Bought a LP on Ebay arrived with broken headstock

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by lorenzots, May 11, 2009.

1. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Yep....just as I suggested....a couple of times!

2. lorenzots

lorenzots Junior Member

I've been doing some reading on ebay and found out some not very good stuff:
    ebay rules here are different from those of other countries. Paypal covers: €200 or €1000 NOT the full price of the object. If it is €200 or €1000 depends on some things like: sellers feedback, paypal account is Premier or Business, etc. In my case it is €200... probably his paypal account is not Premier or Business verified.
    He doesn't know this (since he is in another counrty). So I could start a claim hoping he agrees to refound. But if he doesn't I get €200... I think I'm just going to wait and see what the shipper had to say and hope to get most of my money back from the shipper.

3. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Did you pay by credit card through paypal? or did you use instant payment? e-check?

4. qwank

qwank Senior Member

I'm asking this for the good of the forum here, can someone do a sticky in the members classifieds on a "how to pack a guitar properly for shipping" thread?

5. JimmyAce2006

+1 GREAT idea! pics would be helpful as well!

6. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

I think you are getting taken for a ride...

7. lorenzots

lorenzots Junior Member

I payed with credit card through paypal.

The guitar cretainly broke during the shipment. There are little pieces of wood in the bottom of the case.

He is asking me to bring the guitar to a liuther and to have him value the damage to fill the shipping company claim form.

8. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

I'd politely decline, stating that I would prefer a full refund. Then return the guitar and let the seller take it to a luthier for a quote etc.

The last thing you want is, say, for the luthier to quote €200 repair, and then get €200 to repair it. Then you have paid full price for a repaired guitar. NOT COOL!

9. JimmyAce2006

I think you should open a dispute with your credit card company. They will make paypal eat it just in case paypal only gives you EUR200.

10. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Not a bad idea :hmm:

11. lorenzots

lorenzots Junior Member

I've spoken to the liuther and I'm going there and see if it is possible to repair. I actually think it is not possible to repair it. Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. jonesy

Anything can be fixed, I repaired my 06' Studio LP..but is that what you want?

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. JimmyAce2006

i wouldn't repair it. i would send that broken POS back to the seller. you will never be able to get your money back out of it. you bought an unbroken nice guitar, but that is not what was delivered to you. i would get my money back if it was me. and then i would buy one that was not broken.

14. jonesy

I agree, I think you should get a refund because you did not get what you paid for bro.

15. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

Only way I'd be happy with a repair is if I got 50% of my money back minimum.

As for the break, my old gibby LP had 3 of em.....the first was an act of sabatoge....someone purposefully pushed it off its stand, the second happend right in the case laying flat on the ground totally undisturbed and in a neutral climate, I was talking with a freind when there was a loud sickening crunch, similar to bone break and the case lept a few inches...opend it up expecting the worse and wasnt disappointed.....third break happend when changing a string, we parted ways soon after.

Good luck, but dont dream of paying full price for a broken guitar, repaired or not.

16. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

:hmm: Wanna know how a gibson headstock seperates from the neck, in the case and packed for war??...dont loosen the strings and ship it, call Ed Roman in Las Vegas, Nevada. He'll tell ya some stories about the weakest link in a Gibson Les Paul, The Epi's dont break like that because the headstock is at a different angle (less of a degree) But the Gibby's?...dont loosen the strings and ship in different temps and jostle em around a bit...headstock breaks off, neck looks like a sward and headstock looks like the mirror image, no shattering...Typical Gibby shipping damage, NOT your fault, But the repair could cost as much as $2,000.00 U.S......so, Bro, File the claim! Dispute charges with the card co. first and right after ya MAKE A COPY OF THE LETTER FOR YOUR FILES-ya file a claim with Paypal, Trust me on this one, by the time the card co. has its way with paypal, you'll get your money back:dude:

17. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Who ships guitars without loosening the strings? Fundamental, my dear Watson. (or was that Elementary)?

18. qwank

qwank Senior Member

i just recieved a brand new Guitar from Gibson today. it was in tune when i opened the box:shock:

19. Pink_Floyd

Pink_Floyd Senior Member

You sure it was/is not just down a half step? Can be hard to notice sometimes.

20. qwank

qwank Senior Member

its possible, i was playing around with the locking tuners before i actually tuned and played it. but i figured the strings would have been looser then a half step down either way