Bought My First Turntable in 40 Years

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Bluesky, May 14, 2018.

1. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

But the lights look so cool!!:fingersx:

Z2112 and Tone deaf like this.
  2. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

KP11520 likes this.
  3. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I love lights...

[​IMG]

Bluesky, Shred Astaire and Z2112 like this.
  4. Z2112

Z2112 Senior Member

Don't get me started on mp3 music.
    Every few years I get an MP3 player for Christmas. I politely give it back and say thanks but no thanks.
    Dogs don't know its not bacon.

Bluesky, KP11520 and Tone deaf like this.
  5. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Senior Member

Record cleaning can be done pretty simply. Get two plastic spray bottles, a gallon of distilled water and a bottle of 90+% isopropyl alcohol. Fill one bottle with straight distilled water for rinsing and the other with 1 part isopropyl and 2 parts distilled for cleaning. Lint free cotton cloths or good quality microfiber for cleaning and drying.

Right now I'm putting together a DIY vacuum record cleaner out of parts sourced from Goodwill, including a United Audio Dual 1212 turntable($8) and a small wet/dry vac($4).

Z2112 and Bluesky like this.
  6. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

Bought new way back in the 70's (CD player added mid 80's).
    All mint, all sound like a choir of angels.

Turntable: Yamaha YP-D8
    Pre-amp: SAE 2900
    Power Amp: SAE 2200
    Tuner: SAE 3200
    CD: Denon DCD-6200
    Speakers: DCM Time Windows
    Sell?: NEVER
    [​IMG]

pnuggett, KP11520, Tone deaf and 3 others like this.
  7. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

Lol! I swear I watch the bars dance on that graphic EQ .......its hipotizing!

Tone deaf and Z2112 like this.
  8. mjpinla

mjpinla Platinum Supporter

Truth.

Seems like a lot of people who have become enthusiastic about LPs in the past 20 years or so never had to live them as the only option. A medium that requires so much maintenance - and then degrades every time you play it anyway, no matter how careful you are, or how many hundreds of dollars your stylus cost - probably wasn't the ideal way to store sound, but it's all we had.

The whole "tactile" thing is kind of overblown too. I certainly don't miss the wonderful, tactile experience of flipping LPs every 22 minutes. Using a typewriter is a very tactile experience too, but using one when there are better, easier, more convenient options is just kind of foolish.

I have a turntable, but I only use it to record (digitally) records that never made it to CD. My high-end TEAC CD player is collecting dust too, ever since I got this.

Bluesky, KP11520 and Z2112 like this.
  9. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I have a Yamaha YP-D6. Your D8 is in beautiful condition. Looks PRISTINE! You wouldn't have an extra headshell you'd like to sell, would you? What cartridge are you running?

GraphX12 and Shred Astaire like this.
  10. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Senior Member

There is a great deal of confusion over how much records actually wear over time. True, some wear does occur, but with proper care you would actually wear out several styli before you wore down a record enough that the difference would be audible. I personally have records from the early 60s that sound as clean and bright as you'd like, no pops, clicks or skips. Some were bought for as little as $1. Keeping them clean and using a correct tracking force is key. The lifetime of a record is likely many times the MTBF of any digital storage device available.

To me, anything worth having is worth taking care of. Keeping records in good shape takes little time and effort.

QuicksilverSS, GraphX12 and pnuggett like this.
  11. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

12. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

These old Yamaha's are very sought after turntables. Really overlooked at the time when they came out. Little did I know when I bought it that someday it would turn into a gold mine! (wish I would have hung onto my '70 Cuda also!) I'm running the original cartridge I got with the turntable - a Grado GF1. A few years back my stylus got damaged and I replaced it with an 8MZ.

Sorry I can't help you with the headshell - wish I had an extra. I followed someone on eBay a while back that was selling compatible headshells in various materials - gold, titanium, etc. but just didn't pull the plug. Now I can't seem to find him anymore. There are a couple used YP-D6 shells currently listed.

Here's a better pic of the TT:

[​IMG]

Z2112, pnuggett and KP11520 like this.
  13. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Yup, she's a beauty. ENJOY! But we already know you will!

14. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

For years I’ve been saying I’m going to set up my turntable and drag out some vinyl. A couple weeks ago I finally got my Thorens TD-160 out of storage, made a spot for it on the stereo cabinet in my office, went to plug it in, and....godammit! This Harmon Karmon AV receiver doesn’t even have a phono input. My other receiver has cables buried behind it in a cabinet and I don’t have time to swap it out, so for now, the turntable is just a dust collector.

15. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

You can buy a Phono Stage/preamp and put it between your TT and Aux in jacks. They range from $29 to thousands of $$$$.

16. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

UPS says delivery is slated for Tuesday. (economy from Oregon). I'm hoping it shows up Monday. For right now I just have the two LP's that are not available on CD. Charlie Musslewhite and Gov't Mule Stoned.

I got a bid on some early Santana LP's On Ebay . That should be the real test because the Santana CD's I have sound pretty incredible. All my speakers have super Tweeters made from Titanium and those cowbells sound like they are in the room. Be interesting to A/B the CD vs. the LP. :cheers:

17. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Again, thanks for the heads up about eBay!

Scored an Original today for $35 shipped!

GraphX12 and Bluesky like this.
  18. QuicksilverSS

QuicksilverSS Senior Member

Still using my Technics SLB3 from the early 1980's. Original Audio Technica stylus. Used mostly to record L.P.'s to 8 track or cassette to listen to in my car. I enjoy pitting my old L.P.'s on for a listen every now and then and have picked up some great albums up at flea markets and some repops here and there.

Z2112 likes this.
  19. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

That Thorens is a POS. I'll give you a few bucks to take it off your hands...

20. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Go to your local Goodwill, look for an NAD receiver, look on the back and make sure it has "phono in" and "Pre out."