Brian May

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by planks, Jul 4, 2010.

1. planks

planks Senior Member

I got interested in his playing around 1973. Great tone, feeling and i love all the multi-layered stuff he does. Saw them live in '74, '75 and '76. I was also fascinated by the story of his "Red Special", how he built it with his father from scratch out of old planks and special metal parts etc. He became one of the biggest influences on my own playing and composing since then. I followed his playing, development and projects through the years, and he just continues to amaze and inspire. Here's a few from the doctor. This from the recent DVD "Queen + Paul Rodgers - Live In Ukraine".

Fuelish and Harmony like this.
  2. planks

planks Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsT5BiWu-gI&feature=PlayList&p=8B26EFB9335DFA23&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=42]YouTube - Queen + Paul Rodgers - Guitar Solo - Bijou - Last Horizon (live)[/ame]

3. planks

planks Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPD7_hQk7hk&feature=related]YouTube - Brian May guitar 1992[/ame]

4. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

I think I recall the guitar being made from an old oak mantle piece, aircraft and motorcycle parts. I love his guitar playing. Another master there.

5. planks

planks Senior Member

6. planks

planks Senior Member

7. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

8. planks

planks Senior Member

Yeah, i did read that thread. Well, it seems he got it worked out in the end?

I am only in a "thinking" phase about those, i am definately going to try some out first before deciding on anything. I read some reviews here and there, and this is one i have on the HD. Of course always easy to find both postive and negative reviews on anything. That damn personal taste and preferences :laugh2:

Red Special Review | Brian May Guitars | Electric Guitars | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

9. planks

planks Senior Member

10. planks

planks Senior Member

Guyton ‘Red Special’ specifications

Neck
    Constructed from finest quality quartersawn Brazilian mahogany, fitted with a stainless steel truss rod, designed to be anchored and adjusted with a custom machined stainless steel adjuster, as per the original guitar.

Fingerboard
    Quartersawn English oak, fitted with mother-of-pearl position markers, and fretted with Dunlop fretwire.

Nut
    1960’s Bakelite.

Body
    Constructed from oak and blockboard, veneered with brazilian mahogany, then bound with white celluloid binding. All electrical cavities fully copper screened.

Pickups
    Burns Tri-sonics, fully re-modelled and re-wound to mimic the differences in Brian’s own pickups.

Tuners
    Schaller back locking tuners, fitted with modified Gotoh pearloid buttons.

Bridge
    Custom machined aluminium blocks, fitted with stainless steel rollers. The whole assembly is then shimmed, fitted and grounded as per original.

Tremolo
    The block is machined from a mild steel block, it is then fitted with a custom built tremolo arm assembly, androcks on a hardened steel knife edge, which is anchored to the oak centre section as per original. The custom made springs are then located on the block with machined brass ferrules. The whole assembly is then finished with a reshaped parchment tremolo arm knob.

Switches
    3 pickup selector switches and 3 phase reversal switches. These switches are very heavily modified switchcraft items. Firstly to maintain correct switch spacing, the chassis of the switch has to be altered and modified to accept new switch plates. The switch tips are then replaced with custom machined items to replicate the size and feel of the originals. These are then mounted to an aluminium chassis plate that’s shaped and fixed like the original guitar.

Pots
    To get the true BM sound, the pots have to have the correct value and taper, and also to have a loose, yet quality feel. With manufacturing tolerances of +/- 20%, omly a few of the 220k pots fall in to the correct value. All the pots used are individually tested to make sure they meet the correct spec. These are then mounted to an aluminium control plate, and fitted with custom machined control knobs.

Pickguards
    The pickguard, pickup surrounds, trem cover and truss rod cover are all constructed from black Perspex, with the thickness being machined to match the original parts. All the Perspex parts are then bevelled or rounded off and finely polished.

Finish
    After being stained, the whole guitar is finished in the same type of 2-pack finish used on the original guitar.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Oh yeah, that's the one.

12. planks

planks Senior Member

13. Blazer

Blazer Senior Member

Well I have to say that his current range of guitars DEFINATELY is closer to the original than some of the monstrosities that Guild issued.
    [​IMG]

14. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Yeah, that one is just awful.

15. planks

planks Senior Member

Time for some more music. Also taken from the "Live In Ukraine" DVD, here with Paul Rodgers (Free and Bad Company) on the vocals.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR-DV_BP8FY]YouTube - Queen+Paul Rodgers - The Show Must Go On (Live In Ukraine)[/ame]

16. planks

planks Senior Member

Interviews > Brian May Interviews > 2002 (Excerpt)

Richard Madeley: Your guitar has this incredibly original sound. i suppose you could call it an original fender because it was made out of an old fireplace wasn't it?

Brian May: It's an original Brian May. It's one of the few guitars that there are in the world, I think it's me and B.B King, sorry, not B.B King, erm, erm, mental block! There's another guy...

Richard Madeley: Oh Mental Block is great!

Brian May: (laughs) Ok...Bo Diddly! Bo Diddly made his own guitar and I did and we're two of the few who did.

Richard Madeley: 19th century fireplace wood.

Brian May: Yeah, it was from an old fireplace and bits of knitting needles and valve springs from a motorbike and stuff.

Richard Madeley: And you used to play it with an old coin for a pick.

Brian May: I still do.

Richard Madeley: What con do you use?

Brian May: It's a sixpence.

Richard Madeley: A sixpence!

Brian May: Very cheap!

Richard Madeley: Fantastic!

Brian May: And it works!

17. planks

planks Senior Member

Brian May has said that amongst his biggest influences is Jimmy Page and Paul Kossoff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR-bhIWB9k0&feature=PlayList&p=C7F905A801BB16D1&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=47]YouTube - Queen + Paul Rodgers - 'All Right Now' (Live)[/ame]

18. planks

planks Senior Member

An interview with Brian May, and a glimpse into his home surroundings and his studio.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Drd032G0Wg]YouTube - Brian May home & studio[/ame]

19. planks

planks Senior Member

20. planks

planks Senior Member

A pic of Brian May's guitar rack, Queen + Paul Rodgers tour 2008.

[​IMG]