Build Your Own Les Paul

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by HeartString, Feb 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bpet2015

bpet2015 Junior Member

I just mentioned this in a different thread, "I can''t help but think of Carvin / Kiesel guitars business model. They appear to be doing very well. Slow and steady. I had a Carvin in the early 2000s, great guitar. If Gibson went to that sort of format, with some customization and ordering options, no middle man, I think it would be a huge sucess."

HeartString likes this.
  2. BACzero

BACzero Senior Member

Just for the record... I love... LOVE my PRS, and it's just a lowly SE model. It feels great, plays well, stays in tune better than most, and it's one of the cleanest, clearest sounding guitars I have ever owned. You can hear every note in a chord, even when you're playing dirty, AND... it was only around $900 new. Don't care what anyone says... I would buy another SE in a heartbeat. That thing has proven itself, over and over again. :thumbs:

se.jpg

HeartString, Roberteaux and Malikon like this.
  3. gball

gball Senior Member

In answer to the original question:
    • Special
    • Studio
    • Deluxe
    • Standard
    • Custom
    That's it. No need to dredge up the past and have R-somethings in my mind. Just a solid, simple, modern lineup of the basics would work for me.

bhmcintosh and HeartString like this.
  4. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Easy.
    Build a 1959 (58/60 optional) Les Paul Standard (Sunburst) using the original (quite inexpensive) materials, to the original shape (within allowed variation) and with the original dyes and lacquers and pickup winding then send it out in a recreation of the original case and make sure that it is WELL CONSTRUCTED. Sell it for the same price is in 1959 (adjusted for inflation) and there's your business.

5. Deadletteroffice

Deadletteroffice Senior Member

For me the first wrong turn was changing the Standard Les Paul into the tinkering model.

The first thing I would do would be return the Standard Les Paul back into the great guitar it once was. Available with a '59 or '60 neck, and classic bursts can rotate year to year. Black and Gold can rotate in and out. Price it around $2499.

I would still offer a modernized Les Paul model, but it would not be the Standard.

Beyond that I'd go with the Special's like they had in the 90's, with the binding and P90's. The Classic's like they had in the 90's. The Custom but bring the neck down to a playable girth.

Lastly I'd roll out the "Henry's Dead" model made from reclaimed wood from his desk. It would incorporate all of the ridiculous ideas from his era into one guitar. Altered Les Paul Logo, Robotuners, Brass Zero Nut, Hologram, Fake wood fretboard, some terrible paint job, Chambered body, PCB wiring harness, push pull pot on every knob...I'd call a press conference, take a piss on it, pour gasoline on it, flick a match at it and watch it burn.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

For a Les Paul product line, Junior, Studio, Standard, Custom, and Historic/signature (last by order only).

Then I'd hire @Barnaby to oversee the factory floor.

As for how I'd spec mine out, base it on a 61 SG/LP but with a 50s neck, 2-pup, Custom attire, a 490R in the neck and a T-top in the bridge.

HeartString likes this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Meh, you'd only get eight or nine hundred guitars out of that.

8. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

If I was in the market for new this is what I'd want. I'm sure many others would as well. No limited edition numbered BS. Flood the planet with them. I'd prefer a Plain Jane case that does not scream "STEAL ME!".

HeartString and Phil W like this.
  9. Justinreagin

Justinreagin Senior Member

Well I agree wholeheartedly with a lot of this, the name Gibson quit meaning great guitars better than 20 years ago with any consistency.

