Bought a LP on Ebay arrived with broken headstock

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by lorenzots, May 11, 2009.

1. Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd Senior Member

You would think they would loosen the more I guess, who knows why they don't? Unless they have worked out that even with the most severe climate changes etc the difference in tension that half step makes is enough?

2. lorenzots

lorenzots Junior Member

I went to the liuther to get a estimate to repair the guitar. Quite an amount...
    Anyway I sent an email to th seller suggesting if he think he could at least pay in advance what he felt right for not loosening the strings and packing the guitar poorly. And if he would pay in advance the repair costs while he waited for the insurance.

This is what I got back:

"Hi, I have to disagree with the packing of the guitar as we have sent guitars to America and Germany before without any problems. Unfortunately we do not have the money to be able to pay in advance any compensation to get the guitar repaired so we will have to just go down the route of claiming through the company involved. I am sorry if this is not what you would want. I will contact you with more information as soon as I have any.

Kind regards"

3. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

I think this was a mistake to get an estimate or even offer to go that route. Once you file a claim with paypal and your credit card company, the seller also needs to file with the shipping company. That company needs to pick up the guitar, pay the seller, and he needs to refund your money through paypal. Meanwhile, paypal should protect you and refund your money in the end no matter what. If they have limits on how much they will pay you, then you should still be protected because you told your credit card company the item was damaged during shipping; they will make paypal eat the difference.

I would not accept any compromise on this one. The only fair answer is for the guitar to be returned and a refund issued to you. As for who pays for it (shipping company or seller), that is of no concern to you. Paypal and your credit card company should handle those details.

4. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Ok, have to say something. It was suggested you "add" some stuff to the box "if you need to". Altering the stuff could be anything from fraud to grounds for invalidating the claim. Do NOT alter anything, do NOT lie, make sure you tell facts and facts only.

5. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

I gotta say I agree with Jimmy bro. It's good to try and be nice and work things out when stuff like this happens, but business is business. File the claim with your credit card company/paypal and get a refund for the full amount.

6. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

7. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

I realize this is overwhelming, I've been through it more than once, but you need to take these people's advise on this one, file a claim with the appropriate agencies and get your money back. The bottom line is you the buyer did not get what you paid for and this is precisely the sort of bs that CC companies and PayPal protect consumers from.

8. duff

duff Senior Member

file a complaint with paypal and get your money back, send the guitar back to the seller whenever paypal tells u to do so.

U see, this is not your problem, this is the seller's problem. The insurance company will not even want to talk to u, only to the seller. It will take months to get your money back, and more months to get the guitar repaired. Then u're not even sure the seller will send u the money, or the full amount he got back from the claim.

I've been there.. trust me !

9. ZombieAttack

ZombieAttack Senior Member

I disagree completely. When dropped, the tension on the strings can cause a whiplash effect and break the neck without any damage to the case.

10. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy V.I.P. Member

open the paypal and credit card claim now.

11. yllsacky

yllsacky Senior Member

thats fake

12. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy V.I.P. Member

what's fake?

13. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Whose side are you on? If there is no apparent damage to the case or external box, then it must be assumed by the insuring company that it was shipped broken, whether or not it actually was.
    This dude has a broken guitar, when he payed for an unbroken guitar.
    I am totally amazed at the lifespan of this thread.
    Hey, OP!!!! Have you opened a claim yet, or do you need more encouragement?

14. ZombieAttack

ZombieAttack Senior Member

I didn't realize I had to pick a side. I thought I was offering an explanation as to what happened. Next time I'll just make sure to shut up and nod my head in agreement.

15. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

1) Do not even entertain getting the guitar repaired.

2) File a claim with both your credit card company and PayPal

3) DO NOT alter or "add" additional packaging. That's dishonest, fraudulent, and stupid advice to say the least.

4) Guitars can break in the case during shipment. The box could have been dropped flat and the impact could crack the neck. Had it happen to me once.

5) The shipping company will get the damaged guitar back if you are awarded a claim. You don't get to keep the refund money and the guitar.

6) Document all your conversations with the seller (i.e. keep copies of the emails that went back and forth.

7) Good luck.

16. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

If you cannot back tis claim up with factual evidence then you need to STFU and go to another thread.

That break pattern is very common on Gibson guitars..............

17. jonesy

Yes it is...

[​IMG]

18. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

That'll work.

19. yllsacky

yllsacky Senior Member

the serial and made in u.s.a is stamped

20. jonesy

That does not mean it is a fake bro?? Here is my Gibson 06' Les Paul Studio? :hmm:

[​IMG]