Budget US made guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ozone_00, Jan 6, 2010.

1. ozone_00

ozone_00 Senior Member

Are there any decent quality US made guitars that retail under a grand? I'm thinking the $500-700 range, especially a single-cutaway LP style body, or maybe a double-cutaway PRS style body.

2. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Gibson Melody Makers. Faded Les Paul Special. Les Paul Vintage Mahogany.

3. kernelofwisdom

kernelofwisdom V.I.P. Member

and a junior!

4. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

In my area, CList has had a few gib studios for sale at some decent prices. Have seen VM's fro 500-600, painted studios for 600-800. Some good fender deals as well, Strat deluxes 800-1000. Should I be buying these up and hoarding them until the economy turns around? :naughty:

5. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

6. !Dv

!Dv Senior Member

Wouldn't a budget USA guitar be quite shit, though? Expensive labour would have to be offset by cheap parts to retain the same price as the Korean equivelent, which basically means a hideous slab of black and white boredom as depicted below, compared to something quite exquisitly shaggable, as depicted below that -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Highway 1 Strats and Teles...

8. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

:laugh2:

Like my wife would agree to many more gits anyway. :laugh2::laugh2:

9. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Some people prefer their guitars to be simple and straightforward. Not everyone wants a guitar that looks like an alligator skin purse. ;)

10. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

I believe Godin is a USA made guitar that are pretty affordable. Just because a guitar is made in the USA doesn't necessarily mean it has superior quality. I have a Schecter Hell raiser made in Korea that exudes quality. There are many quality guitars out there that are affordable.

11. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Godins are made in Canada. Great value and great guitars.

12. !Dv

!Dv Senior Member

Well, there's that. To be honest, I only went for that particular guitar because it was the closest to the Melody Maker's £350 pricetag. There were soem proper shaggable guitars around the £250 mark, but that one just seemed to serve neatly as one that had stuff to it, and wasn't as basic as basic could be.

Incidentally, I did see a white Melody Maker on Gumtree not so long ago, for £200. Not one to trouble my bank balance, there.

13. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

The Melody Makers are nice if you value simplicity. Actually, those Ibanezes are quite nice guitars as well, funky finish notwithstanding.

You do have a point about relative quality for the price. The cheaper USA made Gibsons are nice, but they do have to cut costs. The biggest cost cutting measure is the satin nitro finish, although some people might prefer that over a thick poly finish. The other, bigger issue is the finishing details. I love my SG Faded, but it could have used some additional attention to its frets. Meanwhile, a lot of the guitars coming out of Korea have absolutely stellar frets: mirror finished and no prickly ends.

It comes down to what you want. A lot of people in the US would rather buy a US made guitar because they want to support workers at home. Others might want the Gibson brand name. Some may feel that the quality of the US made instruments trumps foreign made guitars at the same price point. Meanwhile, those looking for maximum value might be more willing to pick up a Korean, Chinese, or Indonesian made instrument.

To me, it comes down to the actual guitar. I've got three Gibsons that I bought based on how they played and sounded. I've also got guitars made in Indonesia, Korea, Japan, and Mexico, all of which I bought based on the qualities of the individual guitars, rather than focusing on where they were made.

14. soliloquy

soliloquy Senior Member

look into US MASTERS and carvin guitars. or even dean Hartail. used, these guitars can be bought fairly cheap.

15. kevin134

kevin134 Senior Member

Godin's are made in Canada and assembled in Maine, which makes them pretty close.. Reverend used to make a USA line that was originally sold under 1000 and can still occasionally be found under a thousand. Nothing at all wrong with wanting to buy American, though sadly its gotton harder and harder thru the years to find affordable and American at the same time..

16. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

17. Silly_Sam

Silly_Sam Senior Member

Older Peaveys, sometimes as low as 200. But judging by the ones that I have tried, I think they are in their price range for a reason.

18. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

Les Paul Vintage Mahogany is the best bang for your buck right now I think

here's mine with a few upgrades

[​IMG]

19. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Sorry but I want the 'white hideous boredom,' that wrinkled one below is meh, to me.

20. BoxyBrown22

BoxyBrown22 Senior Member

Used Kramers, bought a Baretta for 415$ US. They're out there, just look for them; they end up with the cheaper guitars quite often too.