Bottom Snare Mic'ing?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kfowler8, Oct 2, 2017.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Yeah I thought about that. That would certainly work. I've been trying out the TB on the top snare SM57 to tone shape it a bit more. I haven't been able to lock into a snare sound I really like yet. Worth a shot for experimenting at least.

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Right on. This kind of comment is usually taken wrong, but.....

Does your drummer know how to tune the drums? I have found that when a drummer REALLY knows tuning and head selection (along with actually changing heads) then the drum itself manages to sound good without much effort.

We stopped using any dampening on the snare. I also stopped putting the top mic right near the head. It is placed back a little with maybe an inch between the capsule and the rim of the drum. I also point it more toward the center of the drum as opposed to angle down severely....

3. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

No, in fact he barely knows how to play. He basically only knows one set of beats and fills. Did I mention I'm the drummer?

Seriously, I have a friend that's the read drummer that I use for final recordings. Other than that I use the kit to help develop the songs. He's a good drummer but not much help with tuning. I've tried some different techniques and have a drum gauge. It definitely helps taking the guess work out of it.

mmd likes this.
  4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

That's the drummer's kit. No idea what model but I know he has old kits...Ludwigs and Gretch kits. And he collects old Zildjians made in Turkey.

Agreed, it is an adjust to taste thing for me....phase and time alignment.

Phantom power in itself won't harm your ribbon mic. As long as the mic is plugged in before the phantom is switched on (and unplugged after phantom is switched off).
    And your cables need to be in good working order.
    The ribbon mic killer was largely the patch bay. If phantom is hot as you plug in a TRS there's a momentary imbalance of voltage on one leg as the plug passes the contacts and that is what kills the mic.

5. yeti

yeti Senior Member

^^^^^
    Beat me to it, Freddy. But since it's really easy to forget that you're powering the mic by default I think that the risk of damaging a ribbon is real. I am as guilty as the next guy to forget to turn phantom power off before unplugging a mic. It doesn't happen often but it does happen in the heat of the moment. you can easily build a cable that strips power, or use a transformer.

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

LOL, gotcha.