metal will. Maybe try to rig up a little circuit with a battery if you don't have a multimeter. They're also lighter than metal is you want to compare with some you know are alnico, also ceramics are black wheras alnico will be more 'metal' coloured

7. aaronl

aaronl Senior Member

Yeah I don't know that I love them myself but there are SO many good PAF styles out there right now I may just replace them.
    The magnets were kind of dark I don't know that they were black.

Thank you so much for your time and replies!!

8. Troy McClure

No problem, I've got a 87 Burny RLC which is basically the same as your same pups etc and they sound much better than the 89 RLC I had, might just be luck of the draw. I'll check to see if they're ceramic as I have a multimeter.

You can even replace just the magents with alnicos if they bother you rather than buying new pups.

9. aaronl

aaronl Senior Member

I can take a picture of mine later and see if they look the same as yours.
    I had thought about just putting a new magnet in there also, that is why I was asking, I don't know enough to know if i can just take a ceramic magnet pickup out etc...

10. Troy McClure

Just looked at mine and the pup cover is still soldered so I'll leave it complete. Post a thread/pic in the tonefreaks section of the forum they'll soon be able to tell if it's ceramic or alnico and also talk you thru replacing the magnet if you want.

I've had three Burny's so far and bang for buck they're hard to beat. I've still two of them that I can't find reasons to part with them even though they don't get much play as I use my Yamaha as main guitar these days. I've been meaning to put the Steve Jones decals on the white one for years and the tobacco burst looks so much better in real life and is such a lightweight at under 9lbs it's hard to sell it.

aaronl likes this.