Bridge Pickup Choice For Les Paul

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jumpinjackf1ash, Sep 21, 2008.

1. jumpinjackf1ash

jumpinjackf1ash Senior Member

Hey guys I have an Epi Les Paul Standard Limited Edition that I have playing like a dream, and I'm trying to make it sound as good as it plays now. I already have a Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary in the neck and I love it.

I replaced the toggle switch and output jack with switchcraft ones, and I have 4 CTS 500k pots wired 50's style with Vitamin Q's. Everything sounds great, I just can't decide on a bridge pickup.

I tried a Seymour Duncan JB but it was too distorted and not warm enough (also consider my LP has a maple neck w/ rosewood fretboard)
    I tried a Seymour Duncan '59 and it just didn't suit me, as well as an SD Custom Custom.

I play everything from clean jazz to Petrucci and Paul gilbert shredding stuff so I need a versatile bridge pickup that has good warmth, sustain, and clarity, but doesn't distort TOO much when played clean (and is 4-conductor so I can get series/split/parallel). I play through a Kustom Coupe '36 with an MXR GT-OD mostly...and I can get about any overdriven lead tone I want.

Pickups I am thinking about are:

Dimarzio DP223 36th Anniversary Bridge Model
    Rio Grande BBQ
    StewMac Golden Age Overwound Humbucker
    Gibson Burstbucker Pro
    Dimarzio Breed Bridge
    Gibson '57 Classic Plus

I'm not sure which one to choose...do any of you guys have experience with any of those in a Les Paul? Do you have any other recommendations from what I described I play and what I play it through?

Help is GREATLY appreciated ;]

2. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

I'd recommend either the '57 Classics, or some of the GFS stuff. I have a Retrotron Hot Nashville in the bridge of my Les Paul that sounds great with nearly any amp setting. I can go from ZZ TOP to Zeppelin to Chuck Berry in a few turns of the amp dials. Sounds great clean, yet distorts extremely well. Check out the myspace link in my Sig, the lead you're hearing is the Retrotron. Versatile, and cheap.

3. jumpinjackf1ash

do you think a 57' classic plus or a gfs would be okay for "shredding" i guess you would call it? really fast runs and legato and sweep picking and whatnot? i KNOW theyd be okay for blues and classic rock...

4. Skynyrdpicker

I'm not much of a shredder myself, so I wouldn't be the one to know, although with the right amp settings, I'm sure you could dial in some pretty impressive tones.

Check out the other GFS pickups. There's a bunch of models that might suit your needs pretty well.

GFS Power Rails- Crushing power, Killer Tone- Ivory

5. jumpinjackf1ash

I'm looking at GFS right now, the FAT PAT sounds like what I would want. and what great prices! If the pickups are HALF as good as the description it would be a hell of a deal. and i really do hate the word "shredding" haha. as long as the pickup is articulate and not too sloppy i'm sure it's what i want.

6. Skynyrdpicker

The descriptions are always a bit overkill on the guitarfetish site, but I have never been disappointed with any of their products.

7. jumpinjackf1ash

True...well, for 30 bucks I don't think I can go wrong! I think I'm gonna order a FAT PAT on monday if no one on this forum talks me out of it by monday evening ;] I just read some harmony central reviews and apparently GFS kicks some major ass so thats good ha

8. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

my two cents...the WB VTP pickups I have are very good..and I belive that the bridge PU is the best (IMHO or for me) I have every played....the WBs are in my 1964 MM...I also use wcr and jason lollar...give what you said I also would suggest the lollar...

9. axslinger

axslinger Senior Member

10. jumpinjackf1ash

skynyrd picker thank you so much for the GFS tip...I got a FAT PAF and the order got screwed up and I was sent a different pickup than what I ordered...it was a custom FAT PAF with two slug coils instead of one slug with one screw....I put it in and have never liked my LP so much....it is the most killer pickup I have ever tried...and for 28 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! such a fat and smooth sustaining pickup...im a definite return customer ...

11. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

tim shaws are fantastic Pups if you can find em
    or the 57 classics+

12. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

My absolute favorite bridge pickup for the last 25-30 years has been the Dimarzio Super Distortion, I love that classic tone that it helps create. I play a lot of classic rock early metal stuff so it is perfect for me.

I have one guitar currently loaded with Dimarzios, it's one of my best sounds- almost every guitar I have owned has had a Dimarzio Super D in it at one point and my new ones will all have them by the end of the year.

13. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

WB Reverend, most well balanced pickup ive ever used

14. Muudrock

Muudrock Junior Member

15. uOpt

uOpt Senior Member

Wow, you only have extreme Duncans there. The '59 often gets too boomy and gets too snorty in Les Pauls, the CC has no highs (IMHOs) and the JB is a weapon they should have found in Iraq to justify the invasion.

If you can live with colder cleans on the bridge pickup (not bad, just cold), then a Duncan Custom is a good choice. It warms up with distortion.

The APH is a PAF style potted A2 humbucker that comes in not coloring the sound too much so that you can use it as a base for whatever rig you stack behind it. It's not high output. Some (not me) like the Pearly Gates which is a ruder version of the same concept.

In general, getting a pickup that is hot enough to enchance sustain but also gives you clean Jazz sounds in the bridge is going to be a challenge.

My new personal favorite is the EVH/78, but that's an expensive one. I does exactly what you want but is unpotted and as I said pricey. Not to mention the wait.

16. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

WCR Fillmore.

17. J.LaGrassa

J.LaGrassa Senior Member

Dimarzio DP223 36th Anniversary Bridge Model is a great match for the neck pup you already have!

18. monroe

monroe Senior Member

WCR Godwood. So far, the best I've ever tried in the bridge pos of a LP.

19. 59lespaulmann

59lespaulmann Senior Member

on monday night i`ll get back to you with a link to a guy who make pups-the best vintage paf tone ive ever heard -nails it!!!!

20. Skynyrdpicker

I just saw this! Been a long time since you posted, but no problem! :thumb::laugh2: