Boutique pickups: What does a $250+ set have that a $150 - $200 set doesn't?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by gregggyf, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

It was not a criticism, it was an explanation why some would get a lot more emails! It is a good idea to talk over the phone. It puts customers at ease.

However some people (like myself) prefer to order stuff without having to pickup up the phone.

2. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

this sounds horrible, i would not be able to stand people who kept asking questions and couldn't make up their mind. a lot of times people want to hear you just reinforce their beliefs in pickups. when i bought a pickup from James i think i asked him three of four questions and just trusted his judgment, since it's in his best interest to answer my questions with as much detail and knowledge as possible. i took what he said at face value and just trusted his expertise about pickups. there wasn't anything else i could of goten out of him if i kept asking questions like "whats the differences between your X pickup and Y pickup?, which is smoother? which sounds more like jimmy page, blah blah blah". He answers these things in the description already and i knew i was going to get a good product. Most importantly i knew that my tone is much more then just the pickup i own, it's in the amp, the wood, and most of all the fingers. i bought a PAF style pickup because i wanted that general vibe, and i got it. i am very happy with it.

if i get another les paul or an SG i will probably try another brand of pups (maybe scatterbranes!) simply because i want to try other pickups, and experience the subtle differences one winders has to another.

3. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

You can break gonads if you want. You should see what passes for my record keeping system. The only thing missing is a quill pen.

1 person likes this.
  4. bill m

bill m Senior Member

50% of my orders are email and 50% are through people calling me. There are still many people who don't like to use computers much and this is one of the reasons I post my phone # all over my web site and in my magazine ads. I think some people feel they are getting a more personal experience when calling and actually talking to the person who is going to create their pickups. Also they usually get to know a little bit about you and also you of them.

5. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

I've been trying to keep the number private but I get so many robo calls and solicitations anyway that maybe I'll steal you idea. Maybe I'll start hating the sound of a ringing phone less...

6. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

I added a line to the house that once the shop is complete will be the number. I do not mind either. I just dig on chatting even if they do not by. I get a lot of what should I do and sometimes it comes down to well get the SD set and or we could do this that or the other. It is never a waste of time even if the customer does not by. Why because when a budyy asks them hey I am thinking of getting a new set of pups. That non buying customers cudos for all the time you took with them sometimes pays off.

1 person likes this.
  7. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I'm totally going to prank call you guys.

"....I have a 7 string electric banjo tuned to drop C. I play Eastern Lithuanian death metal but also polka..."

5 people like this.
  8. captcoolaid

I have a pickup for that. Now what lol.

2 people like this.
  9. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: I need a high-gain piezo for a sitar. Whatcha got?

1 person likes this.
  10. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

:shock:

Well, I think you should get in touch with Les Claypool, in that case. He would probably be very interested in that pickup. :thumb:

11. captcoolaid

Hahahahahaha.

12. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

You've been listening maybe a little too much...(shhhh)...to what the flower people are saying....

2 people like this.
  13. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Joe satriani uses dimarzios because he likes them and they ARE custom wound for him, by one of the boutique makers that's been around since people were swapping real PAFs out for them.
    I think people buying boutique pickups do it to not sound like joe satriani.