Bridge Pickup Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by dragonbat13, Aug 3, 2017.

1. dragonbat13

dragonbat13 Junior Member

I need a good bridge pup for my 93 studio. I have a mid 70s T top in the neck that I really like, and I am looking for a nice bridge pickup to complement it. I am thinking about an Alnico Pro 2, but would like to know what everybody else has to say. would like to keep it under a 100 dollars, dont mind used. I have been looking at the Duncan Distortion, but I am afraid that will be a tad to high gainish.

The two neck pickups I have really liked a lot are this T top and the SD Jazz neck. I am looking for a good classic rock/blues bridge pickup that can still handle high gain metal on occasion. I dont care for the JB bridge too much. But I have only played that one in alder and ash guitars, never in a Les Paul. I have one in an ash strat with a jazz neck, it is trembucker spaced.

I am not dead set on duncan pickups, its just what I have had at the moment. I also have a new 57 classic, which may be all I need. But I always watch out for humbuckers on ebay. A guitar parts builder can never have enough buckers.

When its all said and done both pups will have nickle covers installed by me, so I dont mind buying used since I am going to be modifying it anyway.

Thank you all!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

For covering a broad range from vintage to modern, check out the 59/Custom Hybrid, which will blend well with your Jazz.

3. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

I really dig T tops in neck position but not so much in bridge. 57 classic is more paf/vintage voiced than the 70's pickup. If you've already got one you may find it is indeed pretty much what you are after. If you've got a few quid to spend I can heartily recommend a Bare Knuckle Mule. I'd also trawl fleabay and craigslist for a vintage 70's Super Distortion or, dare I say it, an airbucker (the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF are cheap n cheerful). Those old ones sound pretty good to my ear in the bridge. There's better boutique options but they're all silly money.

The JB can be transformed in to anything you like by swapping the mags btw.

If you're in to arts n crafts you can always wind your own ..

4. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Dimarzio Super D bridge with T-Top neck would be a cool "old school" Rocker....

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. EpiLP1985

EpiLP1985 Senior Member

I used to use a SD59 with an Alnico II magnet swap. That was a great bridge pickup. It was installed with a Burstbucker II in the neck that I installed the Alnico V magnet into. Always liked that pickup set.

C.J. likes this.
  6. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Check out Vineham pickups!
    Great prices and complete bargain for custom made pickups.

I own his Triple D (70s Dimarzio Super Distortion clone) and can't say enough about it!
    If you worry about volume imballance too much, I'd recommend his 6070 (overwound T-top).
    The 6070 has been receiving great reviews.

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

The 6070 is the best bridge HB I have ever played on. Bright articulate, takes gain like a champ, pairs beautifully with a T-Top neck. The price cannot be beat, even by the big shooters. Highly recommended.

morbidalex666 likes this.
  8. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

I third Vineham. I replaced the 57 Classic + in my 2016 traditional with a Vineham Whiskey Sour. Similar pickup, s it's an overwound PAF type, but more clarity, more balls and more attitude. Half the price of a new Gibson Pup