Bruce Lee

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Alligatorbling, Apr 21, 2014.

1. YoshiJimbo

YoshiJimbo Senior Member

Jackie Chan's film career might mirror Bruce Lee's if he had lived. Jackie has a bunch of excellent films, and a few that I personally don't care for.

2. Tuesday'sGone

Tuesday'sGone Senior Member

And don't forget about Jackie's singing career.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Shred Astaire

Shred Astaire Senior Member

4. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

No guys, I mean could Jackie win an MMA fight?
    Sorry guys, bored at work.

1 person likes this.
  5. Engel

Engel Premium Member

I figure he'd do about as well as Bruce Lee would, probably better though since he lived to see the evolution of fighting.

6. YoshiJimbo

YoshiJimbo Senior Member

Rumble in the Bronx is great. What's the name of the one where Jackie goes after the WWII treasure? And SuperCop, awesome!

7. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

I don't know much about Chan. Is he actually a decent martial artist?
    Decent fighter?
    All I know him from are his Rush Hour movies...and the ones with Owen Wilson so, I know he's a good stunt man.

8. AKC

AKC Senior Member

Bruce studied Ali extensively. He adopted Ali's way of boxing into his fighting style. It can clearly be seen in most of his fight scenes. He dances and floats around, uses his footwork and doesn't ever used fixed positions.

Bruce greatly admired Ali.

Bruce was indeed a mixed martial artist. He adopted everything from boxing to submissions.

In Enter the Dragon he's even wearing what looks like mixed martial arts gloves. And put's a dude in an arm bar and submits his opponent.

It is also said that Bruce had to slow down his kicks and punches to be caught on film because he was so lightning fast.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ60YrIR2xQ"]Bruce Lee Enter The Dragon Fight Scene 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Bruce would have been a huge fan of MMA. It most represents what he was trying to accomplish as a martial artist.

Whether or not he would whoop some ass in the Octagon is debatable. I tend to lean toward the fact the man was a critical thinker and trained his ass off, always trying to perfect himself and his art. He was obsessed with being fit. At the time he was pound for pound one of the strongest men on the planet. And his reach was much longer than men his size as well. He had very long arms and legs. This all leads me to believe had he dedicated himself to being a professional fighter. He would have indeed been a force to deal with.

2 people like this.
  9. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Bruce Lee died from a cerebral edema, or sudden swelling of the brain, due to a hyper allergic reaction to a prescription headache tablet called Equagesic.

As for Norris' opinion, it's all over the place. Bruce injured his back by doing bent over dead lifts - he would bend at the waste and pick up a heavy weight without using the rest of his body and then straighten up. Obviously we know today that this is not a very advisable thing to do. Doctors told him he would possibly never walk again and his career in martial arts was surely over as he would never be able to kick again.

It took 6 months in bed, during which time he wrote much of what later became the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, but he did recover and went on to make the films which made him famous.

He was not lifting weights with Kareem when this happened and there was no interaction with other drugs that led to his death. I have never read or heard any other person, including the doctors who did the autopsy, make such a claim. The only drugs found in his body after his death were Equagesic and THC. I have never read anything regarding him being on any kind of prescription drug as a result of his back injury in any other book, not even the one his wife Linda wrote.

1 person likes this.
  10. Barcham

The gloves worn in Enter the Dragon were designed for martial arts with the input of Bruce Lee as normal boxing gloves did not allow the freedom for grappling and the existing foam protectors at the time had a tendency to rip and tear after a short period of use.

Dana White calls Bruce Lee 'The Father of mixed martial arts'...

Dana White - Wikiquote

And for Engel, who wanted to know what MMA champion came from a karate background...look no further than one of the best of all time, Georges St-Pierre, who started out in Kyokushin karate.

1 person likes this.
  11. Barcham

He is a fine martial artist. He grew up in Chinese Opera school, which is basically an extremely strict environment with a curriculum that is focused on martial arts training along with the usual school subjects.

