Build Thread - 61 SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by w666, Feb 14, 2010.

1. w666

w666 Senior Member

Wow, it sure is infectious in here! I've been hanging around for a couple of months now. I first blundered on by while I was completing a kit build, and I just liked it here. So I thought I would contribute and post my kit build experience:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/74264-my-gfs-kit.html

And then I had "post partum" so to speak, so I began looking for another project. I enjoyed building my Les Paul, and I wanted to try again, but just did not have the confidence to take on a scratch LP build. So when George M started organizing his kit I jumped right in. And when it shows up it's going to become a 69 Deluxe (mini humbuckers) "clown burst".

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/60806-new-kit.html

So I found myself rooting around the shop looking for stock that might somehow be suitable for some kind of build. I found some mahogany that started to look like a neck, and some rosewood that began to look suspiciously like a fret board.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/75037-rosewood-fretboard-grain-direction.html

Well, that turned out OK. So the next thing I know I'm at the exotic lumber dealer rooting through the cutoff bin for bits that look like a guitar. I can do this....it's easy! Just get some boards:

[​IMG]

And then cut away the parts that don't look like the guitar!

[​IMG]

2. EtriX

EtriX Senior Member

Hey you can build something cool from that :D:laugh2:

3. w666

w666 Senior Member

Now I should point out at this point that one of the driving themes throughout this build will be "thrift". First of all, I sent pretty much the remainder of my guitar budget to George, but also because this is my first scratch build, and I don't want to throw hundreds of dollars worth of lumber in the firewood pile if I screw it up.

So the fretboard, frets, and binding were all "laying around" in shop, therefore "free". I spent ~$20 for MOP inlays.

I found a nice piece of African mahogany ~ 5" x 1 + 3/4" x 56" for $20. This became a 3 piece body blank (and it looks OK, I don't mind saying). After I glued it up, I rigged up a router sled and made one side flat, and then flipped it over for a final thickness of 1 + 5/16"

[​IMG]

4. w666

w666 Senior Member

Yeah....maybe if I mix up some sawdust and glue I can pour it like a mold and get a nice body shape!

5. w666

w666 Senior Member

Well that went well. Hardly any tear out. I'll bet curly maple won't be nearly as forgiving when I try that.

[​IMG]

6. w666

w666 Senior Member

I cut up one of my blueprints and glued (Elmer's spray adhesive) it to a piece of 1/4 MDF (because that's what I had laying around):

[​IMG]

I used a band saw to cut to the outside of the line, and then used a sanding drum to finish the edge right to the line, leaving a nice smooth edge for the bearing to follow.

Now I had a template, which I used it to mark the rough outline of the body shape:

[​IMG]

7. w666

w666 Senior Member

I used the band saw to cut out the body shape, stay well away from the line (we'll clean that up late with the pattern bit):

[​IMG]

Note: Here's an amusing anecdote I'll share, because I'm sure that nothing like this has ever happened in your shop.

Before I could use the band saw for this job, I had to change the blade from a 3/4 " x 4 tpi that I had been using for re-sawing to one more suitable for these curves. While doing so I noticed that the drive wheel was a little loose, so I got a wrench to pull it off and re-seat it. When the wheel came off the "key" flew away in some direction or another, and landed I know not where (since the floor in every direction was covered with saw dust, I didn't hear it land). I spent the next 2 hours crawling on my hands and knees with a hand broom and a magnet, sifting through the mess, but without success (although my floor is much cleaner now). I found an unused motor with a pulley (yep, just laying around), and so I scavenged the key from it, making a mental note to order some more from somewhere.

8. w666

w666 Senior Member

Voila!

[​IMG]

9. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

Nice...where'd you get the blueprint?

10. w666

w666 Senior Member

11. PoorMan

PoorMan Senior Member

12. w666

w666 Senior Member

Maybe it's this one then....

gUitarREN: SG blueprint

13. monsterwalley

monsterwalley Premium Member

Cool, I've been wanting to do an SG build myself! :thumb:
    Those look like pretty detailed prints. Do they seem pretty accurate in
    your opinion?

14. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

Lookin great bud ! :thumb:

15. Ska_4th_Wave's_Coming

Ska_4th_Wave's_Coming Member

Can't wait to see how it comes out! The suspense is killing me

16. jonny

jonny Senior Member

:dude:Yes! I love SG builds!

17. crushmorgan

crushmorgan Senior Member

This is gonna be good

18. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

Totally.

19. w666

w666 Senior Member

I routed out the body shape using my template. I went slowly and carefully, taking small cuts in multiple passes:

[​IMG]

After a while I began to gain some confidence, so I was able to proceed at a faster pace. And of course that's when the dreaded tear out occurred:

[​IMG]

Should be easy to fix :)

20. w666

w666 Senior Member

I drilled undersized holes to locate the controls while the template was still stuck on. Later I'll re-drill them to the actual size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]