Bumble Bee Capacitors & The 59' Myth

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jonesy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

those look cool :naughty:

2. ToneQuest75

ToneQuest75 Member

Yes, I am using Bumblebees (Sprague original, not the slightly different sounding Luxe ones), and they are my favourite ones that I have tried. They really add some magic or elusive 'mojo'. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that changing caps affects the tone. My ears do not lie. So to all the sceptics and doubters who don't believe changing caps changes the tone: you are wrong :thumb:

3. tubemania

tubemania Junior Member

4. Reckless_Life

Reckless_Life Member

When people change their caps, they usually change out old ones with new ones.
    At times, I think that people hear the difference between old and new caps, rather than whatever brand of bumblebee cap they use.
    I always thought the cap value mattered, and not the type or brand, at least when applied for guitar tone.

5. zakk_attack

zakk_attack Senior Member

Big UP :thumb:
    I have a very bright amp, a '85 Marshall JCM800 Lead 50w.

Could a 0.047µF cap (PIO russian, K42Y-2 to be specific, on my R8 with Burstbuckers) be a right choice, in order to get a slightly less sharp tone?

Actually, it mounts 0.022 µF PIO caps, and on the bridge position I have to turn the tone down to 3 or 4.

My 2007 Classic '70 Stratocaster, with a Tropical Fish, is a real edge.

6. Zentar

Zentar Senior Member

I did a cap test myself. I took out the .047uf and soldered in a .440uf just to hear if there was a difference. Wow! Big difference. Not all good though. It filtered away some tone I liked while adding to the slappy/spanky Tele sound I do like. I went back to .047uf but at least I heard the difference cap values can make.

I have tried orange drops, ceramics, pio etc of the same value but never noticed a tone difference. I think the Bumble Bee. Russion pio thing may be a scam. I got to try Russian caviar one time too. It tasted salty just like American caviar. I'm still studying this so don't flame me.