He cannot be compared to Lee as Lee's entire life and existence focused on the martial arts. Chan took another direction to become an entertainer and did an excellent job at it.

You may also want to throw Jet Li into the mix. Li is a Wushu master, trained in various forms of the art as well as weapons training. Probably the most dangerous martial arts/actor combination since Bruce Lee. He would probably make mincemeat out of the rest of the Expendables case with not too much effort other than against Randy Couture.

Would either Chan or Li be successful in MMA? There is no way to know as their training was not oriented towards that goal. But it is likely they would have been very good fighters if that had been their goal in life. The thing is that their skills would not adapt well to the necessary rules of MMA.

1 person likes this.
  12. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

Since we're talking about Chan and Li, what about Tony Jaa?

13. Shred Astaire

Shred Astaire Senior Member

Donnie Yen! Love that dude...

14. Barcham

Tony Jaa? I never really followed his career. He was trained in Muay-Thai and other arts so is used to contact fighting. I think he became a Buddhist Monk a few years ago and left the film world behind.

What has to be understood is that none of these people mentioned got into martial arts to become MMA fighters. That was never their goal just as most of the early MMA fighters were little more than street fighters with no real training or skills of any kind. Someone is much better off in the entertainment world than fighting in a UFC octagon where the money is not that great unless you are one of the stars. No one ever got rich from fighting in 'tough guy' competitions - which is what the UFC started out as.

15. DHBucker

DHBucker Senior Member

Those are Kempo gloves.

16. DHBucker

DHBucker Senior Member

The thing about Bruce's technique I have noticed is they are real world martial arts/Gung Fu techniques..Like a simple back fist, reverse punches, back kick, side kick/side thrust. Hook kicks and so on... He never engaged in the over the top shit that wouldn't work. He used Chin Na, Wing Chun, Shao Lin Long Fist, Shaolin Five Animal Kung Fu, Western boxing techniques, grappling, and traditional chinese weapons.

If he were alive during the rise of MMA he would take the best from it and formulate a practical way to incorporate it into his fighting style or teaching..Very much like a good guitarist will use licks or techniques from other genres of playing to improve or expand their horizons as a player.

To just look at Bruce as "oh he couldn't make it against an MMA fighter". Oh he would be beaten by a good wrestler is missing the point.

2 people like this.
  17. Lungo

Lungo Senior Member

Arguments can be made to support Bruce Lee's influence on cross training and modern MMA, but combat sports are a lot older than most people realize. Pankration was practiced by the Greeks and made it's way into the early Olympics. Many historians believe Pankration was spread to the East by Alexander the Great and his soldiers and ultimately gave birth to Kung Fu and Muay Thai.

I love Bruce Lee movies, Jackie Chan movies, Chuck Norris, Tony Jaa, and the list goes on. I don't know how any of them would do in modern MMA and I don't care. These debates are silly. I enjoy the actors and practitioners for what they do and respect their accomplishments without having to qualify them using subjective comparisons.

5 people like this.
  18. AKC

AKC Senior Member

Bruce also originally didn't believe in head kicks or even kicking above the knee. Until he met Chuck Norris. Haha!

Chuck was known for his kicks. Bruce adopted that from Chuck.

And I totally agree. To make an assumptive arguments on how he would do as a professional fighter is completely missing the point.

19. AKC

AKC Senior Member

Q&A with Chuck Norris.

He says he and Bruce would have done well in MMA. So yea. Since Chuck says it then that trumps everyone else's argument! :thumb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7PAuRCFGjg]Chuck Norris: Bruce Lee wanted to do more than just beat me - YouTube[/ame]

20. Barcham

Chuck Norris is a tool. Lee didn't take his high kicks from Norris, he used them because they looked good on film and were a frequent component in Chinese Gung Fu films. In real life, he believed that any kick above the waist was a risky proposition as they were much easier to trap or block which would lead to possible vulnerability.