Bumblebee Caps ... Vintage / Repro's

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by BOBBO, Nov 24, 2007.

1. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

The signal in your guitar is less than 1V. It doesn't make any difference if they're 400V or 600V. It only makes a difference if they were operated at those high voltages for years before you use them.

2. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

I've got a nice copy of the 80s Guv'nor I don't need anymore. Sounds good, mojo, true bypass, etc... :slash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

the voltage on the tone caps only affects the physical size of the cap, the higher the voltage the bigger the cap, I'm sure they are using NOS or new good quality tone caps, those guys sell top quality products.

Hey cool pedal, you want to do a trade for a VL? I have one of the prototypes for bridge at about 8.35K, its a tad warmer maybe than the finals, has equal wound coils for warmth but still is a good biting tone. Is your pedal identical to the real circuit?

4. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

Hell yes! PM coming :laugh2:

It's a nice pedal. I'll even include an uber high quality Burr Brown OPA2134 chip for you to try. The op-amp is socketed so I send a few for you to listen to. Right now it has the stock TL072.

The pedal is the same as the original or better :cool: I may have made a couple of tweaks. The paint is acrylic though and has no clear coat, I don't spray paint and just painted it by hand. It will chip if you scratch it. I can take the paint off if you just want sanded aluminum but I don't spray clear. I like it as is...

5. Dave Stephens

Sent you a PM, yeah lets do it, you can leave as is, or whatever, I do like plain aluminum too. Email me from my site and we'll continue discussion there....

6. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

Did you get my email?

7. Dave Stephens

No, I didn't get it!

8. scott duncan

scott duncan Member

I got lucky and found a local luthier to work on my guitars. He put these vintage GOOD-ALL caps in my Epi Gold Top.
    [​IMG]
    they were out of an old organ that his apprentice tore apart! Inside was a treasure trove of these old caps. Unfortunately the guy is hoarding them to put into the custom guitars he builds. They give a beautiful waaaah sustain, to the point that I don't even have to use any reverb on my amp! Also I was on EBAY today looking at Gibson guitar auctions and there was a listing for 13 vintage Luxe caps that some guy pulled out of an old radio. they were still on the original PC board!

9. FF_Pedals

FF_Pedals Senior Member

Score! I just got a set of 2 x 0.015uF. I will definitely try them now! Same story, organ caps :cool:

Thanks for the report.

10. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

old organs are a great place to score some caps.

a few years ago my mother was moving from her house into a small apartment, her old '66 Baldwin organ had to go. If those old organs don't say 'Hammond' on them, no one wants them. They are destined for the dump.

So I pulled all the old caps, pulled the tubes, and a batch of old cloth covered wire. I don't think there were any Bees in there. but there were a ton of Gooldalls, Sangamos and Tropicaps. A friend that helped me was happy, in the bench were a few NOS tubes, the one he wanted was an EL84 Mulland. Nice find. Most of the old 12AX7s test fine, and work great. I'm using them in both my Marshalls.

11. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

12. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

13. essguitarman

essguitarman Senior Member

Anyone try out those Bumblebee-sound-a-likes from singlecoil.com yet? I'm really curious to find out how they sound.

14. essguitarman

essguitarman Senior Member

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Senior Member

Dude, don't part out a perfectly good organ just for some caps! The Luxe bees are close enough :thumb:

16. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I agree. There are lots of junk organs you can raid the caps out of, please don't trash a Hammond.

17. Electric Bison

Electric Bison Senior Member

So I guess Tone isn't really the issue... :hmm: Would you buy French?

I like the russian PIOs, dont know about the Luxe' BumbleBees copies thou'. But if they managed to build Sputnik and send it in space I guess they can manufacture pretty kick ass Caps for guitar tone...:thumb:

18. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Hey, OP....how can I contact you to buy some caps?

19. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

Megans List?..:shock:

20. Electric Bison

Electric Bison Senior Member

Yeah from what I've heard those Luxe bees are way better than the ones Gibson stuffs inside their reissues. Maybe what annoys some people with the Luxe' is the fact that they cover their caps to look like original bees even thou' they say right on the box that they're Russian PIOs inside. But at least you know what you get...
    I would rather get annoyed at Gibson for tricking their high-paying customers with shitty caps.:hmm: