Bridge height question

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Nate Henderson, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

My understanding is that the height of the bridge required to achieve a given string height is primarily determined by the neck angle. I've noticed that on some guitars I've looked at the bridge seems very high. Are ones that are too high problematic, and if so how high is too high?

2. MSB

MSB Senior Member

several factors play into it (neck relief is one), so it's not cut and dry.

too high? that's fairly subjective and each player is going to have their preference

Nate Henderson likes this.
  3. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

I know there's an element of subjectivity, I just wondered if needing it too high could indicate an actual problem like an improperly set neck, and if so how high that would be.

4. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Yes.

No. Not as long as you don't run out of adjustment room.

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The neck being improperly set would be immediately noticeable - in that you would have gaps under the fretboard to the body. No QC would pass such an instrument.
    So if the fretboard is flush with the body then the neck is properly set for that guitar.

So bridge height as a test for poor setup is no reliable metric - assuming you even found a single point where a person could say 'too high', if you applied that then not a single archtop would qualify. The ES Les Paul has a similar type of setup and none of them would qualify either. And finally over the years the LP has had a few different neck angle ranges too......so do you base your target height on the higher or the lower??

And finally.....a setup is based on relief, buzz and playability. Notice there is no mention of the bridge. Its an 'adjustable' in order to achieve those tactile elements.

MSB, endial, PierM and 1 other person like this.
  6. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

Ok, I was just wondering because I found one that I like, but the bridge looked really high so I brought in a tool to measure it and it's like 46/64" from the body to the flat part of the top of the bridge (not including saddles). Seems high to me.

7. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

48/64ths translates to 3/4 inches, that seems high. What is the measurements from the top of the guitar to the bottom of the adjustment wheel? That’s more telling to me. Most of mine measure there from 1/8 to maybe 3/8 inches at most. A high bridge would only be a problem if you plan on decking your tailpiece for the most part. A bridge that is too low can cause a problem setting up the action.

8. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

I think the distance between the top and the wheel was about 2/8".

9. mudface

mudface Senior Member

2/8 =1/4.......... not bad

10. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

I know, I gave the number in 8ths because Csjinla gave the expected range in 8ths.

11. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

12. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

13. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

The neck angle is not be glued to the body at the correct angle? Hate having the bridge too high off the body... could contribute to possible bridge posts bending for ABR type.

Picture looks ok.

14. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

From what little I know, that doesn't look too bad at all.

OP! Are you aware that the neck is set at a back angle to the body?

It is not straight in like a Fender, it is tipped back a bit.

This is why the bridge must be higher like this one. The carved top and neck back - angle needs it like this to work.

[​IMG]

15. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I see nothing wrong here.

endial and DarrellV like this.
  16. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

Ok thanks.

Yes I know the neck is supposed to be at an angle.

DarrellV likes this.
  17. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about that bridge height, but the TP looks higher than I'd care for

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  18. MSB

MSB Senior Member

here's 3 LPs and a Travis Bean for reference... hope it helps. All play with no buzz and if I didn't use picks could go a bit lower w/o buzz on the neck

edit- it's funny, the red one has the highest "string height" off the body but easily has the lowest action on the neck (neck angle I suppose?)

Attached Files:

19. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Yup...I would deck that tailpiece and topwrap!

medic24 likes this.
  20. moreles

moreles Senior Member

This thread is yet another example of the need for pictures. As soon as the OP provided a pic, members could readily see that the setup falls into the norm. Without pics, we end up speculating unnecessarily about what "high" means, and the numerous possible causes. Your guitar looks fine, though the posts look a bit bent. Now you can explore one trillion opinions about top wrapping, snugging down, bridge composition, etc., etc., etc! Good luck getting the action you want.