HeartString likes this.
  10. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I bet that sucker would sell. Make a limited run of 4 or 5 (depending upon desk size) and auction them off. I bet they'd fetch a pretty penny. If all the members of MLP donated $0.01, each, we'd bid $10K.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    HeartString and Deadletteroffice like this.
  11. jimh

jimh Senior Member

cool thread...I would take the best of the 1952 through 1960 catalog and build them directly to spec...Gold Top LPs, P-90s, Black Beautys, PAFs, Bursts... and no compromise in finish, fit and parts. This would include hollow bodies and the ES series. I would also use the original catalogs as a marketing tool. Go completely retro. After 2 years reduce the line up to the best sellers and reintroduce weight relieved options, and the artist series. The Custom Shop can concentrate on standard production models for aging without having to build an entirely new guitar to old spec.. There has got to be a way to distribute profits that can benefit both the employees and reduce consumer burden for the "privilege" of owning an actual Gibson. They are just guitars afterall...I would love to see their books to ascertain the actual value of LP Standard before mark up. I remember 1989, standing in Lentines Music in Akron drooling over the wall of Les Pauls...cheapest one was $1,100. I had just started college and that was way out of reach. As I got older the Epiphone brand looked enticing but I hate the headstock. Make the Epiphone brand great by changing the headstock...I get why they do that but it would make them sell even more and the profits can help prop up the actual Gibson brand. Also...it has always baffled me why Gibson would change or add crap like self tuners, PC boards, and muddy pickups. I understand keeping things fresh, BUT, as a case in point, the "Custom Van" paint jobs?? wth? what a waste of lumber, those should be Epiphones.

Jim

HeartString likes this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Reintroduce Epiphone open-book headstocks, the old narrow one. Different enough to draw a distinction, similar enough to grab some coattails.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    HeartString likes this.
  13. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I'd make a robot fireturd with mini humbuckers, the new "hockey jersey" color schemes, pancake MDF body, richlite fingerboard, ultra low profile frets, plastic nut, zinc bridge and stp.

HeartString and Deadletteroffice like this.
  14. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

1. Junior SC '57 spec, sunburst
    2. Special SC '58 spec, TV yellow
    3. Standard '57 Goldtop
    4. Custom '55
    5. Standard '54 spec, black top

HeartString likes this.
  15. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

1. "Modern" Les Paul Custom with real Ebony fretboard, axcess heel and modern output Bareknuckle Pickups in Black, White and silverburst

2. Les Paul Standard, weight relief, Push-Pull and stuff, axcess heel, slightly hotter PAF Pickups

3. Les Paul Traditional, Non weight relief, classic specs with PAFs, classic Neck heel

4. 1959 Reissue

5. At least 1 or 2 Slash signature models XD

HeartString likes this.
  16. bgfthntr

bgfthntr Senior Member

Yep, back to basics!

OldBenKenobi and HeartString like this.
  17. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Gold Supporter

Classic
    Traditional
    Standard
    And a couple of custom models

If they did well, the next year I'd expand in finishes and maybe a couple models. But everything that came out would be perfect and priced to sell, not to store.

HeartString likes this.
  18. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Senior Member

I think a “build your own standard” would be amazing. It’d be nice to be able to pick your neck shape, heel cutout, weight relief (if you want it), pick your own top, electronics, plastics.. so many possibilities

19. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

For me ... for the USA line:

Junior: Slab body, single P90, no binding, dots

Studio: Carved plain-top, dual humbuckers, no binding, dots

Classic: Carved plain-top, dual P90s (aligns with SG Classic branding), single ply binding on body/neck, traps

Traditional: Carved AA flame-top, dual humbuckers, single ply binding on body/neck, traps

Standard: Carved AAA+ flame-top, dual humbuckers, single ply binding on body/neck, traps, axcess heel, asymmetric carve

That positions the Standard as the cutting edge model but gives you the Trad if you want, well, the more traditional LP or the Classic if you want P90s.

I am aware there’s no Custom in that list but I only had 5 ... TBH, perhaps a Custom would be a better seller than the Junior but I likes my P90s and I don’t likes my bling. :)

HeartString likes this.
  20. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

They should have stuck with one LP Custom, one LP Standard and the same for the SG. and made them the old school way, providing they could obtain old growth woods.

staffy and HeartString like this.