Building Les Paul style guitar without neck angle

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dankma, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Dankma

Dankma Junior Member

Hey Folks, new member to the forum here. So i'm in the process of building a Les Paul style guitar for a customer but i have a few concerns which is that I want to avoid using the neck angle approach and instead going for a straight angle, the main issue is that the guy wants a top loading string bridge option (He absolutely wants to avoid through body stringing) and the only option i could find is a traditional fender style hard tail bridge, but of course that's the last thing i wanna do, it'd look terrible IMO.

So we are thinking about using a wraparound bridge, but the thing is that that's too high for a non angled neck, and i don't want to have a high fretboard in relation to the body neither, so what can you guys suggest in this case? is there any low profile wraparound bridge? Should i stop being a p*&@sy and make an angled neck instead? the other thing is that he wants a 25" scale like PRS (Actually the desing is leaning towards a PRS Single cut type guitar). My design process is stuck right know.

Thankyou so much for your help

2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Junior Member

Recessed bridge?

[​IMG]

But since you're building from scratch anyway... It's not that more difficult to route the neckpocket under an angle as it is to route it straight.

Who likes this.
  3. Dankma

Dankma Junior Member

This is an amazing option, I thought about recessing the bridge but I wasn't sure about how much of a brake angle I'll be able to get, and I don't know if recessing a wraparound will give you space to pass the strings through.

4. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Junior Member

You can get it fairly low. Pair that with a neck that protrudes a bit higher over the top of the body, and it'll work out perfectly. Rickenbacker uses that. Flat top, (virtually) flat neck-angle, neck considerably above the top. Standard bridge.

5. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

I didn't recess the whole Bridge but did recess the posts and knurled nuts on an L 6s where I had to replace a crumbled harmonica Bridge. I can't remember exactly but I think I went with the Nashville. I remember I had to plug the holes for the harmonica and reset new holes for the Nashville adjusters and studs. The bridge covered the slight blemish of the plug holes. All in all it came out pretty good. Made for really good player..... If you have small hands.

6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

You don’t have a lot of options. If you do not want a neck angle or a high fret board you must recess the bridge. Or you could completely redesign the top to completely step down or slope to the bridge.

Regards Peter.

7. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Does your client want a slab body like a junior or a craved top? A flat top is much easier to have no neck angle but you will still either have to recess the bridge or raise the neck out of the pocket a bit.
    I dont see this as being a viable option for a carved top lp, at least not without really raising the neck up to archtop heights.
    One question is why the need for no neck angle? Customer preference?
    The only advatage to a guitar with no neck angle to me is you can lay it flat on its back, if it also has no headstock angle a la fender necks.
    But an lp with a traditional headstock angle still cant be laid flat on its back even with no neck angle.

8. Dankma

Dankma Junior Member

He wants a carved top. I think i have no choice other than doing the angle, it's my fisrt time building a les paul style guitar, only fear is stopping me from doing it lol

9. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

My recent 22 Special build may have the kind of thing you need. Its not an an LP, but its a single-cut with a fully carved top, but a notably lower neck angle than an LP, the bridge is lower and pickups not poking up nearly as high as on an LP.

The link in my sig (22 special "Blue) is the one I'm referring to.

10. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

I really think you should go with the angled neck unless it was a customer request not to have one for some reason. There are a lot of options on how to execute the neck angle with a router, none of which are terribly complicated. If you look at a lot of the Les Paul builds on this forum you should get a number of ideas on how to do it easily with little more than a partial sheet of MDF or plywood.

11. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

The neck angle on this build I'm referring to is only 3 degrees. I believe the angle on an LP neck is about 4.4 degrees. Neck plane and pickup plane are the same (3 deg), and the bridge and strings are closer to the body than on an LP.

I dont see how you can get a nice carved top with zero neck angle without doing some real funky shit with the fretboard being really high and the bridge being buried in the top

12. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

how do they do a carve top tele?. i know the hardware is different, but this got me to wondering.

13. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^Neck sits proud of the top

14. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

even more than it normally does?

15. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Recess this:

[​IMG]

16. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Top-wrapping is a popular option for the opposite problem:

[​IMG]

What about doing the opposite, and "bottom-wrapping"? I've never seen it, but it would look like this (though this is ugly):

[​IMG]

17. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Rickenbacker was mentioned... They do this which would solve everything for your break angle...

Even if you don't use the trapeze tailpiece the dishing out of the top would get you a deeper angle..
    [​IMG]

18. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ He wants a flush fretboard to the body as much as possible

19. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Gonna be tough to string that if it's recessed very much...

Who likes this.
  20. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Whatever those string anchors are, they string from the top of the guitar -- they'd be a good option -- that whole setup would.